Monday, October 26, 2009

Episode 1406

Aired: Monday November 15, 1971

In a repeat of Friday's close, Kitty stands in the foyer of Collinwood. Quentin stares at her and she says "Quentin? Are you all right? You're looking at me most strangely." Quentin says "I'm sorry....it's just that I didn't expect to see you again." Kitty says "Life is full of surprises, isn't it? Well, I'd like to go upstairs and freshen up. I'll need some rest after my long journey." Quentin says slowly "Of course..." and watches her go upstairs. He bites his thumb and paces as Charity and Lucy watch him. "What's wrong?" Lucy asks. Charity adds "Quentin, I've never seen you like this. What's wrong?" Quentin says "I don't know.... it's Kitty, but it can't be. She died in Persia!" Lucy says "Died? Obviously she didn't! You must have gotten false news." Quentin says "No, you don't understand. I was there. I saw the fire, the building crumble. I even saw the little that was left of her...." He turns to face Charity and Lucy and says "I saw her die with my own eyes!" They don't know what to make of this when we cut to upstairs where Kitty has entered her room and is looking around. She passes the mirror and begins to adjust her hair but when she takes off her gloves, her hands are ancient and bony, with rotting flesh....

We are close on Kitty's gloved hands as she sips some tea in the drawing room. Benjamin is beaming and asking her about her trip. Quentin looks at her suspiciously as Lucy and Charity listen to her talk of "all the wonders I've seen in Persia and beyond." Quentin snaps "I saw a rather fascinating thing in Persia myself. A fire destroyed an ancient mosque. It collapsed in flames with some people inside." Kitty looks saddened and says "I know, Quentin, I saw it too. I barely got out through a passageway in the back when I was struck by some falling debris. The next thing I knew I was in a hospital hundreds of miles away with some memory loss. Luckily, I recovered after a few weeks and decided to return to Collinwood." She looks at Benjamin and smiles. "It was by reading your letter that I regained my memory, Benjamin. I had to come back to tell you that." He takes her hand and kisses the glove, but says "Kitty, your hand is so cold..." She pulls away and says that "it's nothing." Quentin says that "the attendants at the Mosque showed me a body. They said it was you, Kitty." Kitty answers "Well, they were obviously mistaken." Quentin nods. In walks Kitty's manservant, Evan Hanley (Humbert Allen Astredo). He tells her that her bags have been taken upstairs and that her room has been prepared. She puts down her teacup and says she will unpack her things. As she and Evan head upstairs, Lucy says "Where do you suppose she found him?" She slinks towards Quentin and says "I sure could use a man as attentive as that one." Quentin sneers "Well, maybe you should travel the world and see who turns up." Charity giggles as Lucy angrily leaves. Quentin pours himself a drink. Benjamin says "I must apologize for my brother, Charity. He sometimes speaks without thinking." Quentin smiles at Benjamin and says "Sometimes you think a little too much before you speak, Benjamin. I guess we just balance each other out." Benjamin asks Quentin what the point was of "all his questions" for Kitty, and Quentin says "I don't know, Benjamin, I don't know. I know I saw that burning building collapse on her, and the body they showed me was in the same spot where I saw her last." Benjamin tells Quentin he's being "ridiculous" since Kitty is obviously fine. Quentin looks at his drink and says "Yes...of course. I can see that as well as you."

Valery wanders by the fountain when Trask enters the garden. She asks him if he bas bisiness with her grandmother. He tells her that "no matter how lovely" she is, he can't tell her anything about the new will Catherine has drawn up. Valery asks him if he always flirts with women he suspects of greed. Trask laughs and says that as a lawyer, he deals with greedy people all the time. Valery tells him she wants to make sure that "none of my relatives have had an undo influence over Grandmother. As you know, Mr. Trask, at least one of my dear cousins would like to banish the rest of us from the estate." He smiles at her and asks her to call him Gregory. "And where would you go if you were banished?" he says with a smile. She insists that it's not a humorous subject. He tells her that she "has nothing to worry about. Your grandmother loves you a great deal, and would never allow anything like that." Valery says "I suppose that's all you can tell me." Trask adds "If you ever did leave Collinwood, I would certainly be honored to welcome you." He kisses her hand, and she is both surprised and flattered.

Trask has walked Valery around to the front door, and kisses her again as she goes inside. She enters the house rather bubbly and finds Charity. Charity asks her if she's seen "my brother," and Valery answers yes, and that he's headed back into town. "Your brother can be quite sweet when he wishes to," Valery adds. Charity is curious when Valery adds "Why do you suppose he's never married?" Charity says "He always says he's married to his work, but I'm never too sure about that." Valery says that it's a "shame" he never married since "he'd be a very good provider." Charity finally gets it and asks with a sly smile "Why this sudden interest in Gregory? You've known him for years and never said anything." Valery answers "I don't know, perhaps I never really noticed him before." Charity says "I can tell you right now, Valery, no matter how much you charm him, you'll never get him to tell you what's in your grandmother's will." Valery looks at Charity surprised as Charity adds "He's too ethical for that." We cut to Trask walking through the woods. He meets up with Alice, who smiles at him. "I saw you at Collinwood," Alice says. "I saw you walking with her." Trask takes Alice's hand and says "That you did, my dear. That you did. So far, everything is going exactly as we planned." Alice smiles as Trask kisses her.

Kitty unpacks her bags and directs Evan to hang her clothes up. Benjamin knocks before entering her room and asks her how she is settling in. She tells Evan to "leave us now," and he clicks his heels together before leaving. Benjamin remarks on what a diligent servant Evan seems to be, and Kitty agrees, closing the door. She slinks to Benjamin and takes him in her arms, planting a long kiss on him. When he comes up for air, he remarks how happy he is that "you have come back to me." Benjamin catches sight of them both in the mirror and remarks on what a handsome couple they make, but then Kitty steps away. Benjamin says "I'm sorry, I've done this before. Every time I've mentioned anything to do with betrothal, you've gotten frightened. I promise I won't pressure you this time." Kitty smiles and says "I wouldn't have returned here if I didn't expect you to act as you've always acted." Benjamin hugs her and tells her he will take her "into Collinsport tonight for a wonderful supper. And then we can walk along the piers, like you used to enjoy." He leaves her and Evan returns, closing the door behind him. Kitty continues to unpack ad Evan says "Well, they have certainly welcomed you back with open arms, especially in Benjamin Collins' case." Kitty says "And why not? He almost married me once. This time, I shall not let him or this estate get away." Evan laughs and says "If only he knew what marriage to you meant, my dear. If only he knew." Kitty barks "Silence! He will learn his place when the time comes.... just as you did." Evan answers "And for that I am grateful," then adding with a laugh "Eternally grateful." Kitty smiles at this remark and the two laugh.