Thursday, July 23, 2009

Episode 1339

Aired: Thursday August 12, 1971

Nicholas is smugly sitting in his living room sipping a drink when the doorbell rings. It's Angelique, and he invites her in. "So, have you come to tell me anything useful, or is this simply a social call?" he says. She tells him that "I will never be social with you, Nicholas. Everything we do is strictly a business arrangement." He leans in close and tells her "You've become so icy as a human, my dear. You haven't even considered the magnitude of what I have to offer you." She moves away from him and into the living room, where she sits down. "Then enlighten me," she says. Nicholas smiles.

After the titles, Nicholas asks first if she has found out anything about Harrison, and Angelique answers that "he's only a cousin of the family from New York. Why do you find him so intriguing?' Nicholas laughs and says "Ah, my dear, how naive you have become. I can tell when someone is not telling the truth, and Harrison Collins strikes me as a man with much to hide. I want to know why. And then, I want to know more about Barnabas Collins and how he rescued you from the past." Angelique insists that "that was not part of our bargain." Nicholas answers "Perhaps," and then leads Angelique to a mirror on the wall. "Look into this mirror. Look at yourself, Angelique. What do you see?" Angelique demands to know what he is up to, and Nicholas continues "You see a beautiful young woman who Barnabas Collins loves." Angelique smiles and says "Yes. Does that trouble you, Nicholas?" Nicholas answers "No. Does this trouble you?" Nicholas waves his hand over the mirror and Angelique's mirror image begins to age, first slowly, and then rapidly, as Angelique sees herself turn into an old hag. "See that, my dear?" Nicholas barks. "That is what awaits you. The ravages of age will destroy your beauty now that you are human!" Angelique tries to turn away from the mirror, but can't. "Stop it! Stop it!" she yells. "I'm not only offering you power, you little fool, I'm offering you an escape from becoming that!" Nicholas says, pointing at the mirror. "Will Barnabas still love you when you are that?" Angelique finally pulls away from the mirror and begins to cry. Nicholas looks at her and forms an evil smile. The doorbell rings again, and Nicholas is surprised. He walks over to the door, and in walks an angry Barnabas. "Barnabas! This is a surprise!" Nicholas says. Barnabas pushes him into the living room with his walking stick and angrily says "Blair! I want to know what you want with my wife!"

Nicholas steps aside and says he only wants to be friends with Angelique "and let bygones be bygones." Barnabas snaps "I'd be a fool to believe anything you say, Blair." He stands a still weeping Angelique up and asks her "What are you doing here?" She answers "Please don't be angry with me, Barnabas..." and Barnabas turns to Blair and says "What did you do to her? Or should I ask, what did you offer her?" Nicholas gets a little concerned, and Barnabas continues "Yes, offer her." Barnabas begins to walk circles around Nicholas as he continues "I know you too well, Blair. You want to bring Angelique back under your control for revenge, but unless she accepts of her own free will, you have no hold on her." Barnabas takes Angelique by her hand and begins to lead her out. "Don't trust anything he says, Angelique," Barnabas continues, before giving Nicholas a last snarl "Stay away from her, or I swear I will destroy you!" Barnabas and Angelique leave while Nicholas returns to his drink, thinking "No, no, Barnabas. It is I who will prevail this time. I've already sown the seeds of your destruction in your precious wife..."

Back at the old house, Barnabas wants to know what Nicholas offered Angelique. "How did he tempt you?" he says. Angelique is evasive, and only asks Barnabas if he loves her. "We have not seen Jeremiah in some time," Barnabas says. "Nicholas must have gotten a promise from you to send Jeremiah away. I must know what that was." Angelique says "I only did it to protect you, please, you've got to believe me!" Barnabas answers "How can I believe you when you won't tell me the whole truth?" Angelique says she could not, since she feared what Nicholas might do. "But he cannot control you unless he extends his power to you! Don't you remember what those powers did to you? They filled you with hate and jealousy. They led to nothing but destruction!" Angelique quietly says "They kept me beautiful..." Barnabas raises an eyebrow and says "Don't give into vanity, Angelique. You cannot!" Angelique says "I don't want to lose you, Barnabas." Barnabas tells her "You will not lose me unless you become part of Nicholas' evil again." Angelique holds onto Barnabas as he continues "We'll need help to fight him. I know who we need."

Barnabas is waiting in a reception area of sorts when a set of double doors opens and Julia comes out. He is at Windcliff. He asks her how she has been, and she answers fine, and asks him why he has come to see her. He first answers "Can't I simply stop by to be sociable?" She answers she doesn't see why not, and then he continues "Julia, we all miss you so much at Collinwood. I cannot hide my feelings." Julia perks up a bit and says "Your feelings?" but Barnabas continues "Yes, on how much everyone wants you back." Julia says "Oh...well, I do have my responsibilities here." Barnabas continues that "so much has happened" since she left, and starts to tell Julia about Daphne discovering her true identity. Julia gets interested, but then starts studying her charts again. Barnabas then says "A cousin from New York has arrived, a Harrison Collins. There's something strange about the man, however. He seems very secretive, and his attentions towards Angelique make me very uncomfortable." Julia is a little more interested, but then starts to write notes on a patient. "But the most important thing is the return of Nicholas Blair," Barnabas continues. "Nicholas?" Julia perks up. "He was dead! How did he come back?" Barnabas sighs and says that Nicholas' powers have made him "more than human." Julia asks if Nicholas has done anything threatening, and Barnabas answers "It was he who controlled Jeremiah. I think he is trying to bring Angelique under his control again. Julia, please. We need your help." Julia asks what could she do to fight someone like Nicholas, and Barnabas answers that she did it before, and "it seemed before that you were fearless in dealing with such things. Does anything here at Windcliff compare to what you experienced at Collinwood with me?" Julia looks at her charts and around her office, and suddenly a sparkle returns to her eyes as she looks at Barnabas and says "No. I doubt anyone has had experiences such as mine." Barnabas smiles and says "Does that mean you will come back with me?" Julia smiles and says "I suppose it does." They smile at each other.