Thursday, October 29, 2009

Episode 1409

Aired: Thursday November 18, 1971

David Selby's voiceover: "The world of parallel time, 1897, is a treacherous place for those who live at the great house at Collinwood. The dying matriarch of the family has set off a battle between her descendants for control of the estate. And as that battle ensues, the dark secrets of those who live here will be revealed..."

Quentin is walking through the hallway and knocks on a door. "Grandmother...are you awake?" She says yes from inside, and Quentin enters. He asks her how she's feeling, and she says she's feeling better now that she's rested. He sits down and tells her that he has something very important to talk to her about. "Always something important," she scoffs. "Everyone always has something important to tell me." Quentin says "This time it really is important. Now I don't know what you discussed with Mr. Trask the other day exactly, but..." She interrupts him, saying "All anyone wants to talk about is what I'll do with this estate..." Quentin answers "It's important! Grandmother, a lot of us are concerned about what we think you're demanding of us in terms of heirs. It's setting all of us against one another and leading others to get involved." Catherine asks how, and Quentin answers "Your Mr. Trask seems to be making romantic overtures to Valery." Catherine thinks about this.

After the opening titles, Harrison is sitting in the parallel time room when Valery enters. She asks him what he's doing in there, and he smiles, answering that it's his "favorite room in the house." Valery tells him that it's rather an odd choice. Harrison asks her what her favorite part of the house is, and she doesn't know an answer. "I had heard you sit in here for long stretches of time from the servants," Valery says. "I can't imagine why." Harrison says he likes to sit and think in "a room like this." We hear him thinking "How can I tell you where I'm really from... my own timeband in a different world....in a different Collinwood where the crystal that will give my ring the power that it needs sits undisturbed in an abandoned laboratory waiting for me to find it nearly 150 years in the future...and how this room is the only gateway to that world...." He looks at the portrait of Bramwell and says "Your grandfather was quite a man, from what I understand." Valery says "Yes. Grandmother always speaks glowingly of him and how he won her heart. He was from the poor side of the family, but once his ship came in from the East, he made good on his promise to his own father to become a success in shipping." Harrison remarks how he heard "something about the two of them conquering some curse in a haunted room." Valery laughs and says "I always thought Grandmother told us that story as children to frighten us into obeying her." Harrison tells her that he thinks she's too strong to be frightened easily. She asks him what makes him say that, and he answers "I've seen you stand up to your cousins since I've been here. Particularly Edward, who seems a rather stern sort." Valery answers "He is certainly that. But where do you fit in? Why did you decide to stay here, with all the arguing and fighting going on?" Harrison smiles at her and answers "I saw a beautiful woman in distress, and I thought I'd stay to lend a hand." Valery turns away and says "You are quite the charmer, Harrison Collins." Harrison answers "Well, you easily charm me. And I've been cooped up in this room far too long. Would you like to take a trip into the village? I'll take you shopping for anything you want." Valery says "You grow more charming by the minute, but I have to decline. I'm...meeting someone later. Perhaps some other time." Harrison answers "Yes, perhaps." Valery leaves, and Harrison looks at the portrait of Bramwell, wondering who Valery could be meeting.

Catherine tells Quentin that it's important that heirs are produced in the Collins family, but Quentin tells her that since everyone thinks that having an heir is a requirement to be included in the will, it's set Edward apart from everyone. "I never intended for all of you to fight like this," she says. "I only wanted to encourage you to settle down. You and Benjamin." Quentin tells her that while this may have been an admirable goal, it's had a bad result. "I think it's also compromised Trask's reliability," he adds. Catherine says it doesn't matter about Trask, since "I've discussed this with other lawyers some time ago. I've wondered about Trask's honesty for a time now... there is a true will, but it's not here..." Quentin, shocked, says "A true will? You've hidden it?" Catherine answers that she's very tired and doesn't want to discuss it anymore. Quentin wants to know more about the "true will," but Catherine starts to fall asleep, despite his pleading. He finally gives up and leaves the room, and then we see her open her eyes and smile.

Valery comes downstairs to answer the door, and it's Trask, who kisses her hand as he enters. He asks her if "the family is still angry with me." Valery tells him not to care, and the two start to head out just as Harrison comes down the stairs. He sees Trask, and Valery looks back at him for a moment. She sees the sadness and surprise in his face, as does Trask, who smiles and says "Good evening," before leading Valery out. The door closes, and Harrison walks to the drawing room sulking. Quentin is there having a drink, and offers Harrison one. "Thank you, I think I could use one right about now," Harrison says. "Oh?" Quentin asks. "You seem depressed about something. Sit here with me and join the club." Harrison takes his drink and asks Quentin "What do you know about that man Trask?" Quentin asks Harrison what his interest in Trask is, and Harrison only says "I just decided I don't like him." Quentin smiles and says "Well, in that case, I'll tell you whatever you want to know. I'm starting to think I don't like him much either." Harrison asks why, and Quentin says "I think he's trying to manipulate my grandmother, my cousin Valery, and this estate as well. Why don't you like him?" Harrison thinks a moment and answers "I guess I just don't like his looks." Quentin laughs and says "I think I know why you don't like him. You just saw him with Valery, didn't you?" Harrison says "Yes, I saw them go out." Quentin says "You've had your eye on Valery since you've gotten here. Now don't deny it... I can tell. I've seen that same look in myself when I've pursued some young woman. You, my friend, are suffering from the green eyed monster." Harrison laughs a little and says "You remind me a lot of....a very good friend of mine. He'd always give me a hard time whenever I chased the wrong woman, which was far too often." Quentin thanks Harrison and pours him another drink. Meanwhile, Valery and Trask are at the fountain, and he tells her that he doesn't want to "drive a wedge" between her and her family. She tells him that she already feels pretty estranged from the family as it is. "Have you ever thought about your future?" he asks. She says "not really." He smiles and says "I've been thinking about it a great deal lately. And I've decided that I want to be a part of it, very much." She is taken by this, and Trask takes her in his arms and kisses her. We pan up from them to a light in a high window, where we see Catherine watching them both.

Quentin tells Harrison that Trask is "no longer my only worry." Harrison asks what else is depressing Quentin, and Quentin answers "My grandmother is insistent on playing games with all of us. She told me she has a secret will hidden somewhere, and she wouldn't tell me anything more." Harrison asks if they should "interrogate" Trask about it, but Quentin answers "I don't think she told Trask about it either. Evidently the papers she's drawn up through him may be invalid. So I don't know if all of this 'produce an heir' chatter means anything at all." Harrison smiles and says "Why, are you suddenly in a rush to get married?" Quentin opens his eyes wide and says "No. Now way, no how." Harrison says "Well, you were observant enough to notice the way I look at Valery. I noticed the way you look at Lucy...or Beth....or even Charity." Quentin gulps his drink and says "You are very observant." Harrison answers "Like I said, you remind me of a very good friend of mine." Quentin says he's got to find out about that will "before everyone around here is at each other's throats." Harrison says "You may be worried over nothing. Perhaps your grandmother will simply divide things up evenly." Quentin says "I doubt it. Someone's got to be master of Collinwood. And once she's gone, a lot of things could happen around here that may not be pleasant for some of us. Or me." Harrison thinks about this as Valery returns. She walks in to the drawing room and sees that Harrison and Quentin have been drinking. "Well, I see you two are getting on just fine," she says. Quentin says "I think you should know that grandmother does not think too highly of your Mr. Trask." Valery says "I'm sure grandmother will understand things once I explain them to her." Harrison says "I don't want you to get hurt either. You should be very sure of this man's motives before you..." Valery snaps "You too? After all of your gallantry, I see my cousins have influenced you as well. What is it about this house that poisons people? Well, I guess this is good a time as any to tell you both.... I have just become engaged to Gregory Trask, and there's nothing you can do about it!" Quentin and Harrison are both shocked.