Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Episode 1487

Aired: Tuesday March 6, 1972

After a replay of Monday's close and the titles, Willie stops at the edge of the cliff as Barnabas nears him. Willie pleads for his life, and Barnabas snarls "What difference does it make if you live or die when you are so useless to me now? Look there!" Barnabas spins Willie around and holds him at the edge of the cliff. We see the surf pounding on the rocks below in the moonlight as Barnabas continues. "Look at those rocks, Willie...I can still see myself struggling down the side of this awful cliff to hold my Josette for the last time all those years ago, years forever gone with the crashing of those endless waves. After she ran from me and was impaled on those rocks below... I held her bloodless body in my arms while the laughter of Angelique echoed in my mind...." Willie says "Angelique? Who's that?" Barnabas yells "Perhaps you'll see her in hell, Willie....no one will care enough to come for your body once it's down there, mangled beyond all recognition....good bye!" And with Willie's final shrieking, Barnabas throws him off the cliff! He looks over the pounding surf with an evil smile, and then we hear him thinking. "So it always is with traitors. I will need a new protector...one more trustworthy. More intelligent....." and after a moment thinking, he forms a confident smile. "And one more loyal to the name of Collins...." We dissolve to Roger pouring himself a brandy in the drawing room when Liz walks in. Liz asks if there was any news on Maggie's killer, and Roger says "Knowing our inept police department, I strongly doubt her murderer will ever be found." Liz tells Roger not to talk that way, especially with Vicky and Carolyn in possible danger. "Oh, Liz! Maggie associated with a completely different sort of crowd than Carolyn or even Vicky. I wouldn't worry about either of them." Liz looks out the window and says "I don't know, Roger. I just have this overwhelming sensation of something out there...something evil...." Suddenly, we hear the dogs howling, and it startles Liz. Roger frowns and says "Animals roaming the woods...what next?" Liz says she will go upstairs and try to sleep, and Roger wishes her well. He walks to the window and opens it, listening to the dogs curiously. He closes the window and turns to refill his brandy glass and is startled to see Barnabas. "Barnabas! I didn't hear you come in! Would you care to join me in a drink?" Roger says as he walks to the brandy. "No, thank you," Barnabas answers. "I've come about something much more important." Roger asks what that could be, and Barnabas closes the drawing room doors before moving closer to Roger. "You'll understand much more in a moment, Roger....you'll understand more than you've ever understood before..." Barnabas bares his fangs and we hear a shocked Roger yell "What...what are you doing? No! NOOOOO!"

Roger sits passively on the sofa, adjusting his ascot. "You understand now, Roger?" Barnabas says. Roger nods. "You have no free will of your own. You will serve me and protect me," Barnabas adds. Roger says "Yes. I understand, now." Barnabas smiles and says "Good. You will do better than Loomis. You will understand family loyalty. After all, I am the oldest living Collins....this house....everything....was meant to be mine, long ago. That wrong will be corrected." Roger says "Yes, it will be corrected." Barnabas tells Roger to get some sleep, "since you will need all your energies to guard me tomorrow during the day." We fade back to Burke telling Vicky the story in the west wing. "Dr. Hoffman had told me what we were dealing with. After a little more time went on, we began to narrow down who we were dealing with. Roger, of all people, first made me suspicious...." We cut to Burke entering Collinwood as Roger comes down the stairs. "I knocked and knocked and no one answered, so I just walked in," Burke says. "I'm looking for Vicky." Roger doesn't say anything and walks towards the door. Burke asks again where Vicky is, and Roger says "How should I know? I must go now." Burke stops him and says "Roger, are you all right? I'd have least expected you to scream at me for walking in here the way I did." Roger, passively, says "It won't matter soon, Devlin. It won't matter soon." Roger leaves and Burke wonders what to make of it. David comes out of the kitchen door and says hello to Burke, who asks him where Vicky is. He says she's still finishing breakfast. "Thanks," Burke says as he heads into the kitchen. David walks into the drawing room when suddenly he hears a familiar "Hello." He turns to see Sarah's ghost, dressed in her 18th century clothes. "Sarah!" he gasps. "What are you doing here?" She makes a motion for him to be quiet, and says "I've got to tell you the secret!" David asks what secret, and Sarah says "You've got to see it for yourself, before it's too late!" David is skeptical and asks what will be too late, and Sarah says "It'll be too late for everyone! You've got to know the secret! Down in the basement!" David says "Down in the basement? What's down in the basement? Aunt Elizabeth doesn't like anyone going down there." Sarah says "No! Not here! In the other basement!" David thinks a minute and says "I don't know what you mean...." but then realizes. "The old house? The old house basement?" Sarah says "You've got to know the secret, but you have to be very careful! You have to go there now, before it gets dark! You can't know the secret once it gets dark!" David looks away for a minute before saying "Sarah, I don't know what you're talking about..." but when he turns back, she's gone. He calls for her, but then gets his coat and runs out of the house. We cut to David entering the old house carefully. He calls for Willie and Barnabas before heading towards the basement door. When he gets there, it's locked, but he takes a small screwdriver from his pocket and begins to pick the lock. Suddenly, he's grabbed from behind, and winds up facing an angry Roger.

"What do you think you're doing?" Roger snarls. David fibs that he lost something in the basement and wanted to get it back. Roger drags him away from the door saying "Don't you lie to me." David cries that his father is hurting him, and Roger says "You'll stop snooping around here or I'll hurt you worse!" David asks "What are you doing here anyway? Where are Willie and Barnabas?" Roger thinks a moment and says "Barnabas has gone to Bangor for the day and asked me to look after a few things here since he can't find Loomis any place. And I know that he'd be angry to find you snooping around here. We told you that you're no longer allowed to play here, but you just won't listen! And now, I'm going to have to punish you severely! " David yells "No!" and struggles to break free, and when he does, he pulls Roger's ascot off, revealing the fang marks. David is shocked, and says "What are those? What happened to you?" Roger quickly puts the ascot back on and tells David "Nothing... you saw nothing!" David says "Sarah was right! You're hiding something in the basement! She warned me that I've got to know what's down there!" Roger doesn't know what to do, and only says "How does your imaginary friend know....." David says "There is something down there! You just admitted it!" Roger lunges at David, but he darts out of the way. Right before he can get out the door, Roger grabs him. "You cannot leave now, my son.... you know too much already. I shall have to let the master attend to you...yes, the master will know what to do..." David is terrified as Roger begins to tie him to a chair. Meanwhile, back at Collinwood, Burke is telling Vicky about what Dr. Hoffman has theorized about Maggie Evans. Vicky doesn't believe it, and thinks that "This Dr. Hoffman must be half insane!" Burke says he's not so sure about that. "I've seen too many strange things in this town. I'm almost willing to believe that anything is possible. And someone or something drained nearly every drop of blood from Maggie Evans before strangling her." Vicky asks Burke not to talk about such things. "I know who I'd be looking for if I were a detective," Burke goes on. "I'd look for someone new in town, perhaps someone who had a mysterious past and exhibited strange behavior. I'd look at someone like Barnabas Collins!" Vicky accuses Burke of being jealous, and Burke says that "I've tried to look into Barnabas' background. I've had my men check up on him. They can find no trace of a Barnabas Collins living anywhere in England. None of his story checks out." Vicky says that there must be some sort of mistake. Burke replies that "Maggie's death was no mistake. Until I know for sure what we're dealing with, I want you to stay away from Barnabas Collins." Vicky is surprised.

Some times has passed at the old house. David has loosened his bonds as the clock strikes. "Nearly dusk...." Roger says. "And nearly zero hour for you, my son." The room begins to grow darker as Roger lights the candles. "Perhaps there will be mercy for you, perhaps not...." Roger says. David has nearly freed himself when we hear steps approaching us from beyond the basement door. "The master comes!" Roger says. As he steps away, David throws his ropes down and runs for the door. Roger turns to stop him, but this time David gets away. Roger yells at him to come back, when Barnabas appears. "What is it?" Barnabas says. "David!" Roger answers. "David seems to know somehow...he claims his imaginary friend told him! I tried keeping him here, I swear!" Barnabas looks over the ropes and says "You tried, but you failed. Nevertheless, I will be able to see to David. No doubt he's heading for Collinwood now...." Roger says "How could an imaginary friend named Sarah tell him anything?" Shocked, Barnabas says "Sarah? Imaginary friend? What are you on about?" Roger says "David claims to have an imaginary friend named Sarah, who only he can see. A young girl, in a bonnet of all things." Barnabas gasps, and says "Sarah....oh Sarah!" Roger asks "What is it? Who is this Sarah?" Barnabas angrily turns to Roger and says "Don't ever mention her name again! I will see to David." We cut to David running in the woods, when he suddenly finds Sarah. "Stop, David! You can't go back there now! It's too late!" She stands in his way as he tries to get by. "I've got to tell my Aunt Elizabeth! My father's gone crazy!" Sarah says "Don't blame him, David. He can't help it. None of them can!" David asks "Them? Who are you talking about?" Sarah says "He can make them do things, even if they don't want to! You can't blame them! That's why you can't go back to your house now! It's already too late!" David says "It can't be! I've got to tell my Aunt!" He runs by Sarah who yells at him to come back. At Collinwood, Liz and Carolyn are in the drawing room when they hear the front door open. Liz looks to see who it is, but it's not David - it's Barnabas. "Barnabas!" she says. "It's so good to see you. But if you're looking for Vicky, she's not here. You'll have to be satisfied with me and Carolyn." Barnabas smiles and answers "That should be quite satisfactory." He follows her back to the drawing room and closes the door behind him.

David runs into Collinwood and calls for Elizabeth. He opens the drawing room doors and finds her sitting with Carolyn. Both are looking quite passive. David runs to Liz and starts ranting and raving about everything that has happened to him, and she doesn't say anything. "Aunt Elizabeth!" he yells. "Can't you hear me? What's wrong with you?" David turns to Carolyn and yells "You've got to help me! You've got to help me!" She stares passively back, and when he grabs her hand to shake her, she falls over to the side, revealing fang marks on her neck. David screams, and then Liz turns to him, revealing fang marks on her neck, and asks calmly "Why David, what ever is the matter?" David backs away terrified.