Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Episode 1443

Aired: Wednesday January 5, 1972

After a replay of Tuesday's close and the titles, Gladstone has gotten up and leads Carl towards the hidden trap door in the woods. Carl clears the leaves and is about to go in when Gladstone says that he cannot follow him inside. "I don't want to go in there and change again...." Carl asks Gladstone why the "evil force" picked him, and Gladstone says he's not sure. "The only clue I found in there was a book... it's a book listing all the victims of the killer, going back years...and it lists victims yet to come....I'm warning you..." Carl thinks about this a moment, and says "I'll get that book and bring it out of there." Gladstone stops him and says "The scimitar... the killing blade...is down there too. Perhaps if we destroy that..." Carl tells him to wait there, and then starts down into the cave. Meanwhile, Lucy waits at the fountain and then Quentin shows up. He tells her that he got her note and wants to know what is so "urgent." Lucy tells him that she wanted to make sure no one could hear them, and Quentin asks her if this is to be a romantic meeting. "Enough!" she says. "I have to tell you this because I think you're the only one I can trust." Quentin asks her what secrets he would be most trustworthy with. She tells him it's about Beth, and "the way she died." Quentin says that according to Carl, Gladstone must have done it while possessed. Lucy says that the only reason Beth died was because she was running from "whatever Kitty is." Quentin asks her what she means, and she answers "You know it, deep down. Kitty is different since her return. There's something wrong about her...and everyone who seems to get too close dies! Even Jamison almost...." Quentin grabs her and says "You mean that Kitty had something to do with that night you followed Jamison into the woods?" Lucy says she's positive of it, and Quentin says "That altar you mentioned... I wonder if that's what my Uncle Roderick was onto.... I'm going to look over his notes and books. Perhaps he left a clue behind." Lucy tells Quentin to be careful, and that she's not sure whether or not they can trust Benjamin. Quentin asks her why, and Lucy says he's been acting strangely lately, and seemed "to do nothing" when I told him what had happened with Jamison. Quentin thinks a moment and says "And he was the one who found Beth.....I'll be wary of him." Before Quentin leaves, Lucy hugs him. He tells her that everything will be all right. Up in the window, we see Edward has been listening.

In the cave, Carl looks around carrying a lantern. He is shocked by the shelf of skeleton hands leading towards the end, where the hands are fresh and bloody. He finds the table with the book on it, as well as the cape, mask and scimitar hanging on the wall. We hear him think "All those bones....must be from all the victims...why? Why are they here? This book...the answers must be in it..." He picks up the book and starts to look through it. We hear him think "Gladstone was right! These people go back over a hundred years....every five years there are five names..." He starts to turn the pages faster until he hears an eerie sound. He slams the book shut and grabs the lantern. "Who is it? Who is there?" he shouts. "Show yourself!" A strange glow appears near the mask, and a note suddenly appears on the table. Carl picks it up and it says "You cannot stop me." Carl angrily crumples the note and says "I can stop you! Whatever you are! You're nothing without that sword!" But as Carl tries to grab the sword from the wall, it vanishes, and he hears laughter. He grabs the book and runs out the way he came in. Outside in the woods, Carl climbs out of the trap door carrying the book. Gladstone sees that he has it, and says "You got it! What happened? Did you see anything? Did anything happen to you?" Carl says he saw the scimitar disappear, and tells Gladstone about the note. "He warned you but didn't possess you... he only possesses me...why? Why?" Carl says he doesn't know, but that they should investigate the book to see if they can figure out "who the evil spirit is." Gladstone asks Carl how he can be so helpful "after what happened to your sister...and your wife. How do you know that wasn't me as well?" Carl thinks a moment and says "After being in that cave, I know you're not to blame. And you were with me the night Jenny was killed. This spirit has probably possessed others before you, going back all the years in this book." Carl takes Gladstone away, and then we see the same glowing over the trap door begin to follow them.

Quentin is looking through Roderick's books and searching through some drawers. "If I know my uncle, he kept some sort of diary," Quentin thinks. "But where could it be?" He starts to look through an armoire when Edward enters and asks him what he's doing. Quentin answers that he's looking for Roderick's diaries and that "it's very important." Edward scoffs as to what "crazy old Roderick" could have been writing about that's so important, and Quentin says "You might want to listen a moment, dear Edward, because I think your son relates to it." Edward demands to know what he means, and complains that "I haven't seen my son in over a week since you conspired with his no good mother to take him away from here. You claimed that other will made him heir to the estate. Well, as his father, I have the right to..." Quentin cuts him off with "You have the right to shut up, Edward. With Trask around, I feared for the boy's safety, and I think what Valery has been through has proved me right. But now I'm worried about someone else..." Edward asks "Who? Who would dare harm my son?" Quentin tells Edward "I'd rather not say." Edward goes into a hissy fit over not being told when it's his only son, and then Quentin finds a diary inside the armoire. He smiles and starts to look through it. Edward says "Is the answer in there? Roderick knew who wanted to threaten my son?" Quentin tells Edward "I'll handle it," but Edward snatches the diary out of Quentin's hand and looks at some of it. Quentin demands it back, but Edward is suddenly horrified. "You must never know this! Never!" Edward starts to tear up the diary, but Quentin grabs it from him saying "Edward, have you gone mad? What's the matter?" Edward struggles, and then Quentin sees a page in the diary and says "Kitty! Kitty Soames! Roderick knew...." Edward backs away as Quentin adds "But how did you know?" Edward tells Quentin "Kitty must not be harmed! Never! Never!" and then runs from the room. Quentin goes out into the hallway shouting after Edward, and runs right into Petofi. Quentin tries to go after Edward, but Petofi stops him, saying "I couldn't help but overhear your conversation with Edward. He reminds me very much of someone else I once knew. Stubborn, yet innocent." Quentin tells Petofi he has to find out what made Edward so frightened, and Petofi says "I believe he is frightened of Miss Kitty Soames. And my dear Quentin, you should be too." Quentin wonders what he means.

Quentin has followed Petofi into his small room demanding to know "what you know about Kitty Soames. And how do you know it?" Petofi reminds Quentin of "the powers at my disposal that you observed. I met Miss Soames earlier and immediately understood the situation here." Quentin snaps "Why didn't you come to me immediately if the situation is as dire as Edward thinks?" Petofi says that he was tired, and "besides, I was personally in no danger. How much, after all, should I interfere in the happenings here?" Quentin tells Petofi that "If Kitty is a threat to my nephew, someone I happen to be quite fond of, I want to know what I can do about it. Now why is everyone so terrified of her? I thought I saw her die in Asia months ago, yet she turned up here alive. I know that must have something to do with this. She doesn't act like herself, why?" Petofi says "I can tell you everything you want to know, Quentin, but I must exact a favor from you in return." Quentin humphs and says that "Harrison told me you were like this." Petofi says how impressed he is with Harrison's "familiarity with me in such a short time. But that is not the issue at hand." Quentin asks Petofi what he wants. "You have control over the Collins property at present, am I correct?" Quentin answers "Not all of it." Petofi says "I understand there is a small cottage near the estate that is unoccupied. I have very little in this.....part of the world. If I were to be able to make my temporary home there instead of in these cramped quarters, I should be most grateful." Quentin is not sure what to make of this. "The old Young cottage? That hasn't been lived in for years." Petofi says "It will suit my purposes well." Quentin says "I don't see any problem with you living there. I doubt anyone else will care. Tell me what I want to know about Kitty and it's yours, Petofi." Petofi smiles and says "An easy bargain to make, eh? Come over here." Petofi leads Quentin to a painting on the wall of a young woman. "Look here at this painting, Quentin... I have quite an affinity for portraits....look at the young face of this anonymous woman....." Petofi says. "She's not anonymous, she's my great aunt Daphne," Quentin answers. "Just look at it, Quentin...." Petofi says. "Look at it and you will have your answer...." Quentin skeptically looks at the painting until the face becomes the face of Kitty. Quentin gasps at the change and says "Kitty! I see Kitty's face in the portrait!" Petofi says "Yes...and now you will see her as she truly is...." Quentin watches as Kitty's face morphs into a hideous scraggly old weatherbeaten hag face, the skin barely hanging on the rotting skull underneath.... Quentin yells "NO!" in horror as he looks away.