Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Episode 1403

Aired: Wednesday November 10, 1971

Grayson Hall's voiceover: "Harrison Collins, after saving the Collins family of the present from destruction, has passed through the mirror of time into a strange parallel world in the year 1897. He finds himself caught in the middle of a family struggle over the future of the Collins family in this timeband....but little does he know that the mysteries of this strange world are only deepening..."

In the old house, Judith Collins (Joan Bennett) sits doing needlepoint as young Nora (Sharon Smythe) runs up to her with a ball of yarn. Judith thanks her, and asks her if she's seen her father. Nora says "he just woke up, I think." Judith looks concerned and says "It's very late to just be waking up..." Walking down the stairs, groggy, is Carl Collins (John Karlen). Judith takes one look at him and sends Nora out to play. "You were drinking again last night," she says. Carl looks at her and sneers "You're my sister, not my mother. I'm a big boy and I'll do what I want." Judith says "You have to stop punishing yourself every time this anniversary comes up! Carl, you need to move on with your life!" Carl humphs, and says "My life? My life ended five years ago this very night, when my Jenny was taken from me!" He storms out of the house and slams the door. Judith starts to follow when her spinster sister Alice Collins (Grayson Hall) enters the living room and sneers "I see our brother has begun his annual bender." Judith scowls at her and says "You could do more to help him than simply pass judgment!" Alice sneers.

After the titles, Quentin is having coffee in the drawing room when Benjamin enters. He tells Quentin that "grandmother had a good night...she seems much better this morning." Quentin doesn't say anything but only looks at Benjamin sadly. Benjamin asks what is wrong, and Quentin says nothing. Benjamin closes the doors and says "You did see her, didn't you? That's why you're being so secretive. Please, tell me!" Quentin takes a deep breath and says "I don't know how to tell you when you're so worried about our grandmother." Benjamin asks "Then you did see her. And from your tone, I'll assume that she refused my letter and will not be coming back here." Quentin says "It's more than that. When I got your telegram in Paris, I tried to relay your letter to Kitty. I wound up following her halfway around the world while she looked for art for her collection." Benjamin asks "You followed her?" Quentin says "Yes. I thought if I stayed with her I could bring her back here with me. I know how much you care about her." Benjamin says "But you didn't bring her back." Quentin faces Benjamin and says "I couldn't, Benjamin. She died." Benjamin is shocked to hear this. Meanwhile, Carl enters the Blue Whale and goes to the bar. After a moment, Sheriff Gladstone (Chris Pennock) enters the bar and sees Carl. Gladstone walks to him and says "I knew I'd find you here on this day." Carl asks Gladstone if he'll drink with him. Gladstone answers "Not right now. I don't want you to drink too much either, Carl. I may have something on your wife's murderer." Carl is interested.

Benjamin can't believe that "my Kitty" is dead, but Quentin says that she died in a fire in Persia. "I'm sorry to be the one to tell you," Quentin adds. Benjamin blames himself for "driving her away" but Quentin turns away and says "It wasn't you, Benjamin, it was her. I don't think she was the person you thought she was." Benjamin asks him what he means, and Quentin says "Oh, it doesn't matter now. What matters now is that you move on and find someone else." Benjamin says he doesn't know if he can right away. "I'm afraid I don't have your manner when it comes to women," he adds. Quentin quips "I'd be happy to teach you." Benjamin smiles and says "Edward would accuse you of having that affect on Jamison." Quentin sneers and says "Edward is hardly a father to that boy. He forced Jamison's mother out of this house and seems determined to do the same to the rest of us. Well, dear brother, I intend to keep that from happening, any way I can." Benjamin wonders what he means. At the old house, Judith tells Alice that they should find Carl so that they can go to the main house and meet "our New York cousin." Alice says that Carl is "probably down at the docks, drinking. Why don't you go get him?" Judith tells Alice "Perhaps I should, since he trusts me more than you anyway." Alice starts to fix her hair in the mirror as Judith leaves.

At the Blue Whale, Carl asks Gladstone "What do you mean you have new information?" Gladstone takes Carl to a table and takes out a folder filled with papers and old newspaper clippings. "Now you know I'm also very interested in this case, Carl. The same man who killed your wife five years ago also killed my best deputy...and my friend. I swore I'd bring him to the gallows for what he did, but then he just vanished. But look here.... in these newspapers. I've found a pattern!" Carl looks through the clippings and reads aloud "The Bangor Gazette...1887...and the Portland Call from 1882....the Durham Star from 1877.... five year intervals. All these papers are five years apart." Gladstone smiles excitedly and says "Exactly. And look at the stories.... each time, a string of five murders. Every victim with their throats slashed and...." Carl reads from the papers continuing "...and their hands chopped off. All the same! It must be the same killer!" Gladstone answers "Yes. Somehow, this maniac turns up in a different town every five years and kills five people before vanishing again." Carl says "Do you think it's really all the same man?" Gladstone points at the papers and says "None of these other killings have ever been solved. Only in Durham, they hung some poor devil who swore his innocence until the end... I'm starting to believe he really was innocent." Carl says "But how can you catch him? You still have no idea who you're looking for." Gladstone says "It's been five years to this very day. Look at the dates on those papers. It always begins and ends on the same exact day! I've notified all the law in this state as to my theory. If a victim turns up with the same clues, we'll know where to begin looking!" Carl tells Gladstone "I want you to get him! I want him dead for what he did to my Jenny!" Judith arrives and says hello to Gladstone. She tells Carl that they need to go back to Collinwood to meet their newly arrived cousin from New York. "Someone after the money? Carl says sarcastically. Judith says "No. From what I understand, he's a man of independent means." Carl says "Well, in that case, I'd better meet him." Gladstone tells Carl he'll be in touch and Carl thanks him before leaving.

At Collinwood, Quentin opens the door and lets Carl and Judith in. He asks if Alice is coming, and Judith says "She's not here yet? I went to get Carl in town, I thought she'd be here by now." Quentin says "I'm sure she'll grace us with her appearance later." Judith asks "How is your grandmother?" Quentin smiles and says "I think she'll surprise us all and live to 100." Judith asks Quentin to tell her about his trip as Carl follows quietly. Quentin hesitates at offering him a drink, and Carl says "Don't worry, Quentin. I don't want a drink right now. For the first time in five years, I think I feel a sense of hope again." Judith asks Carl what he and the sheriff were discussing, and Carl answers "I think he's onto something. And if he's right, we may find the man who killed my Jenny." Meanwhile, Alice leaves the old house and heads into the woods. As she is walking, she hears the sounds of footsteps behind her. She turns to see and calls "Hello? Judith? Is that you?" but there is no answer. The footsteps speed up and fade in the distance. Alice is confused, but shrugs and continues on the path to Collinwood. Suddenly she stops and gasps - there is a body laying at her feet. Alice looks closely at it, and sees it is a dead woman - her throat has been slashed - and both her hands have been chopped off. Alice screams.