Friday, June 26, 2009

Episode 1320

Aired: Friday July 16, 1971

David Selby's voiceover: "Many changes are taking place at the great house of Collinwood. Enemies of old have rediscovered even older love and have married, but this has stirred the shadows of the past. An angry spirit has begun to haunt them in order to put their love asunder, but on this day, young David Collins has also encountered a spirit from his past, one as innocent as the young child she once was...."

David and Quentin are coming down the stairs in the foyer as Quentin is asking him where he'd like to have lunch in the village. David says he wants to stop at the drugstore and get his film developed first since "he has to prove something to everyone." When Quentin asks him what, all David says is "You'll see!" Roger comes out of the drawing room and tells them to hold up for a moment since he has something important to discuss with David. Quentin says that they are only heading out for lunch, but Roger says that he must speak to David right away.

After the titles, Roger tells David that he's very upset about the argument they had over seeing Sarah, but David tells Roger that after the film is developed, "you'll see I'm telling the truth." Quentin asks who Sarah is, and Roger answers "a figment of David's imagination that we thought was an episode long over." Quentin looks at David, who simply says "I didn't imagine her." Roger says "Well, I don't wish to talk about that anymore. What I really wanted to talk to you about, David, was your schooling." David asks why, and Roger says that he has gotten word from the boarding school that they are having a limited summer session, beginning in about a week. "You could go there for this session and see how you like it," Roger adds. David answers "You're trying to send me away! You're trying to send me away since you don't think I saw Sarah!" Roger says that's "certainly not true" and that "I found out about this days ago, I just haven't had the chance to tell you. I thought you might enjoy going, David. Hallie Stokes is there, there are other children your age. It will be a wonderful experience for you to get away from Collinwood for a while and be more responsible for yourself." David is still thinking his father wants to get rid of him, but Quentin says "You know, your father is right David." David says "Not you too!" Quentin answers "No, no, no. I don't know about this Sarah, but I do know that you're old enough to be more responsible for yourself and live on your own for a while." David likes the sound of that, but says he'd "like to think about it." Quentin tells him to wait in the car while he gets the keys. David goes out the front door, and Quentin asks Roger about Sarah. Roger says that he'd rather not discuss it, only that David claimed he had seen the ghost of a little girl years ago, "right about the same time he imagined all sorts of horrible things about Barnabas as well. It's best to leave it all in the past." Roger heads upstairs as Quentin stops a moment to look at Barnabas' portrait on the wall before going outside.

Julia enters Collinwood, but before she can get upstairs, Quentin asks her into the drawing room and closes the doors. He tells her that David saw "someone named Sarah, who Roger insisted does not exist. I had the feeling you might know more about this." Julia is surprised, and says "Sarah! David saw her? When? Where?" Quentin asks Julia who Sarah is, and Julia says "She's Barnabas' sister. No one has seen her ghost in years." Quentin asks "Not even Barnabas?" Julia says "No, Sarah swore she would not appear to him again unless he had changed. I saw her, I was there when she made that promise. " Quentin laughs a little, and says "Well, he's certainly changed now. Maybe she kept her promise." Julia says that someone should tell Barnabas that David has seen her, and Quentin says "Why don't you tell him then?" Julia says that she doesn't want to get involved, and that she'll be "leaving soon for Windcliff anyway. I can let myself get drawn into all of this again." Quentin says "Julia, I know you still care about Barnabas. He'd be very upset if he thought you didn't care at all." Julia says she's sorry, but that can't be helped, and excuses herself from the room. Quentin gets his coat and leaves Collinwood.

At the old house, Barnabas is coming down the stairs to answer the knock at the door. It's Quentin, who Barnabas invites in. Barnabas asks him what he "wanted to see me about" and Quentin bluntly answers "Your sister Sarah." "Sarah!" Barnabas gasps, leaning on the railing. Quentin continues "Yes, Sarah. David claims he saw her in the woods this morning." Barnabas turns to Quentin and frantically says "In the woods? Where? What did she say to him?" Quentin tells Barnabas to calm down as they both move into the living room, but Barnabas goes on. "Sarah, dear Sarah. She's come back, back to me after all these years." Quentin says "She was very important to you, Barnabas?" Barnabas answers "I loved her more than anyone else in my family. She was so innocent and sweet and kind. My father was a cold and distant man. I was much older than Sarah, and I had to be there for her more than even our father was." Quentin nods in understanding. "When I was first freed from my coffin, her spirit returned here, but refused to see me unless I somehow conquered the evil within me. I still remember the night she confronted me and vanished before my eyes.... I thought I would never see her again, and a part of my heart died on that night." Quentin says "Well, David saw her this morning. I suppose she will appear to you sooner or later." Barnabas answers "Will she? How can we be sure? Perhaps her spirit is angered the same as Jeremiah's." Quentin asks "Did she die hating you like Jeremiah?" Barnabas starts to remember, answering "No... not at all...." as we dissolve into a flashback of Sarah upon her deathbed in the old house in 1795. Barnabas enters the room, with dark vampire eyes and a cape covering his clothes, and at first Sarah is scared of him, but Barnabas tells her how he is still her brother and that he still loves her. She weakly says "Hold me, Barnabas." Barnabas smiles and hugs her, telling her how he'll never let anything happen to her. Sarah weakly says "I love you Barnabas" but then dies limp in Barnabas' arms. He lays her down on the bed and begins to cry as we dissolve back to the present where Quentin has been listening to this story. Quentin says "She died still loving you, Barnabas. She must have come back to tell you that." Barnabas answers "I can hope, but I cannot be sure."

Barnabas is sitting, deep in thought, as Angelique enters the room. She asks him if anything is wrong, and Barnabas tells her how David saw Sarah in the woods. Angelique is shocked, and asks Barnabas why she would be here. "I don't know," Barnabas says. Angelique says that they should try to see if Stokes can exorcise both spirits "back to where they belong," but Barnabas says "No, not hers. I know she would never harm me." "Then what could she be doing here?" Angelique asks. "Perhaps she is here to protect us from Jeremiah. I can't think of any other reason," Barnabas replies. There is a knock at the door, and it's Julia. Barnabas is happy to see her, Angelique merely is polite. Barnabas tells her how David saw Sarah, and Julia tells him that she knows since Quentin told her, "but that's not why I'm here." Barnabas asks why, and Julia says that she was "coming over to say her final goodbyes since I'll be leaving very early tomorrow morning." Barnabas pleads "There's nothing I can say to get you to change your mind then? Not even if we need you to help us now?" Julia turns away from him and says "No, I can't let myself get involved in all of this anymore." Angelique smiles at this statement, and Julia begins to open the front door. Suddenly, the door flies from her hand and SLAMS shut - ghostly wind kicks up and the candles in the room all blow out. "Barnabas! What is happening?" Julia shouts. We then hear Jeremiah's dark laughter, as Barnabas yells "Jeremiah! You will begone from my house!" He tries to find the medallion Stokes left him, but before he can do anything, we hear Jeremiah's booming voice: "Barnabas Collins! I will have my revenge! Tonight, we will duel again... only this time without a spell from Angelique to spare you and murder me...." Angelique yells for him to "Return to your grave! I command you!" We hear more of his laughter, and then Julia screams when, suddenly, she sees the bloody bandaged ghost of Jeremiah, standing in front of Barnabas, aiming an 18th century pistol at his heart.....