Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Episode 1292

Aired: Tuesday June 8, 1971

Quentin and Julia return to Collinwood to see if they can find David, but when Quentin enters the drawing room, Daphne is there. Quentin smiles when he sees her, and says "Daphne, are you all right?" but she has already taken a gun out of the desk and is pointing it at him.

After the titles, Quentin tries to tell Daphne that it's really him and that he's back to normal, but she is skeptical. Julia enters and pleads with Daphne to drop the gun. Daphne isn't sure she can trust Julia either, and says that "David is the only one I can trust right now!" Julia asks her where David is, since he had disappeared. David enters the drawing room and says "I'm right here!" When this distracts Daphne, Quentin manages to get the gun away from her. David sees this and yells at him not to hurt Daphne. "Why would I want to do that, David?" Quentin says as he puts the gun back in the desk. "Anderson is gone. He's gone forever. Trust me, I'm back to my same old lovable self." David looks at him skeptically and says "If you're really Quentin again, tell me about the time you helped me fix my camera." Quentin looks at him and says "Your father helped you fix the camera, David. I don't know anything about them." David smiles and says "That's right. What else can I ask you?" Quentin laughs a little and moves towards David. "David, you can ask me whatever you want if you want to make sure. But first I want to tell you that I'm very proud of you for the way you helped us to deal with Anderson. You handled yourself more like a man than a boy. So, I might start treating you more like a man if that's okay with you." David happily says "Sure!" Daphne is starting to think Quentin is Quentin again, and moves closer to him. "I... almost killed you..." she says, but before she can go on, Quentin takes her hand and kisses it, saying "I'm sure you'll find a way of making it up to me." Daphne smiles, figuring it must be Quentin all right.

Julia gets off the telephone with the hospital and tells Quentin that Sebastian is out of shock and should make a complete recovery. Quentin comments on how wonderful it must be for Sebastian to be free of Roxanne at last, "just like I'm free of Petofi, for the time being anyway." Julia tells him not to talk like that, and to believe that Petofi really has been destroyed. Taking a drink, Quentin tells her that he intends to never let his guard down. David enters the room and asks Quentin if he'd like to play some chess. Quentin smiles and begins to set up the board as Julia asks David how he managed to escape. David looks at Quentin and says "I think you tried to hypnotize me when you were acting weird." Julia asks "And what happened?" David says "Nothing. I pretended to be hypnotized and told him whatever he'd believe. I don't think I can be hypnotized. I read in a book that you have to be able to really concentrate on something for it to work, and I don't know, I just don't think I can do that." Julia thinks a moment, no doubt remembering her own experience with David, and says "Yes, that can be true."

Roger and Elizabeth return to Collinwood and enter the drawing room as Quentin and David's chess game is close to an end. Roger takes an interest and asks Quentin if David is improving, and Quentin answers "In a lot of ways, Roger. You have a great son." David looks at Roger and asks him if he's "all right now." Roger looks confused and asks David what he means. David says "Well, everyone was acting strange around here, don't you remember? It was like you were all under Anderson's power! But now he's gone and you're all right!" Roger snaps "David, I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about! Now stop this nonsense!" David is about to argue when Quentin stops him with "It's best not to talk about this now." David goes on insisting how Anderson had taken over the family, and Liz tells him to calm down. David runs from the room, yelling how "it's always the same! Nobody believes me!" and Quentin follows him. Roger looks at Julia and scoffs "Will that boy ever outgrow that imagination?" Liz walks over to the window and looks at her reflection in it for a moment, and then runs her finger over the window as if she is remembering, and then gasps in horror for a moment, screaming "No! Don't! Keep away from me!" Roger and Julia look at her wondering what's going on.

Quentin enters David's room, where David is looking through a box of his old toys angrily. Quentin asks if he can come in, and David says that he may as well go back to playing with all his old toys since no one will ever let him grow up. Quentin sits down and tells him he understands how he feels, but that "Your father doesn't seem to want to know about strange happenings around here, whether you see them happening or if I do, or Julia, or anyone. I know you're right about Anderson and everything, but it might be best not to mention it to your father or your aunt." David tells Quentin thanks, but adds "why do we always have to keep secrets from each other? Why do the Collinses always do that?" Quentin smiles and says it's a family hallmark. "David, you can tell me about these kinds of things if you want to, and I'll listen to you, okay? I may even believe you!" David puts the box back under the bed and says okay. Back in the drawing room, Liz says she's all right, and doesn't know why she got frightened by the window. Roger asks if she saw something outside, but she says no. She says she thought she remembered something, but can't put her finger on it. Julia looks intrigued.