Friday, July 17, 2009

Episode 1335

Aired: Friday August 6, 1971

After a replay of Thursday's close and the titles, Harrison stands with the point of the foil at his Adam's apple as he says "Quentin...what are you doing?" Quentin says he's "finding out the truth about you." Harrison answers that he can "hardly speak about anything with death reaching out at my throat." Quentin simply says "Try." Harrison takes a small step back, then suddenly jerks his head away and slaps Quentin's foil away with his own. Surprised, Quentin tries another move, but Harrison is quick and spins Quentin's foil out of his hand! Shocked, Quentin steps back, unarmed as Harrison holds his own foil, but while looking directly at Quentin, he suddenly smiles and drops his foil to the floor. "I'm not your enemy, Quentin, " he says. Quentin answers "I suppose I should be grateful. I wasn't expecting skills like those." Harrison answers "I had a good teacher," before pouring Quentin a drink and continuing "Why do you suddenly doubt me?" Quentin explains how Stokes and he found absolutely nothing about Harrison while researching the New York branch of the family. "The Collins family has a lot of money and property," Quentin continues. "It pays to be careful." Harrison takes a drink and then says "I was hoping I would not have to go into this. But it seems I need to put your mind at ease. Can I trust you with the truth, Quentin?" Quentin smiles.

Harrison tells Quentin that he "did not want to shame the family with his story," and insists that Quentin not tell Roger or Elizabeth what he is about to say. Quentin says he "hopes he won't have to." Harrison continues that his grandfather had "shamed the family and the family name by taking up with a mistress. He spent lavishly on her, driving my grandmother to drink. He gambled the family holdings away, all in front of my father. I'm sure you discovered in your research with Professor Stokes that the Collins family branch I am from seems to evaporate over a generation ago." Quentin says yes. Harrison continues "My father had to change his name in order to get a fresh start in business after the scandal. The scandal was hushed up, kept out of the family history, records, and the papers. no one was the wiser. My own father didn't tell me my true lineage until I was 21. When he died, I looked into my ancestors, and found more pride than shame. I had my name legally changed back to Collins." Quentin is considering all this as Harrison takes out his wallet. He shows Quentin some papers and identifications inside. "Here is my passport, my New York driving license, some other papers that prove what I'm saying." Quentin looks them over and answers "It seems that you may be telling the truth..." Harrison laughs a little and says "Quentin, you're always such a skeptic." Quentin looks at him and Harrison continues "At least that's how Roger describes you. Roger thought I looked like his father, and I've seen the photographs. How could I be an impostor when I resemble the family so?" Quentin nods, and apologizes to Harrison. Quentin says that Harrison should "tell other members of the family so as not to arouse suspicion." Harrison asks "Who else is suspicious of me?" and then adds "Well, I suppose I'll tell them to talk to you." The two men drink together.

At the old house, Barnabas is looking worried when Angelique enters the living room. She tells him not to worry about Nicholas returning, but Barnabas answers that "now that he is back in that house by the sea, he will no doubt continue to vex us whenever he can. I wish I could tell Roger the truth about him." Angelique says there's no need to, since they can fight Nicholas together. "It's you I'm worried about," Barnabas says. "I fear he is using Jeremiah's spirit to get to you....to bring you back under his influence and take you away from me." Angelique hugs Barnabas and answers "He will never do that. You freed me from all of that with your love." Barnabas asks Angelique if Nicholas offered her any "sort of deal," and Angelique lies "No." Barnabas says he must go to Collinwood to talk to Quentin, and tells Angelique he will be back soon. After he leaves, Angelique thinks "How I hate lying to you...but I am afraid that if you know what Nicholas wants, he will use it against you, my love... what can I do?" She repeats out loud "What can I do?" Suddenly, Nicholas is in the room with her. "Yes, what can you do?" he says mockingly. Angelique tells him that he should "go back to where he came from" since she has "no intention of compromising Barnabas and whatever he knows of time." Nicholas says "That's too bad, but I've actually decided on another possible arrangement, that is if you're interested." After a pause, Angelique finally asks, angrily "What?" Nicholas laughs, saying "Now that's the Angelique I remember. I've thought of something better for you to do, my dear. This Harrison Collins fellow intrigues me. I sense powers in him that I don't quite understand." Angelique answers "It seems your senses are going astray. He's a perfectly ordinary man." Nicholas answers "Perhaps, perhaps not. I want you to find out more about him for me. Now I know you can do that. You certainly haven't lost any of your feminine charms, and they are certainly not lost on Harrison from what I've seen." Angelique looks at Nicholas angrily. "How dare you!" she says. Nicholas snaps "If you want to be free of Jeremiah, you will do as I say! Do we have a bargain?" Angelique turns away from him, thinks a moment, then answers "Yes. Now go, get out of here. I'm tired of you!" Nicholas says "I'll go, my dear. It's nice to be back in business with you again." He snickers as he leaves as Angelique glares at him.

Barnabas is walking through the woods on his way to Collinwood when he hears some footsteps. He looks around for a moment, and the noise stops. "Who is there?" he calls. There is no answer, and Barnabas shrugs and continues on. As he turns a corner, he suddenly sees a little girl's doll on the ground. He gasps, picks it up, and says "Sarah!" Barnabas looks around frantically, calling out for Sarah, and then he hears some footsteps again. He excitedly moves towards them, but then is surprised to see that it's Harrison. "Hello Barnabas," Harrison says. "Who were you calling for just now?" Barnabas stutters a bit, and Harrison sees the doll in his hand. "What is that?" he asks. "Oh...." Barnabas says, but before he can answer Harrison says "Did some child lose that in the woods?" Barnabas answers "Yes...I thought I saw a little girl running away, so I was calling to her." Harrison says "Maybe she knows she was trespassing on the Collins property and you scared her away." Barnabas looks sad and answers "Yes, perhaps." Harrison asks Barnabas where he is going, and Barnabas answers he is on his way to see Quentin at Collinwood. "And where are you going tonight?" Barnabas adds. "Just taking a stroll around the grounds. I know how you also find that enjoyable," Harrison answers. "Yes," Barnabas says, and then says he must not keep Quentin waiting. As he leaves, Harrison smiles and thinks "Yes, Barnabas. Don't keep Quentin waiting. He has much to tell you now." Harrison continues walking when he hears the sound of footsteps again. He turns, and standing behind him is Sarah. "You!" he says. He takes a step towards her, but she takes a step backwards quickly. Harrison starts to bend down, saying "No, please don't go. Don't be afraid of me. I want to talk to you. Is that okay?" Sarah looks at him sternly and only says "You're not supposed to be here" while shaking her head. Harrison looks uncomfortable.