Thursday, May 28, 2009

Episode 1299

Aired: Thursday June 17, 1971

Barnabas is pacing in the living room of the old house impatiently, every once in a while stopping to look out the window at the moon. He thinks to himself "Another endless night. I cannot imprison myself in this house tonight. I must go out, but I cannot! How do I know I won't hurt someone, or even....kill someone?" He paces some more, but then winds up at the coat rack, and begins to put on his cape. "I must go out, at least for a walk, for some fresh air." As he is about to leave, the door opens and it's Willie. He says hello, and that Liz gave the okay to hire him full time as the Collins estate groundskeeper. Barnabas quickly says a congratulations and moves by him and out the door. Willie calls to him "Barnabas! Hey Barnabas! Where are ya goin?"

After the titles, Willie is still calling to Barnabas to no avail, and then goes back inside as Julia comes down the stairs. She asks him what the yelling is all about, and Willie, panicked, tells her that Barnabas has gone out. "And you know what that means! Soon those dogs'll be howling, and a lotta bad stuff is gonna happen!" Julia tells Willie to calm down, and that they must go after Barnabas. Willie is hesitant at this, reminding Julia how "you don't know how angry he can get when you try to stop him! I'm not going after him alone!" Julia tells Willie that they can get help this time. "Quentin knows about Barnabas. And Barnabas trusts Quentin. We must go to Collinwood and get him." Julia assists Willie out the door. We cut to the docks area of Collinsport, where some people are milling about. A young couple walks by and as we follow them, we see Barnabas, standing off to the side with dark brooding eyes watching them, and we hear him thinking "I shouldn't be here, this was a mistake. Too many people, too many beating hearts....I must control myself....I must!"

A lone woman stands on the pier looking out at the ocean. Barnabas comes up besides her and apologizes for startling her. She looks him over and says it's okay. "A lovely woman such as yourself should not be out here alone," Barnabas says. She smiles and says she just had an argument with her boyfriend. "Oh, I'm so sorry, " Barnabas continues. "I hope I am not intruding." She says he isn't, and that "After all, if had good manners like you, maybe we wouldn't have argued." Barnabas thanks her, and then remarks on how "I never tire of the reflection of the stars on the ocean waves. That is why I enjoy coming out here. It reminds me of a thousand glistening candles flickering in the evening wind." She looks at him and says "You are very old fashioned." He moves in closer with simply a "Yes" as he stares at her with dark vampire eyes. "And...very romantic" she adds as he leans in even closer and more menacing with a "Yes..." as he embraces her and opens his mouth baring long fangs......

Barnabas is just about to bite into the woman's neck when he hears Quentin shout "Barnabas! Barnabas!" He stops himself and moves away from the woman, and Quentin approaches. "Barnabas! There you are! I'm so glad I found you!" The woman asks Barnabas who his "cute friend is," and Quentin says "Good evening, Miss. Barnabas, your wife and I are waiting inside the Blue Whale for you." "Wife?" Barnabas asks. "Wife?" says the woman angrily. "You men are all the same." The woman storms off and Barnabas looks away from Quentin and says "I suppose I should thank you." Quentin adds "Not as much as she should." Barnabas tells Quentin he couldn't help himself, the craving only "grows stronger with each passing night." Quentin says he understands, but that Julia wanted "me to find you since she thinks she might have a way to help you." Barnabas asks what, and Quentin tells him how Julia had gone into town that day and set up equipment in the old house to give Barnabas a transfusion. Barnabas is interested, but then remarks on how "It may help for a while, but it won't be a cure." Quentin tells him that it's better than nothing, and Barnabas agrees to go back to the old house.

At the old house, Barnabas is on an examination table in the basement as Julia is giving him a transfusion. She asks him if it is helping, and he tells her that "the craving is gone, at least for now." She says she's glad, and he takes her hand and says "I'm glad too." Julia gets a shyness attack and says she needs something upstairs, and tells Barnabas to lie still as she leaves. After a moment, there is a glowing white light in the room that Barnabas sees. As he stares at it, Angelique appears. Barnabas smiles at her and says "Angelique! You've come to me again." The ghost smiles at him.