Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Episode 1247

Aired: Tuesday April 6, 1971

Barnabas is walking through Eagle Hill. He passes Josette's, then Jeremiah's headstones and pauses. "Everyone I once loved..." he says as he moves on. He stops outside the mausoleum and we hear him think "I cannot go in... I must break from the past. I must stop doing this to myself, I must!" He turns and moves quickly, but then stops cold in his tracks at the headstone which reads "Here lies Valery Collins, Born ? Died 1840." Barnabas drops to one knee, drops his cane, and brushes aside some branches covering the stone. "Angelique... you gave me back my life and I wanted to give you my heart in return, but it was not to be... I wish I had brought you something today, some flowers perhaps, to brighten this place of sorrows. Perhaps tomorrow, my love. I will find the strength to face this place again, I promise you."

Barnabas gets up and walks away, until he realizes he forgot his cane. As he turns to take it off the ground, he sees there is a fresh bouquet of red roses on Valery/Angelique's grave.

After the titles, Barnabas returns to the old house, carrying a single red rose. Julia sees him carrying it and smiles, "Barnabas, you shouldn't have..." He looks confused a moment, then tells Julia the flower was a gift to him. Julia notices he is in a much better mood than when he left earlier, then gets the courage to ask him who gave him the rose. "I visited Angelique's grave," he says to Julia's concern. "I looked away for a moment, and then back again, and there they were, a bouquet of beautiful red roses." "Who left them?" asks Julia. "I think she did," answers Barnabas, "for me." Julia is apprehensive.

At the Blue Whale, the dinner crowd is gathering. Carolyn enters with Sebastian Shaw. She is carrying some books and a notebook. They sit at a table, and she comments on how interesting her class on occult science has been and thanks Sebastian for telling her about it. Sebastian talks about how studying astrology led him into interest into other phenomena. Carolyn asks Sebastian if he believes that someone's horoscope determines their life, or if they have choice. Sebastian says he's not sure, but before he can go on, Professor Stokes enters, along with another man.

Carolyn sees them, and Stokes goes to Carolyn's table to say hello. He starts to introduce his companion, Professor Phillip Anderson (James Storm), but Carolyn comments that she and Sebastian had just come from Anderson's class. Stokes asks Carolyn if her interest in the occult has to do with her family. Anderson comments about the rich family history of the Collinses, and Carolyn says that it seems everyone is always interested in the family history. She invites Stokes and Anderson to join her and Sebastian.

Back at the old house, Barnabas is still smitten with the rose, but Julia is nervous. She asks Barnabas if he can be sure that it's a good thing if Angelique has returned "in some way." Barnabas answers that "Angelique died as a woman, not a witch, and a woman in love." He sees no danger, and muses on the possibility of Angelique returning to him somehow, in all her beauty. "Besides," he adds "It wasn't a black rose for mourning. It was a red rose, symbolizing love." Julia comments that while roses are beautiful and delicate, they also have thorns.

Back at the Blue Whale, the group is finishing dinner. Carolyn tells Anderson how amazed she is at his knowledge of the occult. Stokes comments how happy he is to finally have another person at the college assume some of his workload in the area after Anderson arrived only a few months ago. Anderson asks if Carolyn will be writing about her family for the class, and she says they are too mundane to write about. "That's certainly contrary to the legends," says Anderson, and Carolyn answers "Well, perhaps you would like to meet us all and judge for yourself? Would you like to come to Collinwood tomorrow for dinner?" Anderson smiles, then takes her hand and kisses it. "I graciously accept your invitation, my dear" Sebastian looks on this with a frown.