Friday, January 15, 2010

Episode 1465

Aired: Friday February 4, 1972

Virginia Vestoff's voiceover: "Collinwood has always been a den of dark secrets, secrets the Collins family has taken great pains to protect from the eyes of the outside world. But on this night, the secrets of the past will be exposed to the light, and the ghosts they carry with them will return to haunt the living with all of the shadows of the past. Dr. Lori Slater, the daughter of the man who married the mistress of the great house, has been conducting experiments dealing with everlasting life. And she has turned her attentions towards Quentin Collins, suspecting that he is much more than he seems...

After a replay of Thursday's close and the titles, Quentin says "I don't know what you're talking about!" Lori says "Admit it, you and that Quentin are one in the same! You have to be! I only want to know how you did it! It's my entire research. If you found some way of conquering death, I must know how to preserve it for medical science!" Quentin tells her she's crazy, and she says "Those pictures of Quentin Collins in 1897 look exactly the same as you!" Quentin snaps "So what? Did you ever hear about family resemblance? If it were possible for you to travel back in time, you'd find that we Collinses tend to look the same generation after generation! We're very predictable that way!" Lori says that "There's more than just the resemblance. I've been looking into your background." Quentin gets angry. "You've been investigating me and snooping into my life?" Lori innocently answers "I'm only looking out for my little sister." Quentin scoffs at that as Lori continues. "You seem to turn up out of nowhere about three years ago. I found some other names you went by, Grant Douglas was one..." Quentin cuts her off. "I'm a writer, Dr. Slater! I've used pseudonyms!" Lori says "I've found some other names as well." Quentin cuts her off with "I've used several. Having a name attached to the Collins family made me seek more privacy. People tend to poke around my background otherwise." Lori smiles at him and says "I don't mean to do you any harm, and I don't mean to expose any secrets you have." Quentin insists he doesn't have any secrets. Lori says "You're actually quite valuable to me if I'm right about you. If someone did live that long, they'd have to use different names and assume different identities...move from place to place. Otherwise, their friends and anyone who knew them or grew attached to them would age and die as they got no older themselves..." Quentin turns away from her and says "You're spinning fantasy." Lori says "If I'm right about you, I can't let my sister get involved with you. She's far too fragile." Quentin turns to her and says "Your concern is quite touching. But your ideas about me are completely insane!" Lori humphs, and walks to her desk. She opens a drawer and takes out a file folder with some papers. "You might find these interesting. They're some research materials I've gathered over the years. I would look at anything anyone ever wrote about the idea of everlasting life. I knew the name Collins rang a bell when I heard it, so I dug these out of my files." Quentin picks them up and begins to look through them. "Photostats of someone's journal...I can't read the writing...." Lori says "I read it some years ago. It's part of the journal kept by an eccentric artist named Charles Delaware Tate." Quentin starts to look nervous.

Angelique and Sarah enter the old house. Sarah says she likes the village a lot and had a good time shopping with Angelique. She runs to Barnabas in the living room and says "Uncle Barnabas, we had such a good time! I'm going to like living here more than England!" Angelique gives Barnabas a knowing smile. Barnabas tells Sarah he's happy she likes it here, and tells her she'd better prepare her lessons for when Maggie comes over. She goes upstairs. Barnabas marvels at how "her mind has changed so quickly. All those other memories are gone." Angelique tells Barnabas that he should no longer worry about her. "As long as Vicky and David are careful around her, she should adjust well and be happy here," he says. He looks at Angelique and says "She has her life back," before she kisses him. Back at Lori's lab, Lori asks Quentin if he's ever heard the name Charles Delaware Tate before. Quentin says "I've only heard of his work." Lori says "In his journals, you can actually see how the man slowly lost his mind as he got older. He lost his fame and began to paint rather generic landscapes. His journals degenerate into ranting. But there were some very interesting things in those rants. Random passages about his talent coming from evil powers, and how he believed that he could create things simply by painting them." Quentin says "The man got old and senile. What's that got to do with me?" Lori says look at that page I gave you. Tate goes on an angry diatribe about making the man he despises immortal through his painting. In another section, he mentions the man by name. Quentin Collins. Of all those old portraits hanging in Collinwood, there's none of Quentin Collins. You'd think an original by an artist like Tate would be hanging prominently. You have that portrait, don't you? You need to have it to protect yourself!" Quentin says "Every artist thinks what he paints has become immortal." Lori tells Quentin "Stop lying already! Don't you see? Tell me I'm right about you! The two of us can make huge contributions to science, we can..." Quentin stops her. "The two of us? What's this we all of a sudden?" Lori turns away from him and says "I'm interested in your condition. If I can find the scientific principle behind Tate's accomplishment, I can use it to help others..." Quentin spins her around and says "And that's all you're interested in?" She tries to pull away, but then gets dreamy eyed and he kisses her.

Chris is still beating on the lock with the brick when the lock suddenly breaks. He drops the brick and begins to open the cage door, but then hears the footsteps again. Chris runs out of the cage and hides behind the iron door. Miller enters and opens the door, concealing Chris. He sees the cage broken open, and says "Jennings! No! You can't leave now!" Chris steps out from behind the door and shoves Miller out of the way. "Yes I can, Doctor!" Miller struggles with him and says "No! You must let me lock you in! It's nearly dark..." Chris yells "I can't let you keep me prisoner forever!" Miller struggles back, pleading "You don't understand...if you escape, you could be killed..." Chris stops struggling and seems to be thinking about this. "Or I could kill someone..." he starts to say, but then Miller tries to hit him over the head. Chris pushes him into a table full of equipment and yells "You can't be trusted for a second, Miller!" Suddenly, Chris cries out in pain and grabs his middle. "It's.....happening....." We cut to a shot of the moon rising. As Chris moans in pain, Miller staggers to the cage and sees the door is broken. "You won't kill me, Jennings, I'll see to that, at least..." Miller pushes the moaning Chris out the door and slams the iron door shut. Miller catches his breath as we start to hear growling noises outside. Outside, Chris has turned into the werewolf. He bangs on the iron door a while before running off. Miller, on the inside, picks up the tranquilizer gun and says "I'll get you back, Jennings. I'll get you back...."

Barnabas is looking out the window at the full moon when he hears a howling noise. "What could that be..." we hear him think. "I haven't heard that horrible sound in so long...what could it mean?" His thoughts are interrupted by Sarah entering the room. It's her room. She tells Barnabas that she's finished her lessons and is ready to go to sleep. He closes her window and tells her to make sure it stays closed tonight. "Is it cold out?" she asks. He says yes. Sarah says "Maggie is waiting for you in her room. She said she wanted to see you." Barnabas, confused, says "Her room? Do you mean her room up at Collinwood?" Sarah says "No, in her room here." Barnabas says Maggie doesn't have a room here, and Sarah says she's tired. Barnabas kisses her and tells her to go to sleep. He leaves, wondering what Sarah meant about Maggie having a room, but then looks concerned. He goes down the hallway and stops at a door, where we see light around the edges. "Oh no," Barnabas thinks. "Josette's room....could this be what Maggie thinks is hers?" He opens the door and enters, and while the room is candlelit, there is no one there. He looks around and calls "Maggie? Are you in here?" There is no answer, and he sighs relief and turns to leave. From behind him, he hears "Barnabas?" and when he turns, he sees Maggie standing before him, wearing Josette's wedding gown. Outside the house, Angelique is walking up to the front door when she hears the howling. She stops and thinks a moment. "That noise..." we hear her think. "That was no dog...I've never heard a sound like that before..." She looks up at the full moon and seems to wonder a moment before opening the front door. Up in Josette's room, Barnabas is upset. "You shouldn't be wearing that, Maggie!" he says. "And why not? Don't you want me to wear it, Barnabas? Don't you want me to be who I truly am?" Barnabas turns away from her and says "You are Maggie Evans! That's who you truly are!" He can see her in the mirror as she moves closer to him. "I was Maggie Evans, in this life. But now I know who I once was, who I shall always be. You know this to be true, Barnabas. You know I am Josette. I am your Josette." Barnabas can't look at her and says "No! It cannot be! Not now! Not ever!" She puts her hand on his shoulder and says "Remember the first time you saw me? How shy you were...afraid to talk to me. And then you somehow convinced my father to tutor me in English while your father talked business with him..." Barnabas is dumbfounded. "How did you know that?" She smiles at him. "Because I am Josette. If you thought I was only Maggie Evans under delusions, you were wrong. I am the living spirit of Josette...I have come back to you because I love you, Barnabas. You have always been the only true love for me. Nothing can separate us. Not time, not even death." Barnabas resists, though weakly, as she leans in to kiss him. "We can have it all back, Barnabas," she says. "Everything can be as it was meant to be....you will never lose me again..." He gives in with a hearty "Oh, Josette..." before giving her a passionate kiss. Meanwhile, Angelique has entered the house and innocently begins to climb the stairs....