Friday, May 29, 2009

Episode 1300

Aired: Friday June 18, 1971

After a replay of Thursday's close and the titles, Barnabas tries to communicate with Angelique's ghost. "Yes... I can hear you," he says. "I can hear you in my thoughts." She moves closer to him and waves her hand over his head. "To the point of return... why do you keep saying that? What does it mean?" Angelique starts to move closer, but then as Julia comes downstairs, the ghost vanishes. "No! Don't go! Come back, Angelique! Come back!" Barnabas yells. Julia asks him what's been happening, and he tells her that Angelique's ghost appeared to him again, and that she kept telling him how he should "go back to the point of return. Julia, what could it mean?" Julia says she doesn't know, and asks Barnabas how he feels otherwise. He says he is okay now, and that she can disconnect the tubes from him. "This transfusion will keep the craving from me temporarily, but I don't know another answer, Julia." he says. Julia tells him that she has "prepared a new, more powerful injection. Perhaps it will be enough to break Petofi's curse." Barnabas is skeptical, reminding Julia of what happened when they last tried the injection on Quentin. "I think Angelique is trying to tell me the answer, Julia. If I can only figure out what she means by the point of return." Julia tells him that until he can figure that out, he must be willing to try anything.

In the living room, Julia is preparing the new injection while trying to convince Barnabas to undergo a new experiment. Barnabas is still obsessing over what Angelique was trying to tell him. "What could the point of return mean?" Julia says that she agrees it can't be Cassandra's dream since this Angelique never had a chance to become Cassandra. "Yes," Barnabas agrees. "In a way, that whole sorry episode may well be forgotten forever." Julia thinks out loud how amazed she was when Angelique changed for the good in 1840. "I was caught by surprise as well, " Barnabas adds. "Perhaps it was always the power she got from Judah Zachary and not her own jealousies that led her to cause such evil. Once she was able to fight them and they were removed, she gained her soul back. I can appreciate what she may have gone through, now more than ever." Julia remarks that the injection may change that. Barnabas continues though "Perhaps the point of return is when I made that first mistake back in Martinique. Perhaps if I had allowed myself to love her then, she could have fought off that power before doing any of the damage that happened." Julia says that "You never know how things can change from changing one element in the past." Barnabas thinks he has found the answer though, adding "That must be it Julia! The point of return! If I can get back there, relive those nights in Martinique and declare my love for her in spite of my father's wishes, perhaps I can avoid the curse that has followed me through history! I must use my powers to will myself back to 1795!" Julia looks at him and says "Barnabas, no! You mustn't!" He looks at her wondering why.

Julia continues, explaining that if Barnabas managed to go back to 1795 like he has said, he may be happy with Angelique, but "chances are the present day Collins family will cease to exist because the paths of others will be altered." Barnabas thinks a moment, muttering "Daniel... Jeremiah....Sarah...all of them..." Barnabas gets melancholy, lamenting how "so many of those I loved in the past must suffer and die so that those I love now can live. Why?" Julia tries to calm him, and readies him for the injection. He looks at Julia with trust as he rolls up his sleeve. Julia says "We should know soon if this has any effect. Tell me how you feel after I give you this shot." She gives him the shot, and he waits a moment. She asks him how he feels, and he says he feels nothing, "no difference." Julia says that "this might be a good sign anyway, considering what happened the last time..." but before she can finish, Barnabas is growing more agitated, and his eyes are wide open. "The craving!" he yells. "It's growing stronger than ever! Julia! Stop it! Stop it, please!" Julia, panicked, says "I don't know how! Oh Barnabas! No! The injection! It's making it worse!" Barnabas' eyes are wide open as he breathes heavily and starts to bare his fangs....

"I must have blood...." Barnabas says, eyeing Julia. She backs away, begging Barnabas to control himself. "I MUST!" he yells, knocking some furniture out of the way. "There's no other way, Julia..." he says. "I must have blood or will myself to the past..." Julia yells at him "No, Barnabas! You might destroy everyone here if you do that!" Barnabas angrily says "I don't care! I must stop this craving! I must find my own happiness!" Julia cowers as Barnabas approaches her adding "...starting with your blood, Julia...." Julia cries "No, Barnabas, don't..." As Barnabas gets closer, a glowing light appears between him and Julia. It gets brighter, blocking his way. Angelique appears in the light, and Julia sees her. She looks at Barnabas and puts her hand up to stop him from moving towards Julia. He yells "I must have blood! No.... help me! Help me Angelique! The point of return! Take me to the point of return!" Julia yells "No, Barnabas, don't do it!" But Angelique's ghost smiles and moves towards Barnabas with her arms stretched out. Barnabas starts to calm down as the ghost embraces him, saying simply "The point of return....the point of return..." until he and Angelique's ghost both vanish together! Julia sees this and yells "Barnabas! Barnabas!"