Friday, March 19, 2010

Episode 1510

Aired: Friday April 6, 1972

Alexandra Moltke's voiceover: "My name is Victoria Winters. While my own life has been filled with strange adventures and journeys through time itself, it seems that my wandering and search for love have ended, leading to a new beginning and a new life for myself. But for another, a much stranger journey continues, as a man who even after the timespan of many lifetimes learns to finally understand his own heart is about to face his destiny, a destiny that will affect the Collins family for generations to come...."

After a replay of Thursday's close and the titles, Barnabas says "You think I will cause a room to appear where my true wishes will be reality?" Harrison says yes. Barnabas grows fascinated. "I'll know... then I'll finally know what I should have done." Harrison says "Should have done? When?" Barnabas answers "A long time ago.... I made a fateful decision without even realizing it." Harrison says "That's usually the way." Barnabas replies "Yes, but now... if you're right, I can actually see what should be.... you really think that will somehow cause the doorways in time to close, if I enter that world?" Harrison answers "It's not quite like that, you'll understand better when we get to the west wing." Barnabas nods. "Yes. Let's go." They start to walk there as Barnabas again thinks back to kissing Angelique's hand at her servant's quarters in Martinique. "I'm sorry...I just need time," he says to her before we dissolve back to the present and Barnabas thinks. "How much time? Would that time really stretch across the centuries?" Again we dissolve into Barnabas' memory, where now he's in Josette's room after reading her note. "And how do you feel?" she asks him. "Like a man in love," he says before kissing her. We dissolve back to the present and hear Barnabas thinking "I loved her so deeply... but I also loved Angelique.... what awaits me in that room?" We cut to the foyer of Collinwood as Harrison and Barnabas enter. They go upstairs without noticing that Julia was in the drawing room. She comes out to see, but only catches a glimpse of the two men as they disappear through the upstairs door. In the west wing, Barnabas and Harrison come to a hallway filled with doors. "And now what must we do?" Barnabas asks. "We wait," Harrison says. "We wait for a light to appear in room that you see first." Barnabas says "My feelings are so confused... I don't know what it will be. It could be Martinique in 1795... it could be Collinwood in 1840 with Valery .... it could even be Collinwood in 1897 with Kitty.... or now, with Angelique.....so many different possibilities...." He looks at Harrison, who waits with a determined look. "Somehow... I think you know what I'll see, don't you?" Harrison nods. "Tell me!" Harrison says "I can't, you've got to feel it for yourself, or it won't work!" Barnabas shouts "But I must know! I must!" Suddenly, he sees a light come on under one of the doors. He looks past Harrison and says "There! That room! It's lit up!" He walks to the door and begins to turn the knob. "Behind this door is the world in which I truly wish to be..." He opens the door, and gasps at what he sees.

Barnabas looks inside the room. The furniture is modern, and inside, Barnabas sits reading with music playing. He's dressed in 1972 clothes. The door at the far end of the room opens - and Julia walks in! She brings him a cup of wine and asks him what he's reading. "Poe, again," Barnabas says. Julia puts her arms around him. "And Tchaikovsky again too...you're a hopeless romantic." Barnabas stands and says "There is always hope, my dear," and the two of them kiss. Outside, Barnabas is agape. "Julia.... Julia! In that world, Julia and I are...." Harrison says "Yes. You are Julia are together." Barnabas watches in fascination as the other Barnabas and Julia continue to kiss and flirt. "I don't understand...." he says. Harrison says "Deep inside you do. You must. Or else that room would not appear the way it does." Barnabas looks at Harrison and says "You're right.... somehow, I did always know. Just the same as I've done before, so many times, denying it to myself.... but all along... Julia. Julia!" From behind them, Julia says "Yes? Barnabas? Are you calling me?" Barnabas turns to see Julia. "Julia!" he says with a smile. She asks what's going on, and then sees the lit-up room. "Barnabas!" she says. "That's us in there!" She watches a moment, and then gets visibly embarrassed at what she sees (Relax, they're only just kissing). She turns away "Another....another strange parallel world..." she mutters. Barnabas turns her around. "Julia," he says. "Perhaps it's not so strange after all." Suddenly, Julia sees another light come on in a room directly across the hall from the other. "A light!" she says. Harrison says "Another room. This one was opened by Julia's subconscious." Julia opens the door - and she and Barnabas both gasp at seeing the exact same thing as in Barnabas' room! They look at both one after the other, and see that the exact same thing is going on in each room - other Barnabases and Julias as romantic couples in 1972. Harrison says "Your subconscious desires cannot lie... you both want the exact same thing." Barnabas and Julia look at each other.

Barnabas says "I don't understand... we both opened doors to the same world..." Harrison says "That's not all. If I'm right, those worlds will also help to close the doorways. I've taken care of the source of the problem in Quentin's old laboratory. All that needs to be done is to seal the loose ends up here." Julia says "How? If we enter those worlds, we'll be alongside our own counterparts." Harrison says "No, you won't be entering those worlds. But think about it.... your subconscious mind produced windows to that possibility....but you can consciously create that possibility here, which will merge the worlds and seal the doorways. You were saying it yourself, Barnabas... our decisions are what decide our fate. This time, your decision can decide the balance of time itself. And if that balance is restored here, I should simultaneously return to my own time." Barnabas looks at Julia and says "He's right... somehow, in my heart, I've know it all along and denied it... all the times I was so cruel and cold, yet you stuck by me. You've saved me so many times. I know from the world that Vicky visited in one of these rooms that if not for you.... I'd've been destroyed and destroyed more of those I loved." He takes Julia's hand, and she whimpers "Oh, Barnabas...." Barnabas says (because it's the last episode) "You... you're the one I love, Julia." He kisses her, and as they kiss, the lights from both rooms grow brighter and begin to envelop the hallway. Julia and Barnabas look up for a moment to see Harrison waving. "You've done it..." he says. "Farewell!" As they continue to embrace, the light grows brighter and brighter until suddenly..... they find themselves standing, embraced, in the hallway. Harrison is gone and the rooms are all dark and back to normal. "He's gone!" Julia says. "And the rooms... they're all dark again!" Barnabas says "We did it... we merged our desired reality into our own... Maggie! When Maggie touched me... she healed my heart so that I could finally see the truth." Julia takes Barnabas hands and says "Harrison knew... because he knew his own past." They kiss again.

Julia and Barnabas come downstairs, Julia wondering aloud "I wonder if we've caused other changes..." Barnabas says "I doubt it. What else would our subconscious want to alter about any of the people we know here?" Julia says "Perhaps you're right." Liz comes out of the drawing room and says "Oh, there you are, you two. Inseparable as always... we must all hurry to get Carolyn to the train station, and I want no excuses for not seeing her off!" Roger comes out of the study with Alan and says they'd better hurry since Alan also needs to drive to Boston later. Carolyn comes downstairs carrying some bags, and there is knock at the door. Stokes enters, asking her if she has everything. "I've packed everything I think I'll need," she says. "And everything she won't need," Roger says. Stokes adds "You know, it is possible to shop in Europe," when he sees the size of her trunk. Carolyn says "If you two are through, at least be gentlemen and carry this to the car." Roger salutes and says "Oh, of course, my future professor." He and Stokes pick up either end of the trunk and carry it outside. Burke and Vicky come downstairs and say not to go without them. "Barnabas, Julia!" Burke says. "How about you two ride with us, sort of a double date?" Julia says "That'd be nice, thank you." Vicky says "Don't forget Sarah! She's waiting for you at the old house. David and her got back from town a little earlier." David and Quentin come downstairs as Quentin says "Okay, okay, I'm coming. I promised I wouldn't miss this." Carolyn looks at Quentin with her arms crossed. "Well, something has to get you out of the west wing and breathe some life into you. I'm glad this could do it." Alan takes Liz aside and says softly "Don't tell Quentin, but my daughter Joanna is waiting for him at the train station as a surprise. She has tickets to a Broadway show in New York and wants to invite him on a train ride there." Liz smiles and says "I hope surprises like that run in your family." Barnabas says "Please excuse me, I must get to the old house to get Sarah. I'll meet you all at the end of the driveway, if that's okay." Burke says "Sounds fine to me. Just hold your thumb out and you can hitch a ride." Barnabas doesn't understand the slang, but only says "Of course," and exits, leading Julia by the hand. Alan and David help Carolyn outside with the last of her bags. Burke and Vicky also leave the house, leaving Liz and Quentin standing in the foyer as Liz starts to turn the lights out. "Funny how empty this house may seem with Carolyn gone," Liz says. "It's time she got out and saw more of the world," Quentin answers. "I agree," Liz says. "She's looking at a very exciting future." Quentin nods. "I'd like to think all of us have exciting futures." Liz says "You never know. The Collins family has certainly had an interesting past. I suppose that means we ought to also have an interesting future." Quentin leads Liz out the door as we pan to the old portrait of Barnabas - which fades into a shot of the new portrait of Barnabas at the old house. We pull back to see Sarah sitting on the floor playing with her doll as Barnabas and Julia walk in. "Sarah!" Barnabas says. "It's time to go to the station and see your cousin Carolyn off." Sarah says "Now?" Barnabas answers "Yes, now. Come on, come on, you'll have to hurry." There is a car horn heard outside. Julia says she'll go "tell them it'll be just a minute." Liz suddenly appears at the door and says "I knew we'd have to come after you both again! Let's go, Barnabas! Burke is waiting for you! You won't get a second chance!" Liz leaves and Sarah looks at Barnabas. "Why won't we get a second chance?" she asks innocently. Barnabas looks at Julia a long moment and the two smile at each other. He takes Sarah by the hand and looks at her lovingly. "Because we've already been given our second chance," he says. He leads her out and joins Julia by the hand before closing the door. We pan back to the burning candles on the candlestick....and an invisible draft blows them out as we fade to black.