Monday, June 29, 2009

Episode 1321

Aired: Monday July 19, 1971

In a repeat of Friday's close, Julia has come to the old house and has no interest that David saw Sarah's ghost again. Barnabas asks why, and Julia says that she was "coming over to say her final goodbyes since I'll be leaving very early tomorrow morning." Barnabas pleads "There's nothing I can say to get you to change your mind then? Not even if we need you to help us now?" Julia turns away from him and says "No, I can't let myself get involved in all of this anymore." Angelique smiles at this statement, and Julia begins to open the front door. Suddenly, the door flies from her hand and SLAMS shut - ghostly wind kicks up and the candles in the room all blow out. "Barnabas! What is happening?" Julia shouts. We then hear Jeremiah's dark laughter, as Barnabas yells "Jeremiah! You will begone from my house!" He tries to find the medallion Stokes left him, but before he can do anything, we hear Jeremiah's booming voice: "Barnabas Collins! I will have my revenge! Tonight, we will duel again... only this time without a spell from Angelique to spare you and murder me...." Angelique yells for him to "Return to your grave! I command you!" We hear more of his laughter, and then Julia screams when, suddenly, she sees the bloody bandaged ghost of Jeremiah, standing in front of Barnabas, aiming an 18th century pistol at his heart.....

After the titles, Jeremiah's ghost stands pointing the pistol at Barnabas, and Angelique suddenly steps in front of him. Barnabas yells "No! I cannot let him harm you!" and pushes her aside as Jeremiah fires the gun. Barnabas clutches his chest as both Julia and Angelique scream, and we see he is bleeding. Jeremiah begins to laugh, and bellows "Do you think it will be this easy, Barnabas? You are gravely mistaken...." before vanishing. When he vanishes, Angelique grabs Barnabas and asks him if he's all right, and Julia pushes her aside with "I must examine him! I am a doctor!" to which Angelique snaps "I am his wife, Julia!" Barnabas, however, takes his hand away from his chest, and he is not bleeding. He is shaken, but not shot. Julia says "Barnabas! You were shot! I saw him shoot you at point blank range!" Barnabas slowly stands and answers "It seems I was shot with a phantom bullet, Julia. Jeremiah won't let me die so easily or quickly. It seems he wants our suffering to linger." Angelique hugs him with an "Oh, Barnabas!" as he tells her he's all right. Barnabas, holding Angelique, tells Julia that he still "needs her" to help fight this "evil spirit." Julia sees him holding Angelique tightly, and turns away, weakly answering "I cannot help you this time, Barnabas," but then turns back and gets more strength in her voice to add "You'll have to get help from your wife." Angelique turns and scowls at Julia.

Angelique snaps "I no longer have my powers, Julia. I can only help him as a loving mortal wife." Julia gets cold and says "Well, I promised myself that I would no longer concern myself with the affairs of Collinwood. I came here to say goodbye before I return to Windcliffe, and I have." Barnabas moves towards her, and begs her not to leave in such an "angry and jealous mood." Julia simply says "I'm sorry," and leaves the old house. Angelique is happy she's gone, but Barnabas says "I wish you wouldn't fight with her so much. I think we may yet need her help in fighting Jeremiah." Angelique angrily answers "I wish you didn't think you needed her so much, Barnabas. I may not be a doctor, and I may no longer have my powers, but I do have experience with these things. I will not let Jeremiah come between us. I will not!" Barnabas thinks about this. We cut to the Collinwood foyer as Carolyn and Sebastian enter. Sebastian is interested in what Carolyn has told him about David seeing Sarah's ghost again, and discusses the possibility with her. Carolyn says that she believes David, but doesn't want to bring the subject up in front of Roger since it will only lead to an argument. Roger comes out of the drawing room and says hello, and then asks Carolyn "what will lead to an argument?" Carolyn says "Nothing, just Sebastian and I were discussing.... clothes. We agreed that a lot of the newer fashions are quite attractive, and we assumed you would disagree." Roger laughs a little and says "You are certainly right about that!" Roger heads upstairs as Carolyn and Sebastian head into the drawing room. Sebastian comments how it's unusual for any member of the Collins family not to believe in the paranormal after "all that's happened here." Carolyn says that her Uncle Roger is "merely stubborn." Sebastian says that he'd like to talk to David about what he's seen, and comments "I for one would certainly like to see this 'Sarah'....."

Julia enters Collinwood and sees Sebastian and Carolyn in the drawing room. She says hello, and Carolyn tells her that the family will "miss you when you leave us tomorrow." Julia says she will miss the family too, but "won't be that far away." Julia says goodnight, but then stops and turns to Sebastian. She tells him that he should go see Barnabas "about something you might be able to help him with." Sebastian asks what it could be, and then remarks that "I owe Barnabas my life, in a way. I guess I should help him any way I can." Julia says "That's very loyal of you, Mr. Shaw. I'd rather Barnabas told you about it himself, but I thought I'd let you know before I left here." Julia leaves the drawing room just as Roger returns. She says goodnight to Roger, and he remarks that he's "jumpy every time he hears the front door." Julia asks why, and Roger says that "it's possible that our New York cousin Harrison will be arriving tonight. I must admit I'm curious to meet him. You may want to stay up a little longer, Dr. Hoffman. He sounds like a fascinating young man." Julia considers this.

Sebastian tells Carolyn that he'll "visit Barnabas tomorrow and find out what is going on" as Roger asks "Don't tell me Barnabas wants you to do his horoscope, Shaw!" Sebastian answers that he's not sure, but "knowing Mr. Collins, he probably wants my opinion on some old volume of books he's been looking at." There is a knock at the front door, and Roger says "That must be our relative!" Roger, Carolyn and Sebastian move into the foyer and Roger answers the door. A young dark haired man (Keith Prentice) stands there and says "Good evening. I'm Harrison Collins. I've just arrived from New York." Roger introduces himself, and shakes Harrison's hand. He introduces Carolyn and Sebastian to Harrison, who says hello while looking around the foyer in fascination. Roger remarks "It's uncanny! A distant cousin none of us have ever met, and yet I would know you as a Collins the moment I laid eyes on you!" Harrison smiles and asks "Why is that, Roger?" Roger answers "You look just like my father when he was young! I'll have to show you the photographs." Carolyn suddenly remembers "That's what mother said!" Sebastian asks her what she means, and Carolyn said "Before she got sick. Mother said that he would look like your father!" Roger says "How would she know that? She's never seen him!" Carolyn says she doesn't know. Harrison listens to this and looks at Carolyn, curious.