Monday, March 16, 2009

Episode 1246

Aired: Monday April 5, 1971

Ben Stokes/Thayer David narrates:

Collinwood, in the strange world of parallel time, 1841. Having vanquished the evil spirit of Brutus, the family was shocked to find that Melanie had suffered an attack by a strange animal, which some thought to be the marks of a vampire.

As we see the Old House, the narration continues, from the ending of episode 1245:

"There was no vampire loose on the great estate. For the first time at Collinwood, the marks on the neck were indeed those of an animal. Melanie soon recovered and went to live in Boston with her beloved Kendrick. There they prospered and had three children. Bramwell and Catherine were soon married, and at Flora's insistence, stayed on at Collinwood, where Bramwell assumed control of the Collins business interests. Their love became a living legend. And for as long as they lived, the Dark Shadows at Collinwood were but a memory of the distant past."

We are in the Old House living room. Professor T. Eliot Stokes has finished reading from a book as Barnabas sits and listens.

Stokes continues. "A remarkable book, Barnabas. The history of a parallel time Collins family, written by William Loomis. I felt as if I was transported to another world when I read it" Barnabas answers "And here we are, back again in our own Collinwood of 1971, Professor."

After the opening titles, Barnabas tells Stokes he was glad he remembered he had brought the Loomis books on the history of the Collins family back with him from parallel time, since after observing Bramwell and Catherine in the East Wing room in 1840, he became fascinated with them. Stokes asks Barnabas if the lineage in parallel time matches, and if Barnabas' namesake ancestor had also had a son, Bramwell. Barnabas fumbles with words a bit and says yes, only his life in England was rather dull compared to what Stokes had just read about. Stokes seems to believe it, but Barnabas doesn't seem to be sure.

Julia enters the room, and makes a remark about the mysteries of time to divert Stokes.

"It is truly amazing what can be produced by altering the currents of time," Stokes continues. "Our journey to 1840 not only saved the present day Collins family, but produced a New York branch of the family as well." Barnabas agrees, noting that Quentin & Daphne had more children to join Tad after moving to New York and living in property once owned by Quentin's Aunt Millicent. Barnabas & Julia had learned of them, somewhat, by attending Roger's speech to the historical society upon their return from 1840. Roger and Liz are planning a family reunion of sorts.

Stokes departs, after inviting Julia to lunch at the university. Barnabas opens the secret room behind the bookcase, and we see Roxanne's coffin is still there, chained. "Some things remain unchanged." he says sadly. "It makes no sense, Julia - she was destroyed back in 1840." Julia thinks a moment and answers "It actually does make sense, Barnabas. One of the changes we made in 1840 made that Roxanne Drew a vampire. Originally, it could not have happened since you were chained in the mausoleum." "How do you explain this, then?" asks Barnabas as he closes the secret room. "Perhaps it was just her fate to become what she is," says Julia. "Fate!" answers Barnabas. "I refuse to believe in fate after all I've seen. I must feel in control of my destiny." Barnabas is studying Sam Evans' portrait of him over the fireplace, deep in thought. "Stokes is right," says Barnabas. "Altering the currents of time produce amazing results. In that other time, Josette and I produced a son. Fiery, passionate, determined... I admired him, I even felt a father's pride when I saw him fight for the woman he loved. Something I can never have..."

"It's not too late, Barnabas. Now that you are human again." says Julia. Barnabas has moved to stand by the window in a sunbeam. Barnabas looks off into the distance. "Josette, Vicky, Roxanne, and now Angelique... all gone, forever," he mopes. Julia moves to him. "You have been reborn, in a way. You can start fresh," she says as she takes his hand. "You are human again, you can live and love as any other man."

Barnabas nervously pulls away from her. "I.. need to be alone. I think I'll take a walk. I have a lot of sunny walks to catch up on." As he gets his cape and cane, he seems to notice Julia is a bit hurt. "Will you be okay alone?" he asks her, and she, facing away from him meekly answers "I'll be okay... I'll go up to Collinwood." He leaves.

At Collinwood, Quentin is (surprise!) having a drink in the study when David walks in carrying a large book. Quentin asks him about it. He tells Quentin it's one of Carolyn's, who has been borrowing every book on the occult she can find in the Collinsport library. Curious, Quentin takes the book and starts to peruse it, nodding in familiarity. David, excited, tells Quentin how Carolyn is studying about the occult at the college, about souls, ghosts, possession, and other "neat stuff." "With Stokes?" asks Quentin. "No, some other guy. She's taking it with that astrologer Sebastian. I think she likes him." answers David. Quentin chuckles and tells David that sometimes such things are more fun and a lot safer to read about than to actually deal with. He leads David towards a partially played chess game and asks him if he wants more practice, since it will help him to learn how to think. "How smart do you have to be to outsmart ghosts and witches? Don't they have special powers?" David asks. Quentin takes another drink before answering "It's like chess, David. You have to think many moves ahead."

Barnabas' walk has taken him to the outside of Eagle Hill cemetery. He stops a moment, and we hear him thinking as he looks it over. "Almost everyone I have known is buried in here, almost everyone I have loved. What have I got to show for it except my own existence? How can I live a normal life as Julia insists with the burden of my memories? Yet, something draws me here..." He walks in.

Back at Collinwood, Julia has arrived as David and Quentin are playing the chess game. They greet each other, and Julia sees the book on the occult. She asks David if it is his, and he tells her it belongs to Carolyn, since his father would most likely disapprove. Quentin assures him he'll keep David's secret from Roger if David can beat him. Happy, David checkmates Quentin, grabs the book, and runs upstairs. "Remind me not to teach him poker," says Quentin. Julia asks Quentin if he knows why Carolyn is suddenly interested in the occult, and all Quentin can answer is that she's really more interested in Sebastian Shaw, or else he figures it must run in the family.

Barnabas is walking through Eagle Hill. He passes Josette's, then Jeremiah's headstones and pauses. "Everyone I once loved..." he says as he moves on. He stops outside the mausoleum and we hear him think "I cannot go in... I must break from the past. I must stop doing this to myself, I must!" He turns and moves quickly, but then stops cold in his tracks at the headstone which reads "Here lies Valery Collins, Born ? Died 1840." Barnabas drops to one knee, drops his cane, and brushes aside some branches covering the stone. "Angelique... you gave me back my life and I wanted to give you my heart in return, but it was not to be... I wish I had brought you something today, some flowers perhaps, to brighten this place of sorrows. Perhaps tomorrow, my love. I will find the strength to face this place again, I promise you."

Barnabas gets up and walks away, until he realizes he forgot his cane. As he turns to take it off the ground, he sees there is a fresh bouquet of red roses on Valery/Angelique's grave.