Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Episode 1288

Aired: Wednesday June 2, 1971

After a replay of Tuesday's close and the titles, Barnabas and Julia try to escape the bat. Julia picks up a poker from the fireplace, but the poker passes right through the bat as it menaces Barnabas. As it gets closer and closer, Barnabas sees the red eyes and tries to guard his neck, but the bat suddenly fades away and the candles are aflame again. Julia asks Barnabas if he is all right, and he says he is, though "Clearly that was only a warning. Petofi wants to toy with me over whether or not he will revisit my curse upon me. Julia, we must stop him!" Julia asks how, and Barnabas feels that the portrait is their "trump card. If we can make Petofi think that we will actually destroy it, he may flee from Quentin's body." Julia is skeptical over this approach, calling it a "long shot." Barnabas tells her that they should ask Quentin that night, and "Besides, until we are sure of David's whereabouts, Quentin may not be safe where we have hidden him. David is one of the few other people who know of that room in the mausoleum." Julia nods, but adds "Barnabas, does David also know about the hidden vault in the basement?" Barnabas gasps, answering "I don't know."

At Collinwood, Selby enters confidently and sees Daphne coming down the stairs. He asks her if she has seen David, and she says she hasn't. He looks at her skeptically and says "Now, you wouldn't be lying to me, would you my dear?" Daphne gets scared of him and begins to back away, further up the stairs. Selby follows "I think you are hiding dear David, but it won't do you any good." Daphne demands to know "Why are you acting this way, Quentin? You're scaring me, stop it!" Selby suddenly stops, and stares off into the distance. "Wait, my dear, wait..." he says. "I have added a set of eyes to my repertoire... and they are seeing something...." Daphne says "You're mad!" and runs upstairs, but Selby doesn't follow. We see in the spot he is staring at an emerging apparition of the basement of the old house. Barnabas is in the basement walking to Adam's old cell. He opens it, and then opens the secret panel in the wall where some jewelry and Quentin's portrait are. Selby smiles and says "Yes... yes! Now my dear Barnabas... where will you try to hide it next?" The apparition follows Barnabas carrying the portrait into the old house's living room, where he puts it behind the bookcase in the hidden room. In the apparition, he tells Julia "Petofi has already searched here. He will not be back." Julia says "I hope you're right" as Selby, watching, laughs and the apparition fades. But at the old house, Barnabas is closing the bookcase when Julia screams "Barnabas! Look!" Barnabas turns, and sees the bat floating in the air, watching him with bright red eyes.

Barnabas tries to move away from the bat, but it fades away again. "We are not safe here," he says, and Julia and he leave to meet Storm/Quentin at the mausoleum. Meanwhile at Collinwood, Selby is knocking on Daphne's door, demanding to come in. When she refuses, he works his magic on the lock and enters. Daphne says "How did you open that door? I locked it from the inside." Selby snaps "A simple lock will not keep me out. I only want to borrow something from you before I leave, my dear. Something that has been close to you..." Daphne moves away and says "Stay away from me! Anderson has done something to you! You're different! Evil!" Selby laughs and answers "I am Anderson, my dear, at least that is how you knew me once. But I wasn't even him, really. I am Count Andreas Petofi. You should remember me well, my dear, since you would not be here if not for me." Daphne is very scared and confused now, but Selby grabs her before she can get to the door. She pleads for him to leave her alone, and he answers "Of course I will, my dear. I only want this." Selby removes her scarf and places it in his pocket. Daphne is surprised, but before she can react, Selby passes his hand over her head and says "And now you will sleep, my dear. Sleep very deeply." She falls out of his arms and onto the bed. "And when you awake, you will have a whole new existence..." he adds before leaving and locking her in.

Barnabas and Julia are at the mausoleum and open the door to the secret room. As they enter, Storm is just getting out of his coffin. He asks them what they are doing there, and they tell him that Petofi knows that they know, etc. and that they need to use the portrait as a weapon. Storm isn't sure about this, but suddenly they hear the squealing of the bat again. Barnabas cannot see it, but we cut to Selby at Collinwood, watching the apparition of Barnabas, Julia & Storm in the mausoleum room, smiling and laughing.