Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Episode 1308

Aired: Wednesday June 30, 1971

After a replay of Tuesday's close and the titles, Stokes visits Quentin at Collinwood. Quentin asks him if he's found anything out about Daphne, and Stokes tells him that he hasn't. "I will need to meet Daphne all over again and talk to her," he adds. Quentin is confused as to why, and Stokes reminds him that when he returned from 1840 to this time, his counterpart who had been there before "is no longer here. All the memories and experiences that took place before Barnabas returned once again are gone." Quentin frets on how "weeks of leads are now gone," but Stokes tells him that they should be able to catch up very quickly, "as long as you tell me everything that could be of any help." Quentin wonders what "everything" includes.

Quentin has told Stokes a great deal, enough for Stokes to marvel "That is a fantastic theory, that Petofi's powers were so great, he could re-embody a spirit long dead. I will need to research this much further." Quentin tells Stokes not to tell Daphne about this theory of her origin, since "I have no idea how such knowledge may affect her." He looks at Stokes as if he's testing his trust on this one, and Stokes' "Yes, I agree. I will leave that in your hands, Mr. Collins" boosts Quentin's confidence in him. "I brought back a wealth of material from 1840, and there should be enough there to get me started. I will need to look back into any records of such sorcery and see if Petofi or another like him was involved." Willie comes bursting in, and tells Quentin that he needs to talk to him. Quentin tells Willie to wait a moment, and sends Stokes on his way. Annoyed, Quentin asks Willie what's so important, and Willie answers "It's Dr. Hoffman. She's thinking of leaving. I don't know what to tell Barnabas, I just don't know how to tell him!" Quentin raises an eyebrow.

"I take it you want me to tell him," Quentin says. Willie remarks on how Barnabas trusts Quentin "more than me" and how "he'll listen to you if you tell him to do something." Quentin asks what can he do if Julia really wants to leave. "Maybe it's for the best, Willie" Quentin adds. "I don't know if I'd want to stay to watch someone I....cared about be married to someone else." Willie responds that "But he might need her again! He's okay now, but you never know with him! It's happened before that things get messed up! And Dr. Hoffman is the only one who can handle him when he's like that!" Quentin scoffs at this notion, but Willie adds "Barnabas told me that Angelique was the one who made him that way to begin with, but now that she's lost her power, she's not mean anymore. I don't really get it, but it's his life, you know?" Quentin answers "Yes, it is, Willie." Willie answers "But I was thinkin' if something went wrong, and she has no power anymore, that she couldn't help him even if she wanted to!" Quentin tells Willie he's being ridiculous and that nothing is going to happen, but Willie says "I hope you're right, but I still think you should talk to Barnabas and see if he can get Dr. Hoffman to stay! You might be wrong!" Quentin thinks about this a moment.

Julia returns to Collinwood and finds Quentin. He tells her that Willie had mentioned that she was leaving Collinwood, and Julia says that this is true. "Willie was afraid of something going wrong and all of us needing you again," Quentin adds. "I'm beginning to think he may have something there." Julia thanks Quentin, but reminds him that she'll only be as far away as Windcliff, and that Professor Stokes is still in town to help with any unforeseen happenings. Quentin thinks this over as we cut to Stokes visiting Liz in the hospital. He asks her how she's been feeling, and she says fine. Stokes asks her if she is "still feeling disconnected from the passing of time" as she had told him before, and Liz says she does, but "not as much as before." Stokes thinks that this could mean that the symptoms are fading, or that she has simply been disoriented further by being in a hospital room. He starts to twirl his monocle on its chain and asks Liz to look at it. He starts to put her under, and Liz is soon in a trance. Stokes begins to tell her that after she awakens, she will be "in tune with time, connected to every passing moment of reality." He instructs her to remember this "forever" even though she will forget that he has put her under. As he counts down to wake her up, Alan enters the room just as Stokes snaps his fingers and demands to know "what is going on in here?"