Friday, April 17, 2009

Episode 1270

Aired: Friday May 7, 1971

After a replay of Thursday's closing conversation and the titles, Quentin and Barnabas begin to discuss why this may be happening. "What could it be that makes Anderson seek revenge on the family? We don't even know who he is!" says Quentin. Barnabas remarks that they have no idea of knowing how old Anderson is, or how far in the past his grudge lies. Quentin laughs and thinks about all the unknown enemies a family like the Collinses may have, and how he had always heard the family was cursed while growing up. Barnabas says "I refuse to believe in fate as the cause for things. I've learned my own actions have a far greater effect good or bad than any unseen forces. I have always agreed with the Shakespeare, 'the fault lies not in our stars, but in ourselves.'" Quentin smiles and answers "But my star shines brightest of all." and laughs a little. Barnabas is confused at this remark, and Quentin answers "The prep school headmaster quoted that Shakespeare line to me once, while disciplining me for drinking in the dormitory. I answered him the way I answered you, and it led to my expulsion. I'll never forget that. My father was furious with me." David steps off the stairway, hearing the end of the conversation and says "What about my father? We have to save him."

Quentin assures David that they will save Roger, Liz & Carolyn, just as they have helped Daphne. David isn't so sure, but Julia comes downstairs and tells him that if Daphne can be broken from Anderson, then his father can as well. She leads him back upstairs as Barnabas tells Quentin they had best hide his portrait in the basement, since David can't know all of the secret vaults and trick walls down there. They take the covered portrait from the secret room and head down the basement with it.

Quentin and Barnabas are in Adam's old cell. Quentin looks around and is skeptical of the room, but Barnabas pushes open the wall segment where some jewelry is hidden, and tells Quentin that the painting should fit in there nicely. Barnabas starts to sift through Josette's jewelry when he finds a diamond ring. "How did this get in there..." he wonders aloud. Quentin looks at the ring and says "It looks like it belongs with the rest of it," but Barnabas answers. "No. This is the ring my mother gave to Angelique..." At that moment, there is a glowing light in the corner of the room. Angelique appears to them.

David is looking out the window when he shouts for Julia. Julia comes to him, and David tells him that the lights just came on at Collinwood, and that someone must be back there. Down in Adam's cell, Barnabas is asking Angelique to help them "Please, tell us more if you know more," he pleads. She points to the covered portrait, which Quentin picks up and looks at. It starts to blur as he turns, taking our view of it away. Angelique seems to be straining as she changes the portrait, but Quentin is growing more horrified as he looks at it. Barnabas asks "What is it? as he moves to see. Quentin hands it to him and says "Take a look," before heading upstairs. Barnabas looks at the portrait and is agape with shock as Angelique looks on.

Quentin is putting on his coat as Julia asks where he is going. "I'm going to Collinwood. Anderson is there." Julia tells him it's too dangerous, and David asks him if he will save his father. Quentin looks at them and says "It's me he wants. I know that now. I have to face him. Barnabas will explain." He leaves as Julia heads downstairs to find Barnabas. Julia calls to Barnabas and finds him in Adam's cell. When she walks in, she is shocked to see Angelique's ghost. Barnabas calms her and says "It's all right, she is here to help." Julia says that Quentin has left for Collinwood to face Anderson, and asks why. Barnabas tells her to look at the portrait. Meanwhile, Quentin angrily enters Collinwood, slamming the door. He walks through the foyer to the drawing room, where Anderson stands by the fireplace sipping a brandy. "So, Anderson, if that's what you want to be called now, you want my portrait, do you?" Quentin says. Anderson glibly answers "I want much more than that, my boy. But you will find that out in due time. Look at you, Quentin Collins, you are a remarkable piece of work. My work, really. You look exactly the same as I remember you." Quentin sneers. "You might look different after all these years, but deep down inside you have the same foul and rotten soul, don't you.... Count Petofi." Anderson laughs as we dissolve from his laughing face to the portrait, which has become the Thayer David Petofi before dissolving back into the aging Quentin. As Angelique vanishes and Barnabas and Julia watch the portrait change, we dissolve back to the laughing Anderson.