Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Episode 1307

Aired: Tuesday June 29, 1971

Barnabas is showing Angelique the various ways he's restored the old house after moving in, and Angelique remarks what a nice job he's done, and how she's "so looking forward to once again being the mistress of this house." Julia enters and tells Barnabas that she needs to talk to him, looking at Angelique and adding "privately," to Angelique's annoyance.

After the titles, Barnabas tells Julia that Angelique shouldn't be "excluded," but Angelique says it's okay and goes upstairs. Barnabas wants to know what is "so important," and Julia tells him that she thinks that Stokes may be suspecting "the truth" about Quentin after being told everything about Barnabas. "Is that all?" Barnabas scoffs. "I'll discuss this with Quentin. I'm sure he feels the same trust for Stokes that I do." Julia thinks this might be a good approach. Barnabas takes a long pause and then adds "Is that really the reason you came over here, Julia?" Julia says she doesn't know what Barnabas means, and Barnabas answers "Things have changed, Julia. I am sorry but you will have to adjust. We have both been through a lot, but Angelique is my wife now." Hurt, Julia answers "I... suppose she always was...." Barnabas looks at her and says "Perhaps. But in any case, I must devote my time to her now. I know we can still be friends. In time, you will see that." A teary Julia says she "hopes so."

Barnabas and Angelique enter the foyer of Collinwood and bump into Mrs. Johnson. He asks her how Liz is doing, and Mrs. Johnson says that "that Dr. Slater has scheduled her for surgery. I don't know how she can be so brave, I'd be very scared to get an operation." Barnabas tells her that he's sure that Dr. Slater knows what he's doing, since he is "purported to be one of the top men in his field." Mrs. Johnson laughs and says "Tell that to Mr. Roger Collins!" Tiring of her, Barnabas asks where Quentin is, and she directs them to the drawing room. Quentin is having a drink when Barnabas enters. "Barnabas!" he says. "I'm so glad to see you again.... this day." "Exactly," answers Barnabas. Quentin sees Angelique and says "You! You must be awfully proud of yourself. You saved him and then he could save you. I propose a toast!" Angelique thanks him and takes the drink he has poured her, but then adds "I don't mean to be rude, but even though Barnabas has told me all about you, I don't feel as if I really know you." Quentin is confused, and Barnabas reminds him that "this Angelique came straight from 1840 to here. She never experienced meeting us in 1897 and has no memory of it." Looking her over, Quentin laughs a bit and says "My dear, you're all the better for that! I'd like to forget a lot of what happened back then myself!" before downing his drink. Barnabas closes the drawing room doors and tells Quentin that he came by to "discuss something important." Quentin says "Oh?" and Barnabas answers "How well do you trust Professor Stokes?"

Quentin tells Barnabas that he likes "that funny old man and the way his mind works." Barnabas tells Quentin that he felt an "obligation" to tell Stokes the truth about himself after everything Stokes had done to help the Collins family "since I know how frustrated he had always been over the half-truths Julia and I had given him. I know now how he enjoys knowledge for its own sake, and I felt I owed him." "What does this have to do with me?" Quentin asks. Barnabas answers that Stokes' knowledge of Angelique and him may lead him to become "more curious" about what happened in 1897, the relationship of Quentin to the ghost that once haunted Collinwood, and so on. Quentin says he wouldn't want someone "looking into such connections" since he's afraid it may destroy his relationship with the family. Angelique counters that Stokes will be a great help in discovering more about Daphne, and Barnabas adds that "perhaps even Stokes' knowledge could help you to become free of your portrait without....consequences." Quentin thinks about this and says "Maybe. I just haven't known him as long as you, Barnabas. I don't know." Barnabas tells Quentin to work closely with Stokes in helping Daphne, and then he'll "see that he can be trusted. Besides, telling him may prevent others from finding unnecessary things out if Stokes' curiosity was piqued and he began uncovering things on his own." Quentin nods.

Julia is standing by the fountain looking sad when Willie happens by. He asks her what's wrong, and she says "nothing," nut Willie isn't fooled. He asks her why she's not happy for Barnabas, now that he's human again. "He even made up with Angelique, after everything that happened, you know? I never thought he could do that. I think he's really changed." Julia agrees that "things have changed," and Willie starts to get clued in. He asks her if she's upset that Barnabas is with Angelique now, and though Julia denies it, Willie doesn't believe her. When he presses her though, she gets a little angry and answers "It makes no difference to me, Willie. Barnabas is not my whole life. I have other responsibilities." Willie says he knows, but before he can finish Julia adds "It may be time for me to get back to them." "What do you mean?" asks Willie. Julia answers "Perhaps it's time I returned to Windcliff, and left Collinwood for good." Willie is stunned to hear this.