Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Episode 1322

Aired: Tuesday July 20, 1971

After a replay of Harrison's arrival and the titles, Roger asks Carolyn how Liz would "ever know" that Harrison resembles their father before ever meeting him. Sebastian interrupts "Perhaps she had an episode of second sight." Roger scoffs at this, then tells Harrison "You'll have to forgive much of my family here, Harrison. They all seem to have marvelous imaginations and beliefs in the absurd." Harrison smiles and answers "I've always thought a vivid imagination is good for the soul," before turning to Carolyn and saying "You must be Carolyn" while kissing her hand. She says yes, and asks him how he knew, and his quickly answers "Well, I must admit I know a little about the family here in Collinsport." He turns to Sebastian and holds out his hand, and Sebastian introduces himself. Roger says he will go upstairs and fetch the rest of the family as Carolyn leads Harrison towards the drawing room as he continues to look around. He sees Barnabas' portrait and stops. "Who is that?" he asks Carolyn. Carolyn answers "That's Barnabas Collins, one of our ancestors. You'll meet his descendant while you're here, I'm sure. Our cousin Barnabas and his wife live in the old house on the estate." "Oh?" Harrison says. "Yes, I would like to meet them, of course." Sebastian says "Our Barnabas looks almost exactly like his ancestor. The family resemblance is remarkable." Carolyn adds "Uncanny, as my Uncle Roger would say," with a laugh. Harrison, still studying the portrait, says "How interesting," with a sly smile.

Liz enters the drawing room and sees Harrison, and exclaims "Harrison Collins! Welcome to Collinwood!" Harrison takes her hand and kisses it, impressing her. "You needn't be so formal," she says, but he answers "How else can I greet the beautiful mistress of Collinwood?" Liz says "That's very sweet of you," and remarks to Roger that Harrison does indeed bear a resemblance to their father. Alan enters the room and Liz introduces Harrison to him, and Alan whispers to Liz that Harrison "may look like your father, but so far is a lot friendlier." Liz tells Alan to "stop that!" and Roger pours everyone drinks. Harrison tells Liz that he's happy to see her looking so healthy, after hearing about her recent surgery from Carolyn "just now." "She's going to stay that way, as well" Alan adds. Roger asks Harrison what he "does," and Harrison answers "I've been in the business world for many years, Roger. But now I've earned enough from investments that have paid off, and I think I will travel for a while." Roger smiles and says he envies him. "I managed to sneak in a trip to Europe last year, but it's always so difficult to get away." "How long do you intend to stay in Collinsport?" Liz asks. Harrison says he's not sure, "especially since the more I see of it, and the more of my family I find here, the more I am fascinated by it all." David enters the room, and Harrison cuts himself off in mid-sentence by looking at him and saying "David! You must be David!" David wonders who Harrison is.

David says yes, that's who he is, and Harrison apologizes for surprising him, "just that I had learned everyone's names, and I knew you must be David. I'm Harrison Collins, a cousin from New York." "New York?" asks David. "I've only been there once, and it was huge! That must be a great place to live." Harrison says it is, and David says he'd like to go there with Quentin, but he's leaving for boarding school soon. "Really?" says Harrison. "Not so soon that we won't be able to get to know each other more." "Not for a while," says David. Roger tells Harrison that Quentin is another cousin who he will meet, "though I think he is out with his lady friend this evening." Liz asks Harrison where he is staying, and Harrison answers "in town." Liz invites Harrison to stay at Collinwood, adding "after all, you are family and we have plenty of room." Harrison answers "I think I'd like that, Elizabeth. I think I'd like that a lot," while smiling at David.

Harrison is unpacking some bags in a room as David enters with a book. "I found that book you were asking about, about the family history," David says. Harrison thanks him, and adds "Something tells me you know a lot about the family history and all the nooks and crannies of this house." David says he does, and Harrison says "Well, then I think you're the perfect person to give me the complete tour. I'm sure you know where all the most interesting stories are found." David thinks a moment and says "Well, sometimes it's best to leave some stories alone and parts of this house unexplored. I've learned that the hard way sometimes." Harrison laughs a little, and then looks at David and says "I think I'd like to explore the whole thing, David. One thing you should know about me is that I'm not afraid of anything." "Really?" David asks. Harrison says "Yes, really. I'd like to see the whole estate." David says he can show him "all sorts of stuff" but that "you'll have to ask Barnabas if you want to see the old house." Harrison remembers "Oh yes, your cousin Barnabas, from England, lives there." David answers "Yes. He's really nice, you'll like him." Harrison says "I'm sure I will," while hanging some clothes. "But be ready when you go there. He kept the old house original, with no electricity, no telephone. It's like he wants to live in another century." Harrison looks intrigued and says "Does he? Why is that?" David suddenly gets shy and says he doesn't know, and Harrison smiles and answers "Well, I would certainly like to meet this Barnabas Collins."