Monday, October 19, 2009

Episode 1401

Aired: Monday November 8, 1971

In a replay of Friday's close, Valery is coming downstairs, and tells Benjamin "Grandmother is asleep." Benjamin says "Good. I'm glad to hear the new tonic she is taking is helping her to rest." Valery looks at Benjamin and says "I wished you believed my motivations for helping her are genuine." Benjamin looks at her sternly and says "I'd like to believe it." He turns and starts to head upstairs, but there is a knock at the door. Benjamin comes back downstairs and opens the door. "Yes, can I help you?" he says. Harrison enters, dressed in 1897 clothing. "Hello, my name is Harrison Collins." Benjamin asks "Collins?" Harrison says "Yes. I've been traveling throughout the country, and I discovered my distant relation to the Collins family of Maine. I am a cousin....from New York. I've come to visit for a while." Harrison smiles at Benjamin, who gives him a nervous smile in return. Valery steps forward and says "New York! I've never been to New York....I hear it's quite beautiful." Harrison takes her hand and kisses it, saying "Not as beautiful as some of the sights of Collinwood, I assure you." Valery smiles at Harrison as Benjamin looks at him suspiciously.

After the titles, Benjamin tells Harrison he "had no idea" they had any relatives in New York. Harrison thinks a moment and tells him that he's from a "distant branch of the family. I believe my ancestor's cousin founded the Maine lineage." Benjamin admits he's "no expert" on the family history. Valery leads Harrison into the drawing room and wants to hear all about what New York is like. Benjamin eyes him suspiciously and asks him how long he intends to stay in Collinsport. Harrison looks at Valery a moment and answers "I hadn't thought about it too much. I suppose it will depend on how I get along with all of you." Meanwhile upstairs, Beth is taking a tray of food away from the sleeping Grandmother Catherine (Isabella Hoopes). Catherine stirs a bit and Beth asks her if she's feeling okay. Catherine answers "I'm not dead yet, if that's what you mean." Beth tells her not to "talk so dour." Catherine answers that "I must talk to everyone in the family before my time comes, and it is coming soon." Beth replies that there's no way of knowing when "your time" will come, but Catherine insists she has "seen things beyond this world." Beth asks her if she wants the food back, and Catherine says no. "Has Quentin arrived yet?" she asks Beth. Beth shakes her head no. Catherine smiles and asks Beth if she thinks Quentin will return to Collinwood with "yet another prospective bride." Beth turns away and looks sad. Catherine asks Beth "You wouldn't like that would you?" Beth turns to Catherine but cannot say anything.

Harrison is telling an attentive Valery all about his supposed life in New York while Benjamin watches him with a frown. Edward enters the room and excuses himself for interrupting, but Benjamin tells him to hold on and introduces "our cousin Harrison, from New York." Edward shakes his hand, but also says he had no idea they had any family in New York. Harrison repeats his story about just finding out about the Collins family of Maine, and Edward scoffs "You've only recently heard of us? Our family is well known in New York and all over the eastern seaboard!" Valery tells Edward not to be rude, and Edward answers that he wasn't being rude, just honest. Valery tells Harrison she'd love to talk with him later and leaves the room after scowling at Edward. Edward pours himself a drink and asks Harrison how long he is staying, and Benjamin answers that "it seems his stay may be indefinite." Edward raises an eyebrow and says "Really?" before marching over to Harrison and confronting him angrily. "Listen to me, young man. I don't know who you are or if you are some long lost relative, but if you've come here to pick the bones of my grandmother for this family's wealth, you've got a fight on your hands..." Harrison steps back and says "Please, Edward... you misunderstand me. I don't know anything about your grandmother..." Benjamin interjects "But you do know of this family's wealth." Harrison looks at Benjamin, and then at Edward. "I have no interest in the family wealth. I am a man of independent means. I want no part of any family struggles, nor do I make any claims other than to meet and get to know my relatives." Edward harumphs, and answers "Well, in that case, let me pour you a drink." Benjamin apologizes to Harrison, and tells him that "the family has been under a lot of strain lately with our grandmother's illness. I hope you will understand." Harrison tells Benjamin he does as Edward remains cold. "Where are you staying in town?" Benjamin asks. Harrison tells him he hasn't decided yet, and Benjamin, after looking at Edward's refusal to apologize, offers Harrison a room at Collinwood. "After all, you are family," he adds. Harrison smiles and accepts the offer as Edward frowns.

Beth is setting up Harrison's room and asking him about New York when Valery enters. Valery asks Beth if she's heard anything from Quentin, and Beth says no. Harrison plays dumb and asks who Quentin is, and Valery tells him "my cousin. Edward and Benjamin's brother." Harrison remarks that "Edward didn't seem too happy about my arrival." Valery laughs and says that Edward is never happy about anything. Harrison says that Benjamin seemed very nice, and Valery looks a little sad. "Yes, he can be," she says. "Edward has had a bad influence on him, I'm afraid, since Benjamin's fiancee broke their engagement he's been more suspicious of people, especially women." Harrison looks at her and adds "Especially you?" and then apologizes for being so forward. Valery says it's okay, and tells him "I'm sure you'll get along better with Quentin. You seem so gallant... I can see how you and he could be great friends." Harrison smiles and says "Perhaps you're right." Beth leaves and walks down the hallway when she bumps into Edward. Edward asks her how "grandmother is doing." Beth says "she seems very healthy." Edward assures Beth that "there'll always be a place for you at Collinwood....provided that you show your loyalty." Beth sneers "To who? I wouldn't be so overconfident about becoming master of this place." Edward snaps that she has no right to speak in that manner, and Beth walks away ignoring him. He angrily moves down the hall.

Catherine is sitting up in bed as Benjamin sits with her. She tells him how much he reminds her of Bramwell. He thanks her, but asks her "I wonder if I have his strength..." Catherine tells him that he "must move on" after the loss of his fiancee, but Benjamin answers "I don't think I shall ever marry. I will be content to help run the family business." Catherine scoffs that a man "needs children...even Edward has a son. Quentin will marry some day and have a family.... so should you. Your cousins Judith and Carl are both married.... stop feeling sorry for yourself." Benjamin tells her not to get too excited, "remember what the doctor said." Catherine says that "It doesn't matter. My time is running short. I only want to see Quentin return before I tell you all of my final intentions..." Benjamin insists "Grandmother, please don't talk so morbidly..." Meanwhile outside, Valery is leading Harrison towards the door of grandmother's room. "You need to be introduced to my grandmother Catherine," she tells him. "After all, you are staying in her house." Harrison asks how sick she is, and Valery says "She needs constant care, but I think she'll live for a quite a long while yet. I've always been very close to her. She told me stories about her growing up, about her sister, about my grandfather and how they fell in love." Harrison tells Valery that "she sounds wonderful." Valery opens the door and enters, walking in on Benjamin and Catherine's conversation. "I'm sorry, " Valery says. "But I wanted you to meet our new houseguest. He's a cousin from New York named Harrison Collins." Catherine sits up and says "Harrison Collins? New York? I didn't know we had family there... let me get my glasses and get a better look at you..." She gets her eyeglasses from a nightstand and fumbles with them as Harrison enters the room and steps into the light. "I'm very pleased to meet you," he says. But when she gets the glasses on and gets a good look, she's suddenly terrified! She cowers back from him in her bed and screams "Morgan! Morgan! NOOO!"