Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Episode 1358

Aired: Wednesday September 8, 1971

Alexandra Moltke's voiceover: "My name is Victoria Winters. When I first arrived at Collinwood more than five years ago, I had no sense of my own identity, nor did I understand many of the dark secrets of the Collins family. Those times have changed, for I now know my true lineage as a Collins myself, and one of my closest friends within that family has entrusted me with the most precious secret of his own true identity. But there remain many secrets at the great house, one of which is the enigma of a newly arrived cousin, whose powers are unknown to most around him. On this night, some of his precious secrets will be revealed as well...."

Harrison is pouring a drink in the drawing room as Quentin paces. "Stokes warned me this might happen..." Quentin says. Harrison asks Quentin how familiar Stokes is with "such matters." Quentin answers that "Stokes said he had no idea how Daphne may have been brought here from another time, if at all. He only thought that there may be unbreakable links to the past that might take her back there." Harrison says "Why would Nicholas Blair be interested in sending Daphne back to the past? It makes no sense." Quentin takes a drink and answers with a sneer "Knowing Blair, it would be just for spite. No...it must be something more. That's why I called Professor Stokes and told him to come over here as soon as he could." Harrison thinks a moment as Daphne enters the room. She seems a bit woozy. Quentin tells her she should still be in bed, but she shakes her head and tells him "I think it's happening....I think it's happening now...." Quentin snaps "What's happening?" She holds out her hands, and we see the same electric flashes we saw when she touched the vortex. "The dream is ending, Quentin....the dream is ending...." she says. Harrison and Quentin look at her.

After the opening titles, Daphne's body continues to flash with the glow of electricity as Quentin yells "What is happening?" Daphne looks at Quentin and smiles. "Don't worry....I am returning to you, my love..." Quentin answers "Returning to me?" as he rushes to hold her. "I'm right here." There is a pounding at the front door which Harrison runs to answer. It's Stokes, who sees Daphne flash with electricity. "It seems I may have arrived too late!" Stokes says. Daphne pulls away from him and says "I am returning to you, my Quentin....my love...." Quentin tries to go to her again as her body continues flashing with what looks like lightning, but Harrison says "No! You mustn't touch her when the power flashes in her!" Quentin snaps "But she is calling to me!" Harrison answers "No...she is calling to her Quentin...the Quentin of her own time." Quentin looks at Harrison and realizes this when he looks back at Daphne and says "Don't leave me...you must want to stay...." Daphne looks at Quentin and says "I must return to my love....I only wanted to say that I love you as well....perhaps some other way, we can find each other...." Daphne begins to fade with each successive flash as Quentin tries to hold her again, yelling "No! Stay here with me!" Harrison grabs Quentin to stop him, saying "No Quentin! You can't! If you touch her when she fades into the past you might kill her!" Stokes looks at Harrison and asks "How do you know that?" Quentin angrily says "Well, how do you know that?" to Harrison, but before he can answer, Daphne gives Quentin a last smile and fades away. Quentin is heartbroken. "She's gone....she's really gone...." Harrison says he's sorry, but Quentin looks at him and says "How did you know so much about what was happening?" Harrison can't answer, but Quentin grabs him by the collar and says "I think it's time for some answers!"

Quentin is angrily holding Harrison by the collar demanding to know how he knew so much about what was happening to Daphne. Stokes insists Quentin let Harrison go, but admits "I too, am curious as to an explanation as to what just happened here." Harrison begins "You forget my ancestor in this family dabbled in studies of time travel. I've read every journal of his that was left to me. If Daphne was indeed the Daphne I read about in those journals, it was inevitable that she would return to her time." Quentin answers "How can you be sure of that?" Harrison turns away as he answers "Our ancestor Quentin's theory was that no one could exist in two times simultaneously. But he theorized that time flows, like a river. There are junctions between streams, where the astral planes can cross. These are the possible doorways. No one can enter two different doors at once." Stokes nods, and says he understands. Quentin asks him to explain. Stokes answers "If our friend Harrison is correct, different times intersect at different moments. There may be another intersection where Daphne could return to us. Perhaps tomorrow, next week or...perhaps never." Quentin says "So what you're telling me is that I've lost her. I've lost her forever." Harrison puts his hand on Quentin's shoulder and answers "Forever is nor as long as you may think. Like the Professor has said, there may be another doorway in the future." Quentin thinks a moment and says "Daphne said she might return to me...." Harrison says "She may well yet." Stokes apologizes for not being able to help, but Quentin answers that there's probably nothing he could have done anyway. Stokes apologizes again, but says he must be going "since I have an appointment at the university. I will call upon you again. I'd like to discuss this much more with you, Harrison. You seem to be very well versed in these matters." Stokes leaves, and Harrison hands Quentin a drink. "I'm sorry," he says. "I know how it feels to lose someone important to me, for whatever that's worth." Quentin takes the drink and thinks a moment. He looks at Harrison rather knowingly, which gets a confused look in response. "Can you bring her back?" Quentin abruptly asks. "How could I possibly do that?" Harrison answers. Quentin forms a half-smile and answers "Perhaps the same way you brought Victoria Winters here." Harrison is stunned as Quentin swirls his drink and continues "You see, dear cousin, I still want some answers."

"How can you even suggest that I was responsible for Miss Winters' return?" Harrison says innocently. Quentin begins to walk around him while saying "You seem to always be very close by when beautiful women are lost or found through the mists of time. You, who seems quite expert in the theories put forth by our illustrious ancestor." Quentin gulps the rest of his drink and looks Harrison straight in the eye. "And it's more than obvious how you look at Angelique. I can understand how a man in your position might try anything to draw Barnabas away from her. Well? Am I right?" Harrison laughs a little, and says to Quentin "It seems I can't keep anything from you, can I?" Quentin is a little surprised at this reaction, but Harrison continues "Miss Winters returned to this time, her own time, at the moment of her death in the past. It was at the moment when the streams of the river connected. Miss Winters belongs here, in this time, her time. Daphne too, had to return to her own time. If she was prevented from doing so once the transformation began, she would have been torn between the different worlds and she would have died. That's why I had to stop you." Quentin replies "So, you still deny bringing Vicky back here?" Harrison sighs, and answers "When Miss Winters left the past and returned here, it changed nothing in the past. For all anyone knows back in that time, she fell to her death off Widows' Hill and her body was swept away by the waves. Nothing changed then, which means that nothing changes now for us. If we remove Daphne from her proper place within the flow of time, there's no telling what affects it may have on the current reality. Quentin please, trust me. You will get through this loss, you must." Quentin answers "Can I trust you, Harrison?" Harrison looks at Quentin and answers "Yes. Never forget that." Quentin looks at Harrison curiously as we fade to Vicky standing at the fountain. She paces for a moment, and then Julia arrives. "Why did you want to meet me here?" Julia asks. Vicky explains that she didn't want anyone to hear their conversation, and Julia asks why. "Have you seen Barnabas today?" Vicky asks. Julia says no, she's been in town. Vicky tells Julia "Barnabas and I had a talk today. A very interesting and important talk that you should know about." Julia says "Oh?" and Vicky continues "He told me the truth. About who he is, who he really is, and the truth about Angelique." Julia is shocked, and can only ask "Did....did he tell you everything?" Vicky answers "He told me how Angelique had made him immortal through a spell, so that she could eventually have him. He told me they are both mortal now, and he has forgiven her. He also told me who else knows the truth." Julia breathes a sigh of relief that all that nasty vampire business was left out and says "Yes...it's hard to believe he and Angelique are together." Vicky looks at Julia and says "I agree. I find it hard to believe. That's why I wanted to talk to you, Julia. I need to know if I can trust Angelique." Julia wonders what to say.