Friday, July 24, 2009

Episode 1340

Aired: Friday August 13, 1971 (uh oh....bad luck for someone!)

Grayson Hall's voiceover "A new day as dawned at Collinwood, and it will be a day for those who have left the great estate to return. But they will find some changes at the great house, including the presence of a mysterious cousin, who unbeknownst to those around him, commands powers beyond their imagination...."

Harrison comes down the stairs and takes a quick look in the drawing room. He sees it's empty, and then goes through the rear door to the kitchen. We pan over and see that Willie has watched him, and Willie follows him through the door. We cut to Quentin's 1840 lab where Harrison is coming down the stairs. He goes over to the planks left over from Quentin's staircase and places four of them in a square on the floor. He looks around the room a bit and then stands off to one side. Quietly, Willie opens the door and peeks at Harrison from the top of the stairs. Harrison stands before the plank square on the floor and raises his hand with the jeweled ring. "Show me...." he says, closing his eyes in concentration. The same whirring sound from Quentin's staircase is heard as the area above the plank square begins to ripple, and then the air above it turns black. Willie can't believe his eyes as the black fades to a view of the old house.... but the old house looks very new. Harrison sees this and smiles, but Willie is petrified.

After the titles, Barnabas and Julia enter the foyer of Collinwood. Liz comes in from the drawing room and gives Julia a hug. "I do hope you've changed your mind and will come back here," she says. Julia says "If that's okay with you, I would like to. Barnabas gave me a very persuasive argument." Liz says "Of course! I'll have Mrs. Johnson make up your old room," and invites them both into the drawing room. Willie comes out of the kitchen door, nervous and twitchy. He walks by the drawing room and Barnabas calls to him. Julia says hello to Willie and tells her that she's back, but while Willie says "Yeah? That's great, it's good to have ya back..." he's clearly distracted and nervous. Julia asks him if anything is wrong, and he lies "No, no, nothing. Nothing is wrong." Barnabas asks him if he's sure, and Willie says "Nothing! I.....I guess I'm just surprised to see Julia, that's all!" Suddenly from behind him, Harrison calls to Willie "Willie! Just the man I was looking for!" Willie looks at Harrison, terrified.

"Willie, what's wrong? You seem unnerved by something," Harrison continues, but then he sees Julia. "Oh, excuse me. I don't think we've met." Liz introduces Julia to Harrison, and after looking at Barnabas with a "is this him?" expression, Julia says hello. She asks Harrison how he likes Collinwood, and he tells her that he finds it "fascinating." Willie starts to slunk away, but Harrison calls to him "Willie, hold on. I need you for something." Willie nervously says "What?" Harrison says "You take care of the tool shed, am I right?" Willie says yeah, and Harrison says "You don't mind showing me where it is? I need a screwdriver to fix the lock on my trunk." Willie gasps some relief, and says "Oh, sure. It's just outside and around the corner to the right. You can't miss it!" Harrison says thanks, and Willie says "I gotta go, I guess I'll see ya later, Julia...." Barnabas says "Willie, was there something you wanted?" Willie says "No, nothing. I gotta go..." Willie quickly moves out the door, Harrison remarks "A strange man," and Liz tells Harrison "Don't worry about Mr. Loomis. He may act strange, but he's come quite a long way." Julia and Barnabas look at each other, wondering about Willie.

Willie enters the old house and finds Angelique after calling out for her. She asks him what is wrong, and he tells her that Harrison has "some sorta weird powers! I don't know what he did!" Angelique tells Willie to calm down and tell her. Willie recounts what he saw, and Angelique wonders what it could mean. "It's obvious he has powers of some sort," she says. "But what could he be after?" Willie says he doesn't trust Harrison, and "whatever he's after, it can't be any good!" Angelique says that they cannot know that for sure until they learn more about him. Willie says he's afraid to follow Harrison anymore. Angelique tells him that "that is your job." Barnabas and Julia enter the old house, and Willie clams up again. Angelique says "Willie, don't you need to bring more wood in for the fire?" and Willie leaves. Julia says hello to Angelique, and says that she has decided to move back into Collinwood. Angelique forces herself to say "That's wonderful. It will be wonderful to have you back here again." Julia tells Angelique that she knows Angelique isn't thrilled to have her back, but "I came back at Barnabas' request. I want to help you fight Nicholas Blair." Angelique looks at her, and asks how she could be of any help against "such a man," but Julia answers "I understand much of his powers, I must be able to help somehow. I'm willing to help, if you'll let me." Angelique softens a bit and says okay, adding "I know it isn't that easy for you to help me." "To help us," Barnabas says. Julia smiles.

Harrison comes back down the stairs to Quentin's 1840 lab carrying a rope. We hear him think "This rope I found in the tool shed should be strong enough... but what if the vortex window cuts it? I must take that chance. This may be the best way to accomplish what I must do..." He ties the rope securely around the railing of the stairs and gives it a tug to be sure. He loops the rest of it around his waist and ties it tightly. Harrison then adjusts the planks on the floor again, and stands before it raising his jeweled ring and saying "Show me....." as before. As he closes his eyes and concentrates, we see the air wiggle again, and then fade into the black void with the whirring sound. From out of the black, we suddenly see the old house looking new, but then we fade again to see the woods at night. Harrison opens his eyes and says "Show me....Victoria Winters...." Suddenly, we hear footsteps in the woods, running, along with the sounds of several people in pursuit. Then we see her - it's Vicky! (Alexandra Moltke, of course ;-) ) running through the woods in an 18th century dress, terrified. She calls out for Peter, but there is no answer. "They're coming for me! Peter! Help me!" she screams. Harrison watches this closely, and then we see that we are at Widow's Hill, with the waves crashing below. Vicky runs up to the edge, and we hear the sound of howling dogs behind her. "There's nowhere left to run!" a voice shouts at her. "No! No!" she yells back. "Let me go, please!" We see the waves crashing on the rocks below as we pull back to see Harrison checking the strength of the rope again. He starts to walk towards the image of the past. "You will die now, Victoria Winters!" the voice says as Vicky tries to step away from the cliff. She starts to slip and Harrison suddenly steps further into the image of the past. Vicky screams as she falls off the cliff, but suddenly, Harrison steps back, away from the image of the woods and back into Quentin's lab - and he has Vicky in his arms! He raises his ring and says "Return...." and the image fades away leaving just the planks on the floor. Vicky looks at Harrison and says "Who are you? How...how did I get....I don't understand!" and then faints in his arms. Harrison looks at her and says "It's all right, Victoria Winters. You are home now." He smiles confidently.