Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Episode 1383

Aired: Wednesday October 13, 1971

After a replay of Tuesday's close and the titles, we are back at the old house in 1971. Harrison has paused in his story, but Barnabas looks at him and says "You're obviously not finished. What did you see in the drawing room?" Harrison looks at Barnabas sadly and answers "The destruction of the family." We flashforward to 2045 again as Harrison voiceover begins "I searched the drawing room for clues. I assumed that the spirits viewed me as a stranger unlike Quentin and were not threatened by me...." Harrison looks at the carpet and finds a large spot that has been burned black. He touches it and feels some ashes. He looks around a little more, and suddenly Sarah is back. "You shouldn't be in here!" she says. He sees her and says "Sarah! I heard you scream! I tried to get in here to help you!" Sarah turns away sad and says "You can't help me. That's the way it always happens, and then I'm back here. I don't know why." Harrison kneels before her again and says "Please tell me exactly what happens. I must know if I can help you." Sarah insists he can't, but Harrison takes out the crystal and says "See this? David told me I could use this to help you. After I read everything he wrote to me I should be able to stop this all from happening." Sarah looks at the crystal and wonders how, but then is suddenly scared. Harrison asks her why she is scared, and then looks up to see Barnabas, staring at him angrily. "You are a Collins...." Barnabas says. "You will never get this house back!" Harrison stands in front of Sarah and says "Leave her alone." Barnabas begins to laugh, and Harrison recognizes it as the laugh he heard before. "I know that laugh," Harrison says. "And then I heard the same voice crying in pain. Was that you as well? Why do you cry in pain?" Sarah says "Barnabas! Don't get angry with him! He doesn't know! He doesn't know!" Barnabas looks at Harrison angrily, and Harrison is taken aback by the icy stare. "You will die here, Collins," Barnabas says. Harrison looks at Barnabas and sees his eyes are red and bloodshot, filled with hate. We get the impression that Harrison will not forget this glare. Sarah runs out from behind Harrison and says "Don't hurt him, Barnabas! You promised!" Barnabas brushes Sarah aside and begins to move toward Harrison menacingly. Harrison backs away but is trapped.

Harrison cannot get away as Barnabas slowly walks towards him, but again the clock strikes. Barnabas suddenly turns away from Harrison and faces the doors of the drawing room, which open by themselves. Harrison calls to him by name and asks him what is happening, but now Barnabas ignores him. "Barnabas! Why do you cry in pain?" Harrison yells, but Barnabas ignores him. Sarah tells Harrison "You can't be in here! You can't!" Harrison looks at her and says "Why not?" Suddenly, Angelique walks in, zombielike as before. Barnabas sees her and smiles, and takes her into his arms with a kiss. Harrison is not thrilled to see this, but before he can get over his jealousy, Barnabas suddenly pushes Angelique away and holds out his hand towards her. She is standing over the blackened spot on the floor as Barnabas says "And come hellfire, which shall consume her! Hellfire!" Angelique screams as flames suddenly surround her. Harrison lunges at Barnabas, but passes right through his ghost and falls to the floor. "I call upon you, my master, to destroy them all!" Barnabas yells. Carolyn appears in the flames and screams as she burns. Elizabeth appears next and shrieks as she burns as well. Barnabas laughs as Harrison watches, and next Sarah screams as her spirit drifts into the flames. Barnabas suddenly drops his hand and yells "No! No! What have I done? What have I done?" Barnabas spins around towards Harrison and angrily says "You.... you did this! I will destroy you!" Harrison starts to back away, but then sees that Barnabas is not looking at him, but at his reflection in the window. "I will destroy you!" Barnabas says again. Barnabas no longer has the red bloodshot eyes, but his reflection in the window, smiling back at him, does. Barnabas walks right by Harrison to the desk and takes out a gun. He puts it to his head and only says "Die! You will die!" Harrison is shocked as we see his reaction to the gunshot we hear next. The smoking gun drops to the floor and the blood looks fresh again. Harrison looks at the gun as it vanishes and then sees that the room is once again quiet and he is alone. He is out of breath.

Harrison gets up and is still trying to recover from what he's seen. He checks the crystal is still in his pocket and starts to walk out of the drawing room. Sarah is sitting on the stairs. "It always happens like that," she says. "All those people...." Harrison says. "They were the family that David told me about. Did I just see how they died?" Sarah doesn't answer. "Barnabas said hellfire. How could he conjure up hellfire? What was he, Sarah?" Sarah answers "I can't tell you. He'll get angry with me." Harrison thinks a moment and says "Why are you the only one who can reappear and speak?" Sarah shrugs. "You were the last one.... you were the last one when Barnabas broke away....." Sarah walks away from him and says "You can't stay here. He knows you're here. He knows you know!" Harrison thinks about that a moment, and then notices the portrait of Barnabas on the wall. "Him...." Harrison says. "The clothes are different.... why?" Sarah answers "You ask a lot of questions. Can we play a game instead? I never get to play games anymore." Harrison says "I'm sorry about that. But if you can answer one more question, I may be able to change things so that you can." Sarah looks at Harrison and wonders. "Why is Barnabas so angry at everyone?" Harrison asks. Sarah thinks a moment and answers "He was only really angry at Angelique." Suddenly, loud crashes are heard. Harrison looks away, as Sarah screams and vanishes. He yells "Sarah! Come back! Tell me more!" The clock strikes again. Angelique appears at the top of the stairs and begins to walk down, zombielike. Harrison grimaces in disgust and watches as the drawing room doors open again, as the scene is about to be reenacted. He dashes to the front doors and runs out of the house.

Old David sleeps in a chair in the library we saw earlier. Harrison enters with some tea and nudges him awake. David thanks him for the tea, and Harrison says "I still can't over what I saw there." David answers that "The destruction has been reenacted continuously. An endless loop of time repeating." Harrison replies "Endless suffering. For that poor child's spirit. And for that woman... that beautiful woman. Do you remember her, grandfather?" David nods, and Harrison continues "Quentin. He killed Quentin. No doubt finishing what he started all those years ago. It's a good thing you never went back, grandfather. He would have killed you as well, I'm sure of it." David says that this may be true, but "you have the crystal now. You managed to open the vortex, just as I theorized. You must practice your concentrations. You must focus on the time before the destruction." Harrison looks at the crystal as David continues. "You must step through the vortex and solve the mystery of the past. You must undo what has been done!" Harrison looks at David and says "And what if I do? What will happen to this world, the world I know?" David thinks a moment and answers "I don't know. But some things will change for the better. Your father will no longer lose his life as he did returning to Collinwood when you were only a baby." Harrison is shocked to hear this, and David continues "Yes... that's how it happened. And now you know that Quentin will no longer die as well." Harrison studies the crystal and says "I never knew my father... and Quentin....." David says "Quentin will not have died if you are successful." Harrison "So I risk changing this world I know or I spend the rest of my days in it, haunted by the memories of all those suffering souls...." David says "As I have been haunted. Harrison, you must try!" Harrison looks at David and smiles. "I'll try," he says. We fade back to the old house in 1971 as Barnabas says "And it's clear you've succeeded in getting back to this time." Harrison says yes, but "I have no succeeded in solving the mystery I came to solve. I've only succeeded in getting to know better the people I know are doomed to be destroyed. I have no idea how to prevent it. That's why I've revealed myself to you." Barnabas looks at Angelique and then back to Harrison, sadly saying "I have no idea how to prevent it either."