Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Episode 1338

Aired: Wednesday August 11, 1971

After a replay of Tuesday's close and the titles, Quentin is reviving Daphne with a brandy. Daphne is frightened of what she has just learned about herself, but Quentin kisses her and says "You're still here. You're still real. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about." Stokes tells her that they've accomplished a lot for one night, and he will need to do some more research "since I know now what kind of spell we are dealing with." Carolyn asks Daphne if she is all right, and Daphne says she thinks she will be, but then turns to Carolyn and says "Tell me more about Victoria Winters."

The next morning, Harrison comes downstairs and finds Carolyn in the drawing room. He remarks that she looks "very tired" and Carolyn answers that she was up most of the night with Daphne. Harrison asks what's wrong, and Carolyn says "it's too unbelievable to explain." Harrison answers "I'm willing to believe anything after I've had my morning coffee. Shall I bring some in here for you as well?" Carolyn thanks him and says that would be good. As Harrison leaves to go towards the kitchen, Willie and Angelique arrive. Harrison says good morning to them, and asks Angelique what brings her around so early. She answers that she had come along with Willie to "get some things from the east wing that Barnabas needs to restore more of the old house." Harrison makes a remark about how in love with the past Barnabas is, and then leaves to get coffee for everyone. Angelique tells Willie "Now that I've established a reason for you to be here, I want you to keep an eye on him." Willie nervously answers that he doesn't know how Barnabas will feel about it, and Angelique snarls that "Barnabas is not to know. Do you understand? You are to tell me and me only whatever you find out about him." Willie nods, and the two of them join Carolyn in the drawing room.

Everyone is having coffee in the drawing room, and from Harrison's "What an amazing story. Will Daphne be all right?" we know that Carolyn has brought everyone up to date. Carolyn answers that she "hopes so" but that "hearing about Vicky has frightened Daphne." Willie nods agreement, remembering what happened. "Vicky was really nice, y' know?" he says. "I remember how heartbroken Barnabas was when she disappeared..." Angelique gives him a frown and he stops talking. Harrison, though, asks "Barnabas was heartbroken?" and before Angelique can try to control the conversation, Carolyn answers "Yes, he and Vicky were very close. He was very fond of her, I'd even dare say he loved her." She looks at Angelique and says "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say anything to hurt you." Angelique forces a smile and says "It's no matter. Whatever Barnabas felt for her is all in the past." "Literally," Harrison muses. "She returned with Bradford to the year 1795 as far as anyone can tell? It sounds like a romantic ending to me." Carolyn says "It wasn't, Harrison. Not if what we learned later was true." Harrison asks what that would be, and Carolyn answers "Somehow....for some reason, I know that she died in a fall off Widow's Hill....I'm not sure why I know that, but I just do." Harrison asks her how she knows that, and Carolyn says "maybe I don't know anything. It was only a fragment of a dream I had back when I was married to Jeb. It's nothing." Harrison pours her another cup of coffee and says "Perhaps if it was only a fragment of a dream, it cannot be trusted," he says. Carolyn asks what he means, and Harrison answers "Well, if this Vicky could cheat death at the hangman's noose once in 1795 as you told me, why not twice?" Carolyn answers that there's no way to know for sure, and Harrison shrugs and smiles mysteriously.

Angelique gives Willie a look to remind him to shadow Harrison and then says her goodbyes. Harrison remarks to Willie how the story of Vicky seemed to "arouse some jealousy" in Angelique. Willie says "I wouldn't know nothin' about that!" and Harrison answers that he would know about Vicky, though. "I felt it awkward to ask in front of Angelique, but did Barnabas really love her?" Willie answers "What difference does that make now?" and Harrison answers "None, I suppose, I'm just curious." Willie smiles and says "Curious, yeah, you're curious. You're curious about Angelique. Yeah, I see the way you look at her. You think she's pretty, don't ya? Beautiful even?" Harrison sternly answers "I'd have to be blind not to. But I'm actually more curious about Vicky Winters and what happened to her. I'm very interested in strange phenomena." Willie answers "Yeah, well there's no shortage of that around here, lemme tell ya!" and then continues "It was funny about Vicky. She loved the past so much, it's like it became a part of her. And then she just vanished back into it!" Harrison nods and says "She loved the past the way Barnabas does. That's why they were close." Willie looks at Harrison and snottily says "Why don't you just ask Barnabas?" before storming off. Harrison smiles as we hear him think "I won't need to ask Barnabas, Willie. I think I know all I need to know now...."