Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Episode 1357

Aired: Tuesday September 7, 1971

After a replay of Monday's close, Nicholas answers that he has no idea what they are talking about. Quentin asks Harrison what's wrong with Daphne, and after taking a look at the curious Nicholas, Harrison tells Quentin "She's upstairs in her room. Why don't you go see to her and we can talk about it later." Nicholas says "Oh, don't let me stop you from telling Quentin anything. You can trust me." Quentin snaps "Obviously, Harrison knows you better than you think." Harrison smiles at Quentin and says to Nicholas "I trust Quentin as a judge of character. Perhaps you'd better go before this situation gets any uglier." Nicholas nods and puts his hat on, saying "You're new here, Mr. Harrison. Perhaps you should contemplate what sort of man I am." Harrison leads Nicholas towards the front door and answers "Perhaps you should contemplate the reverse." Nicholas scowls, but leaves. Meanwhile in Nicholas' basement, Angelique and Willie walk around a corner and come to some metal doors. Angelique tells Willie that "it should be in here." Willie is nervous and is convinced Nicholas will return soon. Angelique answers "Then we need to hurry." Willie opens the metal door and they go inside the room. On an easel is the portrait of Quentin, now showing an aged and decaying old man. Willie is repulsed by the sight of it, but takes it off its easel.

At the old house, Barnabas arrives and calls for Willie and Angelique. When there is no answer, he enters the living room. A moment later, there is a knock at the door, and its Vicky. Barnabas invites her in, and she tells him that she was waiting for him to return to the old house. Barnabas asks "What is so urgent?" Vicky starts to tell him how she had always wondered about her family and "often felt so alone in the world. Until I came here and got close to everyone, it was like I was detached from so many things." Barnabas answers "We're all so happy that you are back. I hope you would do us the honor of thinking of us as a second family of sorts." Vicky begins to laugh a little, and Barnabas asks why. Elated, she tells him "That's just it! You're no longer a second family, but a first!" Barnabas is confused for a moment, and Vicky continues "Elizabeth told me the truth. She told me who I am, who I really am! Barnabas, I am her daughter." Barnabas is shocked, and can only say "Her daughter? How...." Vicky interrupts "It's a long story, but it's true. I am her daughter....and Alan's as well." Barnabas thinks a moment, saying "Dr. Slater...yes...somehow, it all makes sense. I know it's so hard to believe, but somehow it all makes sense..." Vicky looks at Barnabas and says "I hope we can stay close, Barnabas. I know it's rather awkward to think of the past knowing that we are related but...." Barnabas cuts her off with "We simply do not have to speak of it sadly, Vicky. We shall always be....the closest of friends." Barnabas offers her a sherry as a "welcome" to the Collins family, and Vicky adds "Your reaction tells me that you really have found happiness with Angelique." Barnabas hands her the glass and says "Yes. I have." Vicky sighs, and says "Barnabas, you don't know....you don't know what she is capable of....when I was in the past, I saw what she did to your ancestor...I know it's her!" Barnabas tells her to sit down, and then kneels before her. "Vicky," he says, "you are my family, and also my friend. I know I can trust you." Vicky nods. Barnabas continues "Then I can tell you that Angelique no longer possesses the power to harm anyone. The power that once corrupted her soul and twisted her heart into doing those terrible things you know all too well. I know them too. I have found it in myself to forgive her, to see her only as she is now. Can you understand that?" Vicky answers "Barnabas, you weren't there to see what she...." Barnabas cuts her off with "Yes, I was." Vicky says (surprise!) "I don't understand!" Barnabas answers "Just as the Angelique who is here with us now is the same as the Angelique you knew in the past, I am the same Barnabas Collins." Vicky's eyes open wide.

Vicky stammers "How...could that be?" Barnabas answers "You remember my sudden illness in the past, and how many thought I had died?" Vicky answers yes, and Barnabas continues "Angelique used her powers to return me to life....but not a life I preferred, no, a life of.... immortality, where she would constantly follow me until I would be hers. I.... left Collinwood for a long while, only to return when I did thinking I'd be free of her." Vicky continues "But you weren't... she returned as Cassandra...." Barnabas nods "Yes. But after you went into the past that second time, a number of things happened. I discovered Angelique's darkness came from the influence of a man of pure evil named Judah Zachary. Once she was purged of him, she changed. Only her love for me remained. She and I became mortal, and.....our mutual anger simply made no sense. The feelings I had buried for so long underneath the anger were freed....I hope you can understand now." Vicky answers "That story is so fantastic....so unbelievable..." Barnabas says "Believe it, please, for it is the truth." Vicky says she believes him. Barnabas adds "But it is a truth that is not for everyone. I must swear your confidence for both my sake and for hers." Vicky smiles and takes Barnabas' hands, and says she swears she will keep his secret. "I know you will," Barnabas says. Vicky smiles. At Collinwood, Harrison answers a knock at the front door. When he sees it's Angelique, he's pleased to see her and invites her in. She says she's come to see Quentin. Harrison remarks "He's upstairs with Daphne. Is there anything I can do for you? Please, say yes." Angelique smiles and says "You never give up, do you Harrison Collins?" Harrison smiles and answers "No, I suppose I never know when to quit." Angelique answers "Well, I need to get back home before Barnabas arrives. Please tell Quentin that....I have what he asked for." Harrison, curious, says "Is that all?" Angelique says "Yes, that is all. Good afternoon." Angelique leaves while Harrison wonders what she meant, but then Quentin comes downstairs. "Angelique was just here to see you," Harrison tells him. Quentin says "Oh?" and then Harrison relays Angelique's message. Quentin smiles, and says "Good.... that's one less thing for me to worry about." Quentin looks at Harrison and adds "And I should thank you for standing up to Blair. But I should warn you that he can be very dangerous." Harrison says "I believe that. How is Daphne doing?" Quentin says "I'm not sure...she seems all right, but she keeps talking about feeling as if she is in a dream. I'm not sure what that means." Harrison sighs, and says "I think I do, Quentin. And I don't think you're going to like it." Quentin raises an eyebrow.

At the old house, Barnabas and Vicky are having their sherry when Angelique arrives. Willie starts to follow her in carrying the portrait, but when Angelique sees Vicky, she quickly tells Willie to "go to the basement the back way. Please don't track dirt through here." Willie protests for a moment until he sees Vicky, and then carries the portrait away. "Well Vicky," Angelique says. "I'm happy to see you here. Quentin told me the news about you. I suppose congratulations are in order." Vicky seems embarrassed to talk to Angelique, who asks her what's wrong. Barnabas says "Vicky and I were just talking...she may be feeling a little overwhelmed right now." Angelique asks why suspiciously, but Barnabas kisses her and tells her "everything will be all right. What did you need Willie for?" Angelique answers "We needed to help Quentin with something. That's all." Angelique turns to Vicky and says "Vicky, are you all right? I would have thought you'd be happy to tell your good news to Barnabas...or should I say, your cousin Barnabas?" Vicky turns to look at Angelique and says "Barnabas told me everything. He told me how you've changed, how you're not the same as I remember. I want to believe him, I really do. I'm willing to try." Angelique looks at Barnabas and says in disbelief "You told her....everything?" Barnabas nods, and says "All I told her is who we really are, and how we have started over. I trust Vicky, and I want you to trust her too." Angelique is agape, but Vicky tells her "You can trust me. If Barnabas can feel about you the way he does, then I would feel very small in not being able to try...." Vicky holds her hand out for Angelique, who tears up a bit, but then takes Vicky's hand tightly and says "I will try as well...perhaps we, too, can start over. I will prove to you that I have changed." Vicky looks at Barnabas a moment, and then back to Angelique, adding "I'm sure you have." Meanwhile, Nicholas arrives home looking cocky, but then he sees the door to the basement is cracked open. Growing concerned, he goes downstairs. In the basement, Nicholas marches straight to the metal door to the side room, and after entering, sees the empty easel where Quentin's portrait once was. He angrily sighs and then growls to himself "Angelique!"