Friday, January 29, 2010

Episode 1475

Aired: Friday February 17, 1972

After a replay of Thursday's close and the titles, Lori gasps at Quentin's portrait in the light of the full moon. Quentin holds her in place and says "Take a good look, doctor! Take a good look at what all your science can't explain away!" Lori loses her fear and says "The wolf...only aged...that's why it was painted! That's the strange reference Tate made to the portrait changing...." Lori pulls away from Quentin and looks through the dirty window. "The full moon. The portrait changes and not you. And when the moon sets...." Quentin throws the cloth over the picture and says "The portrait shows me as I really am. Or how I would be if the thing were never painted. Sometimes I wish it never was. You see, doctor, I was cursed a long time ago, cursed for some very stupid and reckless acts that destroyed people who were stupid enough to get close to me! Do you still want to risk it?" Lori walks to him and says "Yes." Quentin humphs and says "I don't know whether to be flattered or call you a fool." Lori answers "The portrait might have some effect on your appearance, but the curse is still in your blood, I'd stake my life on it!" Quentin tells her that's an interesting choice of words. "If I can isolate the element in your blood, I may be able to get rid of it. I don't know what kind of magic is at work with Tate's painting, but I do know I can purify your blood." Quentin thinks a moment and says "I'm not sure I'd want you to. What if messing around with my blood turns me into that thing on the canvas? Can you guarantee that?" Lori says no. "I'd... I'd thought the secret of immortality was in your blood. If it's in that portrait and the result of some strange powers that Tate had...I...I....don't know what to do." Quentin says "That's the smartest thing you've said tonight."

Angelique is in her room at the old house, wrapping her doll with Maggie's hair and Brian's handkerchief. She sits in front of the fire and says "Hear me, Maggie Evans. You are controlled by an unwelcome spirit....the spirit of someone who must return to the land of the dead....but while you are alive, you will feel uncontrollable attraction for the owner of this handkerchief...you, Maggie, will take control of your own body and spirit again, only to love the man whose handkerchief your essence touches....hear me, Brian Miller...you will respond when you touch the hair that matches the hair that touches your very essence here in my hands.....it is so!" We cut to Maggie in her room suddenly blinking and looking a bit woozy. She gets up and seems out of breath. She goes to the bay window and opens it, letting in a blast of cold air. "He's out there....I know he's out there..." she says. She grabs a shawl and hurriedly leaves the room. Maggie comes down the stairs and heads out the front door and begins to walk through the woods. "I am coming...I must...." we hear her think. Meanwhile at Rose Cottage, Brian is putting a book aside and turning out a light when there is a knock at the door. He wonders who it is, and opens the door to find Maggie. "Miss Evans, isn't it?" he says. She smiles and says "Yes. I felt like I had to see you tonight." He smiles and says "Then do come in." Back at the old house, Angelique hears some footsteps and hides the doll under the cushion she was sitting on. The door opens and it's Barnabas. "I've been thinking," he tells her. "About a lot of things. About my life and the decisions I've made, and about the past." Angelique stands and says nervously "And what have you decided now?" Barnabas tells her "I've decided I don't want to repeat my mistakes." He walks to her and kisses her, and she throws her arms around him, but in doing so, knocks the doll from under the cushion. She sees it, but he grabs it before she can say anything. He picks it up, horrified, and says "NO!"

Barnabas confronts Angelique with the doll. "What have you done? Tell me!" he commands. She gets defiant. "I haven't done anything to hurt anyone," she says. "How many times have I seen one of these dolls and the misery that follows?" Barnabas says. "I should destroy it..." Angelique stops him, yelling "No! Destroy it and you really will destroy Maggie Evans!" She takes it from Barnabas' hand and says "It's true, I did cast a spell. But only a spell to give Maggie Evans her life back! And to take the thought of Josette away from you!" Barnabas says "She was not in my thoughts!" Angelique snaps "Don't lie to me, Barnabas. I know you all too well." Barnabas takes the doll back and says "And do I know you that well? What kind of a spell was it? This isn't Maggie's handkerchief.... what have you done?" Angelique tries to be mysterious and answers "I gave her a new man to be interested in." Barnabas humphs. "Oh, Angelique, will you never learn? I come to vowing not to repeat my mistakes when you've already repeated one of yours" He walks to her. "A love spell," he says with a sneer. "I think back to Josette and Jeremiah. What happened to them? Did their love last, Angelique, did it?" Angelique turns away from him. "What about our love, Barnabas? Doesn't that concern you?" Barnabas angrily says "Who did you get this handkerchief from?" Angelique quips "Does that matter?" Barnabas snarls "I told you I felt responsible for what happened to Maggie. I don't want any more tragedies to feel responsible for. Now who's is it?" Angelique says "Brian Miller" defiantly. Barnabas wonders why. "Brian Miller? What on Earth made you choose him?" Angelique answers "What difference does it make? He's unmarried and seems to have a roving eye. The two of you might get along better than you think!" Barnabas says "I see no need for insults." Angelique says "It doesn't matter. Once she's distracted enough by him, her own personality should reassert itself and accomplish what is necessary. Getting rid of Josette!" Barnabas says "You still despise her memory that much?" Angelique says "It was no memory when I was out on that cliff, Barnabas." Angelique starts to break down as she describes the horrible vision she saw and how Maggie/Josette had tried to force her off the cliff. "You have no idea how horrible it was...." Barnabas meekly says "Actually, I do." He takes Angelique into his arms. "Why must we always fight? We both want the same thing, really. We both want to help Maggie." She kisses him.

Brian asks Maggie "So what do I owe the pleasure of your company, Miss Evans? Aren't you the governess for the Collinses?" Maggie says yes while examining some of the things around Brian's living room. "Then you work with David? He seems a bright boy," Brian says. "No, I work mostly with Sarah." Brian says "Sarah...that would be Barnabas' niece from England, wouldn't it? I think Carolyn mentioned her..." Maggie walks to Brian and says "Don't talk about Carolyn while I'm here, Brian. You don't want to make me jealous now, do you?" Brian is a little confused and says "Er, no I wouldn't want that." Maggie suddenly kisses him and he responds, but then pulls away and says "I'm not sure what to make of your....forwardness..." She laughs a little and kisses him again. His hand brushes over her hair, and then he pulls away, a little out of breath. He seems dizzy and says "What's happening...I feel different somehow...after I kissed you...." She remains fixated on him and moves towards him. He blinks a little and says "There's something at work here...and with you...." He reaches into his pocket and takes out a small packet. "I must....fight the urge I feel...." he says as he opens it and takes a pinch of something out before chewing it up. He gains a little composure afterwards and says "I was right...some sort of spell. But you will not be getting any of this very special herb, Maggie....I want some information." He kisses her hand and tells her to sit down. "Close your eyes, my dear. I have a surprise for you," he says. She does, and he takes out the small flashlight and shines it at her closed eyes. "When you open your eyes," he commands. "You will look at the light. You will concentrate upon it and put aside your feelings of passion." Maggie opens her eyes as Brian continues "You are fixated on the light because that is what I want you to do. Do you understand?" Maggie passively says "Yes." Brian sits next to her. "Good, good," he says. "I want to know exactly why you came over here tonight Miss Evans..." Maggie interrupts to say "That is my name, but is not my name. My name is Josette DuPres." Brian is confused. "Josette DuPres? Did you change your name for some reason?" Maggie says "Josette DuPres, beloved of Barnabas Collins." Brian raises an eyebrow. "Most interesting, my dear. Let's forget why you came over here for the moment." He shines the light into Maggie's eyes and smiles a sinister smile. "Let's start at the beginning," he says. "I want you to tell me everything you know about the Collins family." Maggie stares passively.