Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Episode 1448

Aired: Wednesday January 12, 1972

Kathryn Leigh Scott's voiceover: "With the destruction of the demon that took the form of Kitty Soames and the rescue of Valery Stokes, one would think these would be happy times at Collinwood. But there is still a sense of dread in the great estate. For here in the year 1897, in the strange world of parallel time, comes a stranger, a stranger with awesome and mysterious powers, a stranger who is notoriously evil...."

Benjamin and Harrison are in the drawing room. Benjamin tells Harrison how his "recent brush with my own mortality" has made him think about more than the wealth of the estate. "I used to think I'd want to be master of Collinwood," he adds. "But now I'm just happy to be alive and in control of my own destiny." Harrison remarks how he's felt the same way "about....er, my side of the family's fortunes." Benjamin tells Harrison he's glad he came to Collinwood "to meet this part of the family. Despite all the recent tragedies, I would hope you've found us, interesting, at least." Harrison smiles and says he's found them "fascinating." Benjamin observes "Although I know you have a favorite. I'm sorry about Valery. Has her condition changed at all?" Harrison says no, but that he's "confident that the effects of those drugs will pass, eventually." Benjamin asks him if there's any other way of curing her, and Harrison looks thoughtful when answering "There is, but I'm not sure of the risks just yet."

After the titles, Rachel and Jamison enter the house. Jamison wears a black arm band and tells his mother that "father got a sunny spot in the family cemetery. I suppose that's good." Rachel tells Jamison that it's okay to cry, and that she wonders why he hasn't yet. He says he doesn't know. "Maybe because I know father wouldn't want me to cry. He used to get angry at me when I did." Quentin comes downstairs and tells Rachel that Hess will be there "any minute, to make it all official." Jamison asks Quentin what's going to happen, and Quentin tells him that Mr. Hess is going to have him sign a lot of papers that will "officially make you master of the realm, at least once you're twenty one." Jamison says he doesn't care about being master of Collinwood, and Quentin says "that's the spirit! But you might change your mind someday." Jamison says that he never wants to see people fighting over the money anymore, and that he'll make sure that never happens again. Quentin tells him that's admirable, but in the meantime, "Benjamin and myself will continue to look after the family affairs. We'll be sure to teach you how the cannery and the shipyards operate. Benjamin told me he was going to take you down there this week." Jamison gets excited and says he's never been allowed there before. They head into the drawing room, and Benjamin tells Jamison that "you'll need to get more familiar with how things operate." Quentin asks Harrison if Valery has improved, and Harrison says no. Quentin is about to suggest something when there is a doorknock. It's Hess, who comes in, saying "Finally everyone who needs to be here is here." He tells Jamison that "all you need to do is sign these papers. Everything will be taken care of for you." Jamison looks at Quentin and Benjamin, who look back at Jamison, who thinks a moment and says "Tell me what each of these papers does before I sign anything. I want to know." Hess nods, and says "Suspicious, aren't we? You're a Collins, all right...." As Hess shuffles the papers, Jamison says "Is there anything in the will about my mother?" Rachel says that she wasn't mentioned, and has "no claim on the estate." Jamison says it's not that, he just wants to make sure that "my mother stays here now." He looks at her and says "You will, won't you? You won't go away again?" She thinks about this.

Carl returns to the old house where Charity is napping on the couch. He wakes her and asks her if she's caught up on her rest from the previous night. She stands up and huge him. She asks him if he found Gladstone. "Yeah," he says. "We haven't figured out a way to stop Bradford yet, but we will. I thought I might find some of old Roderick's books on the occult. There must be some way of destroying that spirit." Charity remarks on how "horrible" the spirit of Bradford is, "lusting after killing the way....oh, the way that poor man was killed last night. I think he deliberately stepped in front of Gladstone as well....as if he was trying to save us both. The way he moaned at me...." Carl thinks a moment and tells Charity to sit down. He tells her how she had been in the book he found in the cave, and how that had predicted her murder, but when he found the book at Gladstone's, she was no longer listed. Charity says "Does that mean I'm safe?" Carl says he thinks so, but that it did list who died last night. Charity wonders why Carl looks so nervous, and Carl says "The book said it was your brother, Gregory." Charity is shocked, and doesn't believe it. Carl tells her that Gregory Trask was the name in the book, and the date was also the same. "But that didn't look like Gregory! His face...was deformed!" she says. Carl hugs her and tells her that perhaps Bradford's spirit did that to Gregory somehow. "It was him, I know it," he says. Charity says "Then he saved me...he sacrificed himself for me....." Carl says "Maybe." Charity says "I know you didn't like him, and you suspected him and your sister....I know money may have done horrible things to him but....he still had some good in him..." Carl hugs her and says he knows. "Because he was related to you." They kiss.

Carl is looking through some books in Roderick's old room when Harrison passes by. He asks Carl what he's looking for, and Carl says "If I told you, you'd think I was crazy." Harrison says "Try me." Carl says he's looking for a way to destroy an evil spirit. Harrison muses "What is it about this place that attracts so many evil spirits?" Carl answers that "the legends say the family is cursed fifteen different ways, maybe that's it." Harrison says how "my own recent brush with the occult still has me jittery." Carl says "That sounded like some bad business with Kitty." Harrison says "Well, it really wasn't Kitty. And once that flame at the altar was destroyed, it wasn't much of anything." Carl thinks a moment and says "One of these books said that spirits are often linked to things that keep them alive....like that flame, or some object." Harrison answers "Or this family, as you first theorized." Carl says "No, no...maybe that's what I need to look for. Maybe there's something in this world that is keeping Bradford's spirit alive. And if its destroyed, maybe his spirit will die with it!" He takes the book he was reading and leaves. Harrison continues on to Valery's room. She is sitting in bed, drawing in the air with her finger. He asks her how she is doing, and she smiles at him without saying anything. "Can you recognize me or say my name?" She just giggles and then hides her head under the blanket. Harrison thinks aloud "If only I could get you to a doctor in my own world, in my own time...there must be answer here..." Quentin enters and says he was looking for Harrison. Valery suddenly takes her head out from under the blanket and sees Quentin. She stares at him and studies him. "There's still no improvement," Quentin says. "We may have to send her someplace else." Harrison says no, but Quentin snaps "What else can we do? She needs professional help! What else would you have us do, lock her up in the tower room and never speak of her again? That would be insane!" Harrison says there's got to be an answer, and Quentin says "And both of us know what it is. It's Petofi. He's the only one with the power to restore her mind." Harrison says that he doesn't know if he can pay Petofi's price. Quentin says "What kind of a price can be too much to save her?" Harrison says he's afraid to ask. Quentin says "How much haven't you told me about that room? And about you?" Harrison thinks it over.

Rachel looks over her old room and seems to be settling in when Quentin stops in. He tells her he'd understand if she decided to leave Collinwood, and she says she might stay after all. "I don't want Jamison to grow up without a mother," she says. "It's bad enough he won't have his father anymore." Quentin says that "while I mean no disrespect to my late brother, he wasn't exactly the world's greatest father." Rachel says she knows, and thanks Quentin for looking after her son. "Something I intend to keep on doing," he says. "Though Benjamin has surprised me. I didn't think he'd be so amenable to the idea." Rachel says that Benjamin's near-death experience has changed him. "He's no longer as timid...worried about what everyone else thinks, what looks proper....he's his own man, now." Quentin says he doesn't know whether that's good or bad. Then he adds "I'm not sure I can handle you in this house without Edward around to make me behave." Rachel tells Quentin she'll make him behave instead. He snickers at the prospect. Benjamin enters the room and asks if he's interrupting anything. Quentin says no, and Rachel says "You're precisely on time." Quentin asks "On time?" Rachel takes a wrap and says that Benjamin has offered to take her into town tonight. "You don't mind?" Benjamin asks Quentin. Quentin, surprised, says no. Benjamin takes Rachel's hand and tells Quentin "Good. Getting away from this house for a while should do wonders for me." He leads her outside as Quentin is amazed. Meanwhile, Harrison sits with Valery, who is asleep. He looks at her and we hear him think "I've got to save you. You're the reason I stayed here. You may even....be the reason I was sent here." He starts to leave the room and then he thinks "Quentin must know everything!"