Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Episode 1312

Aired: Tuesday July 6, 1971

Liz is walking around her hospital room slowly and taking deep breaths as Roger enters. He asks her what she's doing out of bed, and she says he shouldn't worry about her. "I'm feeling much stronger, and the nurses suggested that I move around to aid my recovery," she adds. Roger says that he's "amazed at her rapid progress. I was so worried about you, I was." She smiles and puts her hand on his cheek saying "I'm going to be perfectly fine. I've been placed into the best hands possible."

After the titles, Angelique and Stokes are having a pleasant conversation at the old house about what Angelique thinks of the 20th century. Stokes asks her if she "shares Barnabas' stubborn attachment to the past, living in a house with no electricity or telephones." Angelique smiles and says that while she also finds the past "comfortable and romantic" she also plans to "enjoy all that these modern times have to offer. I especially like that women seem, well, stronger. Barnabas' cousin Elizabeth is in charge of the family business, Julia Hoffman is a doctor. There seems to be no end." Stokes agrees as Quentin enters, followed by Carolyn and Barnabas. Carolyn congratulates Angelique, as does Quentin with a peck on the cheek. Quentin tells Stokes he came to talk to him, and Angelique tells Carolyn that "We should go upstairs and get better acquainted as the men discuss their business." Carolyn laughs a bit and comments "You have such an old fashioned way about you, Angelique. No wonder you're so well suited to Barnabas." They go upstairs, and Stokes tells Quentin "You've come to ask me what I've discovered about our miss Hopkins. I was planning on telling you at Collinwood later, but here you are. You'd better sit down, Quentin. You may not like what you hear." Quentin doesn't like hearing that either.

At the hospital, Roger confronts Liz about Alan moving into Collinwood. Liz says that it makes "perfect sense" since "who else would know better about how to oversee my recovery?" Roger suggests Julia Hoffman, and Liz agrees that Julia is a fine doctor, but Alan is the "top man in this field, even if he wasn't a close friend as well." Roger reminds Liz that she hasn't seen this "close friend" in years, and Liz answers that they "seem to have picked up right where we left off." Roger says "Liz, we're all older now," but Liz snaps back "But not too old. I will live my life however I please, and I need not answer to anyone." Roger tells her "I'm only worried about you. I know how vulnerable you can be when you're trying to be strong. I don't want to see you hurt again like with Paul, or taken advantage of the way Jason McGuire did. I know you think of Alan Slater as more than just your doctor." Liz smiles at Roger and thanks him for his concern, and adds that "Alan is different, Roger. He's a good man. I trust him. Soon, in time, I know you will too." Roger looks skeptical.

Stokes tells Quentin and Barnabas that he has done some research into the "kinds of sorcery" practiced by Petofi that "has been recorded. Granted, not all of his activities are known, which leaves large gaps in anyone's true understanding of his enormous powers." Quentin asks him what he's found out about Daphne, and Stokes answers that "I only have a theory, but the more I think about it, the more I am convinced I do not have the complete answer. I believe that Daphne Hopkins and the Daphne Harridge of the 19th century who speaks through her may well be one in the same." Barnabas asks how that is possible, and Stokes answers that "It is not reincarnation, as far as I can tell. There is absolutely no record of Daphne Harridge existing for more than only a few months ago. I believe that Petofi was able to raise the spirit of someone long dead and re-embody them for his own purposes." Quentin snaps that he had already been under that impression, but Stokes answers "Yes. And you were afraid to tell Miss Hopkins of this theory in fear of terrifying her. But some of the material I researched seemed to imply that if this was indeed true, if she was a re-embodied spirit under Petofi's control, she would have no anchor in this reality without Petofi's power present." Quentin starts to think about this, and Stokes continues "In other words, with Petofi destroyed, she should have simply faded away."

Quentin insists that this is "ridiculous" since Daphne still very much exists. Barnabas wonders if that means they haven't truly destroyed Petofi. Quentin scoffs at this, and answers that "If that were true, he would have come back here already, seeking revenge." Barnabas asks Stokes how long it would take Daphne to "fade away" once Petofi was gone, and Stokes answers "It should have happened almost immediately. From everything I read, if my theory as to her origins are correct, there's no logical reason for her being here now." Quentin snaps that "there must be, since she's still here, Professor." Stokes says he's at a loss to explain how, and Quentin suggests that maybe the theory about Daphne's origins is false. Stokes says there's only one way he knows of to test the theory, and when Quentin asks what, Stokes grimly replies "We will need to exhume the grave of the 19th century Daphne Harridge Collins and see if there is a body inside it." Quentin and Barnabas look at each other.