Monday, August 17, 2009

Episode 1356

Aired: Monday September 6, 1971

In a repeat of Friday's close, Nicholas hides in the laboratory as Harrison tries to wake Daphne from her trance. He begins to snap his fingers in front of her and tells her to wake up, but she ignores him. He tries patting her face gently, but she does not come out of it. Instead, she notices his jeweled ring and begins to stare at it. As he drops his hand, she grabs his hand and lifts it back up, staring at the ring. "This crystal...." she says. "this crystal is the way...." Harrison gets a little nervous and tries to take his hand away, saying "Please Daphne, we need to go upstairs." But Daphne grabs his ring with both hands, turns towards the area where the staircase used to be and says "Show me my Quentin...." Harrison's eyes open wide and he yells "No! Daphne! Stop!" Nicholas grows more curious and watches as the air around the broken planks begins to swirl. "Show me my Quentin...." Daphne repeats as Harrison struggles to pull his hands away, yelling "Daphne, no! You've got to stop thinking of the past! You must stop!" The swirling air starts to open into a void, with a vortex running along the outside. Nicholas watches from behind the bookcase as Harrison struggles with Daphne as we see inside the vortex the image of the drawing room at Collinwood with Victorian furniture. Nicholas can't believe his eyes as 1840s Quentin comes into view, sitting and reading a newspaper....

After the titles, Daphne pleads to go to "my Quentin" as Harrison struggles to get her hands off the ring. She looks into the vortex and sees 1840s Quentin reading a newspaper and screams "Quentin! Quentin!" He looks up from his paper and begins to look around. He cannot see Daphne, but begins to call "Daphne! Is that you? Where are you?" Daphne screams "I am here! Help me!" Quentin cannot find her as he stands and begins to search. Harrison manages to snatch his hands away from Daphne. Daphne begins to walk towards the vortex, and Harrison first shouts "No! You cannot touch it!" but she ignores him. He puts his own hand over the ring and closes his eyes and the vortex begins to fade away. Daphne manages to put her hand inside the center as it closes around her. When it does, it shocks her - her body flashes with electricity! The vortex fades into nothingness. Daphne looks around, disoriented, and collapses. Harrison opens his eyes and runs to her to see if she will be all right. He kneels in front of her and tries to revive her. Nicholas watches all this carefully, and focuses on Harrison's ring as Harrison tries to awaken Daphne. Meanwhile at the old house, Angelique has a mirror that she has put old Quentin's bony hand to as she begins to cast a spell. "You must concentrate along with me, Quentin," she says. "We must not only locate your portrait but we must attempt to break Nicholas' spell from here. There may not be enough time to go to wherever he has hidden it." Old Quentin nods. Angelique begins "I call upon all the powers within me to show me a vision.....I call upon the powers given to me by one who is evil to do evil back to him....show me the image of this man, Quentin Collins...show me the image of him as imprisoned within a portrait hidden by dark forces...." As she begins to say this, the reflection of old Quentin in the mirror begins to fade. "Show me the portrait of Quentin Collins of which we seek..." Angelique adds. Old Quentin's reflection fades, and the portrait of young Quentin comes into view in the mirror. Angelique smiles.

Angelique continues her spell. "This mirror casts its reflections in both ways, according to my command....I command the image of Quentin Collins to be released from its portrait and return to the body of Quentin Collins....and for the portrait to only reveal the truth...." Old Quentin starts to moan as if he is in pain, and Angelique snaps "Keep your hand upon the mirror! You must not move it!" He nods and keeps his hand there, though he continues to groan as Angelique continues "I command the image of Quentin trapped in the portrait to return to Quentin.....now!" The mirror suddenly shatters and old Quentin is knocked to the floor. Angelique is surprised and gasps "Quentin!" She runs to him and rolls him over - and he is young again. Angelique smiles, even revealing that she's a little surprised herself. Quentin is out of breath, but recovering. He looks at his hands, and feels his face a bit. He smiles and says "A face that can break mirrors....but I'm glad to have it back." Angelique smiles and says "We still must get that portrait back from Nicholas before he discovers what has happened." Gaining more strength, Quentin says "I'd rather we find some permanent way of dealing with Nicholas Blair."

Harrison has helped Daphne into the drawing room and is giving her a cup of tea and asking if she is all right. "That was a very dangerous thing to do," he says, but Daphne looks at him and answers "I'm sorry I left my room. But I don't remember anything after that. What happened?" Harrison looks at his ring for a moment, and then back to Daphne, asking "You don't remember anything after leaving your room?" Daphne says "No...I only remember waking up in my room for a moment....and then you bringing me in here." Outside the drawing room, Nicholas is standing off to the side and listening, smiling. Harrison adds "Well, I guess it doesn't matter since you're all right now." Daphne says "I think I'm all right....I still feel kind of strange." Harrison asks "Strange? How?" Daphne says "I don't know....I just feel like....like...as if I'm in a dream." Harrison looks concerned, and says "Perhaps we'd better get you back to your room." At that moment, Nicholas enters the room. "Hello again. I came back to apologize for my behavior earlier. I do hope I didn't seem rude," he says. Harrison answers "Well, it was between Quentin and you. If I see him, I'll pass along your message. If you'll excuse me, I need to help Daphne back to her room." As Harrison and Daphne pass Nicholas, Nicholas says "Do you need any help from me?" Harrison says "No, thank you. You've probably already done enough for her" with a sneer. Nicholas adds "That's quite a handsome ring you have on, Mr. Collins. I've never noticed it before." Harrison gets a little nervous and answers "Oh yes, it's a family heirloom of sorts. Excuse me, Daphne needs to get some rest." Nicholas answers "Oh yes, by all means. But please come down here afterwards and join me in a drink. I'd love to hear more about Collins family heirlooms." Harrison doesn't look thrilled with Nicholas' curiosity.

Angelique calls for Willie. He comes downstairs and asks her what she needs. "You and I need to perform a small task, Willie," she says. Willie gets nervous and says "I don't like the way you said that! I don't wanna do anything dangerous!" Angelique tells him there won't be any danger as long as "you stay with me and do as you are told." Willie asks what the task is, and Angelique answers "We need to go to Nicholas Blair's house. Into his basement. When I saw the vision of Quentin's portrait in the mirror, I recognized the surroundings," she says. Willie gets very nervous, and says he doesn't want anything to do with Blair since "Blair's got some weird powers. I don't wanna mess with him!" Angelique says "I have some powers of my own, Willie. I'll protect you." Willie says he's heard that before. Angelique gets angry and tells him to get his coat. "This won't take long, and we don't have to worry about Nicholas finding us. Quentin will keep him occupied." Willie grumbles, but takes his coat. We cut to Quentin entering Collinwood. He walks into the drawing room and finds Nicholas having a drink, his back turned. "I see you're quite adept at making yourself at home around here, Blair," Quentin snaps. Nicholas turns around and is shocked to see Quentin youthful again. "How did you...." Nicholas begins to say. Quentin cuts him off with "Perhaps your powers are fading, Blair. Perhaps your masters are already growing tired of your continuing failures in this world." Nicholas tells him "That's enough. I didn't intend for you to stay that way anyway. It was only a warning." Quentin moves in front of him and sneers "I have a warning for you, Blair. You stay away from me and out of my affairs or I'll find a way to send you back into the hellfire from which you came." Nicholas snickers and raises his glass. "I shall drink to you if you can accomplish that." Harrison enters the drawing room, and Nicholas sees him and adds "Ah, and then let me drink to the newest arrival of the Collins family. A gallant and courtly gentleman within our midst, I salute you sir!" Harrison looks at Quentin and says "Quentin, I need to talk to you about Daphne." Quentin answers "Daphne? What's wrong?", and then looks at Nicholas and angrily says "Or perhaps I should ask you." Harrison stands aside Quentin and adds "Perhaps both of us should, Mr. Blair." Nicholas smiles defiantly.