Friday, November 13, 2009

Episode 1420

Aired: Friday December 3, 1971

After a replay of Thursday's close and the titles, Quentin is reading the will and looks shocked. Harrison asks him what it says and Quentin hands him the paper saying "I can't believe it.... I don't know whether to be shocked, or happy, or furious. I don't know how to react!" Harrison asks what it says, and Quentin says "She skipped over us all. She saw us all fighting over it and skipped over us all. We all get to live here, just like in that other will. But control of the estate is placed in trust for my nephew Jamison. All of it." Harrison reads it and says "We'll need to gather everyone, and especially Mr. Trask. Do you know any other lawyers in the village? He's sure to fight this." Quentin says "She knew he didn't care about the money and wouldn't do anything to hurt any of us. He was the only one she really trusted." But then Quentin stops Harrison and says "Wait... I thought of something much more frightening. There's a way to fight this that's much worse than lawyers arguing." Harrison answers that Trask may have married for money, but doesn't think he would "kill for it." Quentin says he won't allow anything to happen to Jamison since "he's almost like my own son. Sometimes I think he's the only one in this family I really love, I guess that's why I understand what she did." Harrison says "Well, we can keep this quiet for now, but we should make arrangements with another lawyer so that her wishes can be seen to." Quentin agrees, adding "And with Rachel back here, another complication has been added." We cut to Jamison going into the old house and finding Nora. She asks him if his grandmother's funeral was sad, and he says yes. "But what's worse is how everyone is fighting," he adds. Nora asks what they're fighting about, and Jamison says "What else? The money. When my cousin Valery inherited it all, my father was furious. I think he wanted it all to be able to throw my mother out for good this time." Nora asks Jamison if he's happy his mother came back, and he says yes, and then adds "I'd never do this if I had any money. I wouldn't want to make people fight like this." Nora laughs and tells Jamison that he doesn't have any money. Jamison says "Still, I wouldn't want to treat people like that." Nora asks "What about your Uncle Quentin? Was he fighting too?" Jamison says "Not really, he didn't seem to care that much. He's got the right attitude. I guess if I ever have a son like him, I'll leave him all the money I don't have right now." Nora laughs.

Carl sits at the Blue Whale with some papers and a drink when Charity Trask enters. She invites herself to sit down and tells Carl she was looking for her brother. "Oh, the new master of Collinwood?" he laughs. Charity says "that will take some getting used to." Carl says that he's never seen Edward so angry, "and that's saying a lot." Charity asks Carl if he was worried about the outcome of the will, and Carl shakes his head no, adding "There are things a lot more important than money in this world." Charity asks him what the papers are, and he says they're the evidence he and Gladstone have collected on "the maniac who killed my Jenny. That's what I meant just now about things more important than money. I lost the most important thing I had." Charity says she's sorry, but reminds Carl "You still have Nora. Isn't she the most important thing to you now?" Carl smiles and says yes, and admits "I guess I should spend more time with her. Jenny was always better with her than I am though... it's not easy." Charity thinks a moment and says "Look, forget about finding my brother. Why don't you and I go back and get Nora and take her into town? She must get so lonely stuck in the old house like that." Carl looks over his papers and says "But I really should study this evidence more..." Charity looks at him and says "Carl, you should let Gladstone solve the crimes around here. Stop looking at death all the time and live your life. Come on." Her charms win him over and he puts the papers back into a small bag he has before agreeing to go with her.

At the old house, Carl returns from town with Charity, Jamison and Nora. Nora says she had a wonderful time and thanks Charity for taking them. Jamison thanks her too, and says it's what he needed after "all the sad stuff" that's been happening lately. Carl tells Nora to get ready for bed, and "that means you'd better be heading back too, Jamison." Jamison tells Nora he'll come back tomorrow, and she runs upstairs. Jamison leaves, and Carl thanks Charity for "getting him out of my own little corner of despair." She says she'll do that "anytime" and he stops her before she leaves and says "I hope that's a promise." She smiles. Back at Collinwood, Jamison arrives and Quentin is coming down the stairs. He asks Jamison where he's been all day, and Jamison tells Quentin how he went to town with Charity, Nora, and Carl. "Carl?" Quentin asks. Jamison says yes, and that "Cousin Carl is really very nice. When he's not sad like he usually is, he's very nice." Quentin thinks this over a moment as Jamison says "I'd better get upstairs before my father yells at me." Quentin smiles and says "Look Jamison, I have a feeling that your father won't be yelling too much at you anymore." Jamison asks him why, and Quentin remembers to keep the secret, and only says "Well, er...because now that your mother is here, she won't have any part of it." Jamison runs upstairs as Quentin watches him and thinks "Jamison.... how do I protect you from your own family?" Back at the old house, Alice enters and finds Carl listening to music and acting generally giddily. She asks him if he's drunk again, and he shouts "No, dear Alice! I am as sober as a churchmouse!" Alice says she doesn't believe him and is going to bed, and he says that he's a "new man." Alice goes into her room to get ready for bed when suddenly the lights go out and the door slams shut. She shouts "Who is it? What's going on? when she hears some cackling laughter. From out of the darkness, Catherine's ghost appears laughing. Alice screams "Get away! Get away!" and is terrified. She tries to open the door, but it is shut tight. Catherine laughs and says "Dear Alice...dear sweet Alice....dear sweet murderous Alice...." She laughs more as Alice struggles with the door but cannot get out. Catherine smiles and says "You showed me my death, Alice...and now I am going to show you your own....." Alice screams "No! No!' Suddenly, Alice sees herself appear out of the darkness as Catherine waves her arm and says "Behold...." Alice is wearing different clothes and is standing still. And then, from out of the darkness comes a large figure, dressed all in black and wearing a strange black mask with a leering face on it. The figure lifts a shiny scimitar and approaches that Alice as the terrified live Alice watches helplessly. The black figure slashes at the other Alice with the scimitar, severing her hands and slashing her throat as the live Alice screams and Catherine laughs. "Do you see now?" Catherine cackles. "Behold your own fate!" The other Alice turns towards us with blood dripping from her throat and holds up her handless arms and begins to cackle along with Catherine as the live Alice screams and struggles with the door.