Friday, November 27, 2009

Episode 1430

Aired: Friday December 17, 1971

After a replay of Thursday's close, Gladstone looks through the book more and we hear him think "All the intended victims are here... but for each year, the handwriting looks different....but in this section, for this year...." He slams the book shut. "It's my own handwriting!" he says aloud, exasperated. "What is this place? What is happening here?" He turns to see the mask begin to glow with an eerie green light. At first, he is scared, but as the mask glows, he puts the book back on the table and stands mesmerized by it. He starts to smile as he looks at the mask. "Yes...." he says. "I understand." He walks to the scimitar and takes it off the wall. He examines it and smiles. "I will....I will!" he says with a strange smile. Back at Collinwood, Valery is alone and sad in a west wing room when Harrison enters. He asks her if he's disturbing her, and she says "perhaps I could use some disturbing. When I think of the mess I've made of my life..." He tells her that "your situation can be easily fixed. Of course, we cannot get your father back, and I'm sorry for that. But as far as this business with Trask is concerned..." Valery says she's afraid to do anything that might hurt the rest of the family "since I have no idea what kinds of papers he tricked me into signing." Harrison tells her that "none of that will matter once the real will is put into place. All Quentin has to do is see to some things first, like protecting you." Valery smiles at him and says "And that's a job you've volunteered for?" He smiles back and says "I suppose I could be persuaded." He takes her hand, and she gets a little shy. "I suppose I'm also rather obvious," he says. She says "I don't know, Harrison Collins. Something tells me you're also a man who has his share of secrets." He's intrigued by her perception.

Trask is looking grumpy and having a drink in the drawing room. Charity enters and scowls at him. He asks her why she is "looking so glum," and then thinks a moment, adding "Ah, perhaps you've talked to Quentin. And about me." Charity says "I've talked to more than just Quentin. And I can't believe what they're saying! I can't believe that you're doing what you're doing! After we've known these people for years! Both our families go back so long!" Trask says "There is no need to remind me. And look how far we've come, from our great grandfather's failing bakery on the waterfront to the halls of Collinwood!" Charity says "This house isn't worth your soul, Gregory! How could you trick Valery into signing away her rights like that?" Trask closes the doors and says "Charity, you've got to trust me." Charity yells that "you aren't trustworthy anymore! And it wasn't only Quentin, it was Carl! I care about Carl! He had no reason to suspect anything until he overheard you and Alice!" Trask tells her to calm down, and that "It's Alice who is really the... oh, never mind." He turns away from Charity, but her curiosity is piqued. "Alice?" she asks. "What do you mean?" Trask says "Nothing, I cannot tell you." Charity faces him and says "You've got to tell me." Trask says "Alice is obsessed with taking over the property. She found out about an old case of mine....from years ago, I didn't think anyone would ever look it up. She knows things that I'd rather she didn't, I don't want to go into details, and...." Charity gasps and says "She's blackmailing you?" Trask gulps his drink and says "Dear sister, what I just told you cannot leave this room!" Charity says "But if there really is a second will, what will Alice do to you? Quentin said the other will leaves you and Valery out!" Trask says "This has weighed heavily on my mind." Charity tells Trask that he'll "have to expose Alice." Trask grabs Charity and says "Not a word! Alice is very unstable! You heard about her violent visions of killers! I don't want to do anything to put anyone in danger! Especially you! Or Carl! Or.... his child! That's why you must leave this to me, and not tell anyone what I just told you." Charity reluctantly agrees and leaves the room. Once she's gone, Trask pours another drink and chuckles to himself. "This is all working out perfectly," he says with a smile.

Harrison enters Jamison's room and finds him reading Kitty's book on ancient history. "I heard you changed your mind about going to Boston with your mother," Harrison says. Jamison says yes, since he "would find it boring." Harrison tells him that Boston is a "fascinating city" and that he should "give it a chance." Jamison says "No, I think it's a boring city. There are much more interesting things in these books, actually." Harrison asks Jamison if Quentin going along would make the trip more interesting, and Jamison answers "Why would Uncle Quentin make any difference? My place is here." Harrison wonders why the boy is so cold when Benjamin enters with another book. "I found the other book you wanted," Benjamin says, excusing himself to Harrison. Harrison tells Jamison he'd like to play some chess with him later since "your Uncle Quentin says you are quite good, " and Jamison keeps reading, only saying "Perhaps." Harrison leaves and Benjamin closes the door. "He can be an annoying man," Jamison says. "We may have to deal with him too." Benjamin says "In due time. We both know there is someone much more immediate that must be dealt with." Jamison nods and says "Yes. My father. He would insist on controlling the estate through me once the real will is read." Benjamin says with an evil smile "Kitty and I have thought of that as well. Wouldn't you rather be with us, and not your father or mother?" Jamison says yes. "After all," Benjamin says. "if anything were to happen to Edward and Rachel, I would have to become your legal guardian, as the next eldest." Jamison smiles and says "And then Miss Soames would also be my legal guardian?" Benjamin says "Exactly. You may even call her mother." Jamison says "Then it must be done. We must do what she wishes." Benjamin says "Yes, we must." He takes a knife from under his jacket. "And we both know what we must do." Jamison looks at the knife and smiles.

Lucy is organizing Jamison's books. Jamison enters the room and asks her what she's doing. She says that she was putting his history books away so that she could prepare his math lessons. He tells her that he doesn't feel like studying math right now, and that he's feeling very tired. Lucy asks him if he thinks he's getting sick, and he angrily says he feels fine, only tired, and tells her to "leave my room. I want to lie down for a while." She tells him to be more polite, and he apologizes, but again says he wants to lie down. She turns out the lights and leaves the room. After a moment, he gets up and goes to the desk. He takes the knife Benjamin gave him from the drawer and sneaks out of his room. Lucy, who was waiting in the hallway, follows him. Meanwhile, Charity walks in on Harrison and Valery, and says she must talk to Valery. Harrison offers to leave, but Valery insists that he stay, adding "anything you want to tell me Harrison can hear." Charity tells Valery not to judge her brother too harshly since "you don't know the whole story." Valery says she knows enough of it, and Charity says "Yes, I thought the worst too, but I've found out some other things.... I can't tell you about them now, but please trust me. I'm going to make things right for you. I promise." Harrison wonders about this. We cut to outside, where Jamison is walking through the woods with the knife. He stops at the spot we've seen before, and waits. Lucy is behind him, and also stops to watch what Jamison is doing. Jamison stands still as the altar appears before him, with the flame burning. He smiles. Lucy can't believe what she is seeing as Jamison holds the blade in the flame for a moment. He suddenly cries out in pain as the hot knife handle burns his hand, but he doesn't let go. Lucy reveals herself by shouting "Jamison! Let go of it!" He turns his head to face her, his eyes filled with hatred, and he yells "You cannot be here! You cannot witness the ritual! You must die!" He turns his body to face Lucy, and moves towards her with the smoking hot knife in his hand.