Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Episode 1503

Aired: Wednesday March 28, 1972

In the foyer at Collinwood, the doors open and David enters. He looks around and then gives Quentin an all clear sign. Quentin enters carrying his covered portrait. He carries it upstairs as David stands near the drawing room doors to make sure they don't open. Once Quentin is upstairs, David steps away, and the doors open. Burke sees David and says "David! You're back!" Burke grabs David's shoulders and says "What happened? Where's Quentin?"

After the titles, David tells Burke that Quentin is "fine" and went upstairs for a minute. Burke asks David what happened, and David says "I'd rather tell you some other time, Burke." Burke is surprised, and says "I didn't know we were going to keep secrets from each other, David." David says "I'm sorry, I don't mean to. It's just that.... well.... there was someone who was trying to hurt friends of mine...." Burke says "This Brian Miller. I've heard a little about him." David says "Yeah. But he won't bother us anymore." Quentin comes downstairs as Harrison comes out of the kitchen with a piece of cake. Harrison smiles at Quentin and says "You're back. And with David, I assume?' Quentin smiles back. "You knew, didn't you? You knew everything that was going to happen, didn't you?" Harrison takes a bite of the cake and nods. "You told me all about it," he says with his mouth full. David and Burke come out of the drawing room and see Harrison and Quentin. Quentin says "Yes, David was an enormous help to all of us tonight." David looks at Harrison and says "Where'd you get that cake?" Harrison says "Mrs. Johnson made it this afternoon. There's plenty of it in the kitchen, no one has been around here all night." David excuses himself and runs into the kitchen. Burke laughs a little and says "Still a kid in some ways, I guess." Quentin nods and says "Becoming a man in others. That boy saved my life tonight, Burke. He also saved Chris Jennings and Lori Slater as well." Burke asks if they should call the police to go after Brian Miller, "if he was threatening your lives." Quentin says it won't be necessary. "Brian also made an enemy of Barnabas Collins, which means he'll be facing the wrath of someone much worse than the police." Burke, a little suspicious, asks "How dangerous is Barnabas Collins?" Quentin says "I'm not talking about Barnabas, I'm talking about his wife." Burke smiles at that and he and Quentin go into the drawing room with Harrison for drinks.

At Lori's lab, Lori looks over samples of Chris' blood as he paces, alternating between happiness and edginess. "Tell me, Doctor," he says. "Tell me I'm really cured! Tell me the next time that moon rises that the whole nightmare won't start over again." Lori says she's "nearly totally positive" that it won't since "your blood is now completely normal. All the chemical differences I noted when you were suffering have all totally vanished." Chris says "If only you could bottle unicorn blood, doctor, you'd have your miracle cure." Lori says "There's only one thing... I'll also need to test your sister in Boston." Chris says "Amy? Why?" Lori says that since the curse would cause any sons of Amy to also be "afflicted" she'd have to be tested, but since David had read that the unicorn blood would "end the curse" Lori says "I have a theory that Amy's blood should also be back to normal as well.... she should no longer be a carrier, as it were." Chris says "That means Quentin too.... he's no longer living under the curse." Lori says "Yes... the portrait will no longer change with the full moon, but it will still have its overriding effect on his mortality. If only that secret could be harnessed for science...." Chris raises an eyebrow and says "Trying to harness that secret is what drove Brian Miller to commit his evil acts. Maybe we should leave well enough alone." Lori wonders about that.

At Collinwood, Burke, Harrison and Quentin are in the drawing room drinking together when Roger comes in from outside. Quentin, a little tipsy, calls Roger in so that everyone can drink a toast to him. Roger wonders why "all the joviality" and Quentin says "Because of a wonderful thing you did, Roger. Having your son!" Roger snickers, and says "Oh dear, tell me. What's he done now?" Quentin says "He saved my life tonight, Roger! Something for which I'll be eternally grateful. And when I'm eternally grateful, I do so mean eternal...." Quentin staggers a bit, and Roger says "Oh, I do think you've had quite enough" as he leads him to the sofa. "Burke, what is he on about?" Burke tells Roger that Quentin said David had saved him and others from Brian Miller. Roger can't quite believe it, but Harrison says "He's not quite a boy anymore, really." Roger takes a drink and says "Yes, I know. It's hard for me to think of him in any other way, but I suppose I'll get used to it. Strange, really... I used to find so many of his childlike ways annoying at times, wishing he'd grow up. And now that it seems he is, I miss the child." Burke tells Roger that "everyone changes over time." Roger says "I suppose you're right. Perhaps we should drink to that." As they drink, Lori enters the house and finds the men in the drawing room. Roger says hello and tells her that Alan isn't around, but Lori says she hasn't come to see her father, but to see Quentin. Harrison leads Burke and Roger to the study as Lori closes the doors. Quentin looks at her and says "They'll talk.... knowing you and I are in here together." Lori says that she's come to say goodbye. Quentin says "What?" Lori tells Quentin "Not permanently, but for a while, at least. I want to go with Chris to Boston so I can run some tests on his sister." Quentin says "Oh, is that all? You don't have to make a big production out of..." Lori says "...and I might stay there. I'm not sure yet." Quentin raises an eyebrow and says "Oh?" Lori says "I... I don't know if I can stay with you, Quentin. I'll grow old through the years while you won't... it's just not what I had planned for my life." Quentin says "I...I don't know what to say. But I don't want to say goodbye." Lori says "I don't either," but runs from the room in tears.

In the study where David has finished telling Roger and Burke what happened that night. Roger tells David that he might have been killed, and David says "I had to do it. I knew Brian would underestimate me." Burke tells David "that was good thinking." David thanks Burke, and Burke tells him "After all, if I'm going to marry into this family, I'd better get used to treating you more like a man, right?" David says "You're going to marry Vicky?" Burke nods, and David hugs him. We dissolve to Quentin standing alone looking sullen when Harrison comes in. "She's gone, left," Quentin says. "But I suppose you knew that, since you know everything that's going to happen to me." Harrison tells Quentin he's sorry. "I know you're hurting now." Quentin manages a smile, and says "You must know everything I'm going to feel for years to come. I don't even need to live through any of it, all I need to do is ask you!" Harrison tells Quentin to "get control of himself." Quentin says that "there's no hope for me. I'll go on, living like this, unable to love anyone. Watching everyone I care about grow old and die while I stay here, year after year. Maybe I don't want to anymore!" Harrison tells Quentin "Don't talk like that. No one knows better than me that you will find a purpose to your strange existence, and you will find happiness, Quentin! I cannot tell you more than that, but you must trust me!" Quentin says "I knew you'd say that. See? I know the future too! Let's drink to it!"? Harrison sighs, and says "Quentin, Lori Slater left here to go to Boston, just as I knew she would. But you're forgetting someone." Quentin turns to him and says "Who?" Harrison says "I'm sure that by telling you, I won't be affecting anything. You're forgetting Joanna Slater. The one that reminds you of Beth Chavez." Quentin thinks a moment and says "Yes...she does. She went back to Boston as well." Suddenly, Quentin thinks a moment and says "How did you know she reminded me of...." Harrison smiles at Quentin. Quentin humphs, smiles and says "I'll take your word for it and just let things happen from now on. So now tell me... should I go back out there and try to help Barnabas?" Harrison thinks a moment.