Friday, May 8, 2009

Episode 1285

Aired: Friday May 28, 1971

After a repeat of Thursday's close and the titles, Barnabas and Julia agree to accompany Selby, though when Julia asks him how he intends to find Anderson, Selby answers "Perhaps if we follow the sounds of those howling dogs, we shall find our quarry." Barnabas looks a bit uneasy, but the three start to leave when David arrives at the old house. Barnabas asks him what he's doing there, and David says he was looking for Daphne and thought she might be at the old house. "Besides," David says "No one at Collinwood seems to remember anything, and whenever I try to tell them what's happened, they look at me like I'm crazy. It's like being a little kid all over again." Barnabas looks away from David at that remark, and Julia says that it's unsafe for him to be outside when they don't know where Anderson is, and Julia takes David into the old house to watch him while Selby and Barnabas leave.

In the woods, Selby and Barnabas are trying to follow the sounds of the dogs, while Barnabas thinks to himself "I must find a way of getting away from Petofi and finding Quentin before Petofi can destroy him with that gun. I must get to Quentin first!" After some confusion over which direction the dogs were coming from, Barnabas suggests that they split up, and move in the same general direction towards the village and the waterfront. Selby agrees, and the two men part. Barnabas moves quickly towards the village, thinking to himself "To the docks... just as I did so many times. It must be where he went. " Meanwhile, Selby walks through a different part of the woods, when suddenly he comes upon Roxanne.

Roxanne looks at Selby and says "I do hope you haven't forgotten about me." Selby tells her to keep her voice down, and continues "I would never forget you, my dear. After all, you were once my beloved, in a way." Roxanne snaps "You have no right to call me that! We had a bargain. You made me a promise in exchange for my help in your petty revenge. I want what I am owed." Selby laughs "My revenge is hardly petty, my dear. Stealing a man's identity and everything that was his shall be my masterpiece." Roxanne sadly asks him "Did you enjoy the day? Did the sun warm your skin until you felt a cool breeze?" Selby answers "Ah, my dear. Do not be sad. You will enjoy the day soon. I will make good on our bargain. I have acquired a rather beautiful body for you to return to a mortal life in. But you will have to be patient, my dear. I will only make good on our contract when, thanks to your help, Quentin Collins is destroyed!" Roxanne smiles.

Barnabas is searching the docks when Selby arrives. "You haven't had any luck either?" Selby says. "No," answers Barnabas. "But some people at the Blue Whale claim to have heard some screams. I was not happy to hear that." Selby sneers "Those screams could be illusions brought about by alcohol. We should head back to Collinwood." At the old house, David tells Julia that "something about Quentin seemed different. He didn't talk to me or ask me about the people at Collinwood like he usually does. He's usually the only one who believes me!" Julia tells David that Quentin has a lot on his mind. David yawns, and Julia says that it's pretty late, and maybe David should go on upstairs and try to get some sleep. David goes upstairs, and then there is some noise outside. Julia looks out the window, and gasps. Outside the house, it's Storm, tired and out of breath.... and with a bloody face. He comes up to the door and begs Julia to let him in. Julia isn't sure, but Storm assures her that "my lust has been satisfied... what am I? What have I become?" Julia then hears Selby and Barnabas talking while approaching. She moves the garlic aside and helps Storm inside and behind the bookcase. A moment later, Selby and Barnabas are at the door, and Barnabas says "Perhaps we'll have better luck in the morning. Good night, Quentin." Selby nods, and says goodnight. Barnabas shuts the door, and Selby begins to leave, but then stops. He notices the garlic has been moved aside, and then quietly moves towards the window. Inside, Storm steps out from behind the bookcase and Barnabas asks him if he is all right. Storm answers "Yes." Barnabas then hesitates as he asks "Where have you been?" Storm catches his breath and says "I couldn't control the hunger for blood. I headed for the waterfront.." Barnabas looks at him knowingly, but Storm continues "I forced myself to run back into the woods. I found a farm... some cattle... I feel so disgusting...." Barnabas tells him "Don't blame yourself for the curse, Quentin. Be grateful you had enough will power to keep from hurting a human being." As Storm smiles at Barnabas, we cut to the outside and see that Selby has been watching all of this from the window. He smiles slyly.