Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Episode 1497

Aired: Tuesday March 20 1972

Alexandra Moltke's voiceover: "My name is Victoria Winters. Through strange circumstances, I have journeyed through time more than once in my life, but always it seems for the same reason - to find love and cherish it in whatever world I was in. But this time, on this night, I journey to a sad and darkened world of a lonely bitter man... a man who I loved in a different time...in order to heal his heart and bring us together again...."

After a replay of Monday's close Vicky puts the necklace on, and when she lifts her head up, the room is lit up once again and she stands before the portrait of her that was in Burke's world. She turns to see Burke standing there. "I knew...." he says. "I knew you'd come back, Vicky. I've been waiting here for you." She smiles at him.

After the titles, Burke takes Vicky into his arms and kisses her. "You're alive...so very much alive," he says. "When you vanished, I thought it was all some sort of strange dream..." Vicky tells him it was no dream, and that she had traveled back to "my own reality." Burke grows interested. "How did you return here? Don't tell me you're some sort of witch who wiggles her nose and can vanish whenever she wants." Vicky says "I'm not a witch.... trust me." Burke tells her that "Even so, I find you quite bewitching." Vicky tells him that she thinks she's able to move from her world to his by putting the necklace on "inside this room. When it fell from my neck, I had returned home." Burke says "How strange. This house is filled with strange things. I've heard noises I can't explain. Sometimes they even sound like voices. I thought I once heard a telephone ringing in the empty room down the hall. All I found was an old disconnected phone. Sometimes this place really gives me the creeps. I don't know why I ever wanted it so badly. But when you're here, it's filled with life again." Vicky smiles, and says "In my world, Collinwood is filled with life, Burke. The family still lives there, and is larger than you remember. Carolyn and Roger are alive, even Barnabas, he..." Burke's eyes open up wide and he grabs her arms. "Barnabas? Alive? Vicky, what do you...." Vicky tells Burke to calm down. "Burke, in my world, Barnabas is the sweetest, gentlest man. He lives in the old house....with his wife and....his niece." Burke thinks a moment. "His wife...and his niece? So, he's....." Vicky says "He's like everyone else, Burke, there's nothing for you to be afraid of in my world, you'll see when...." Burke says "When what?" Vicky answers "When I bring you there. With me." Burke raises an eyebrow.

Burke thinks a moment. "You want me to go back there with you? We can't both wear your necklace, Vicky. I don't know how you plan to..." Vicky says "The last time I was here, I was holding a handkerchief in my hand when I returned. I brought it with me, since I was holding it. I asked a professor in my world about it, and he seemed to think that if I was holding onto something....or someone when I traveled through the passage between worlds, then they would come with me." Burke sighs and sits down. "It's such a strange thing to consider....leaving the world you know for something so strange...." Vicky answers "It's not so strange as the story you told me." Burke answers "Maybe you're right. Maybe in your world, things are much more normal." Vicky doesn't argue as we dissolve to David arguing with Julia and Quentin. David repeats his theory on how Brian uses different herbs to become different animals, and Quentin says that he still doesn't understand how that can be used against Brian. "If we could get to his supply and destroy it, then we'd deprive him of that power," Julia says. "He must have it hidden somewhere in his lab," David says. "When I was working there, he had a lot of different things locked up where no one could get to them." Quentin snaps "You're not going back to that lab, David, it's too dangerous." David answers "Well, you can't go in there. If he sees you, he'll know you're up to something. He'll never suspect me, he thinks I'm just a kid." Quentin says "Don't underestimate the man, David, he's not stupid. Your innocent kid act can only go so far." David says he has to take the chance to protect Quentin and Barnabas, and Quentin says "You have it backwards, I should be protecting you! For God's sake, David, at one time I nearly killed you! I owe you your safety, can't you see that?" David answers "That was a different reality to you. You never did that to me because you never died. You don't owe me anything!" Quentin says "You're being very gallant and even brave, David, but I don't want you to do anything foolish." Julia tells David that Quentin is right, but that he's been a lot of help. "If you find anything else out, let us know," she says. David grumbles and leaves, and we hear him think "Why do I even have to ask their permission? I'll just go to Brian's stupid lab and see if my plan works." David leaves.

In her lab, Lori looks through a microscope at a slide as the sun begins to shine on it. She smiles and takes a deep breath as Chris comes out of another room. "I think that cell you have might actually hold me... though I don't know if I can go on living like this," he says. Lori answers "You may not have to." I tried some of my serum on your blood and left it out overnight. The serum seems to have prevented the changes from occurring." Chris grows interested. "Really? Nothing happened when the sample you took was exposed to the light of the moon?" Lori says "No. And the moon will be full in just two more nights. I suppose the real test will come then. Perhaps if the full moon has no effect on it, the serum could be ready to be injected into you. But I should warn you, Chris, while it might prevent your blood from being altered, we have no idea what other effects might happen." Chris says he's willing to take that chance. Lori says that she'll need some coffee after that long night, and Chris says "Why don't we head into town to the Inn and I'll buy you a cup." She smiles, but right as they are about to leave, they're suddenly facing Brian. "Good morning," he says. Chris tries to slug him, but Brian suddenly pulls out a gun. "Such violent impulses, Mr. Jennings. I can see you got up on the wrong side of the bed." Lori snarls "What do you want here? Get out!" Brian snickers. "I want the two of you. I've been watching you, and I must admit that your silly experiments are getting close to destroying my own plans." Lori and Chris look at each other. "The serum," Lori says. "It WILL work! And you know it!" Brian nods. "All too well, my dear. That's precisely why I must stop you. I need Mr. Jennings to undergo his peculiar transformation...at least one last time." Chris wonders why.

Brian leads Lori and Chris into his own lab at gunpoint, and forces them into the cell where he has already placed Quentin's portrait on an easel. He locks them in as they both demand to know what he's doing. Lori is shocked to see the portrait. "How...how did you get this?" she gasps. Brian snaps "Never mind that. Suffice to say that I need it for my plans." He tosses the keys on a desk before opening a drawer that looks like a fishing tackle box - all sorts of separate compartments with different herbs in each one. "And my plans include settling a score with a certain Mr. Barnabas Collins...." he says pinching one herb into his hand. We dissolve back to Vicky and Burke. Burke tells Vicky he's not sure about going with her to her world. Vicky says "Weren't you hoping I would do that and come here to stay with you?" Burke smiles, and says "I suppose." Vicky goes on "But my world is not a sad and lonely place like this one. In mine, all the people you miss here are still alive. And in my world, many of those people would be overjoyed to see you again." Burke looks at Vicky skeptically. "Roger Collins, I suppose?" Vicky laughs a little. "He's changed a little," she says, and then after Burke gives her a surprised look, she admits "Well, maybe not Roger. But Carolyn will. And Elizabeth. And David, Burke, he's grown so much..." Burke thinks a moment. "There isn't much for me here, but....." Vicky says "But what?" Burke answers "It's not that simple. I have business interests here... Vicky, if what you told me about my fate in your world is true, that I died in some airplane crash five years ago....I'll have nothing to my name in your world. I'll be a complete pauper." Vicky realizes she didn't think of that. "I.... I don't know if I can ask you to give up everything like that," Vicky says. Burke smiles at her. "There's actually an answer, Vicky. Give me a day. I'll be able to see to things before....." Vicky looks at him and he takes her into his arms. "Before I go to your world with you. For good." He kisses her.