Monday, August 24, 2009

Episode 1361

Aired: Monday September 13, 1971

In a repeat of Friday's close, Vicky smiles at Barnabas' portrait. Suddenly from behind her, she hears "Hello!" When she turns around, she sees Sarah standing in the foyer, smiling at her. "Sarah!" she says. "Sarah! You've come back!" Sarah looks at Vicky, smiling, and says "Now you know!" Vicky says "What? I don't understand!" Sarah says "Now you know the story! Just like I wanted to show you!" Vicky thinks a moment and nods, answering "Yes. Now I know the story," as she glances over her shoulder at Barnabas' portrait as Sarah continues smiling at her.

After the titles, Vicky asks Sarah "Why did you want to show me? Why me?" Sarah says "Because you were supposed to know. But I didn't want those bad things to happen to you. That was wrong." Vicky tells Sarah that she's all right now, but Sarah answers "Yes, I know. I'm glad you are, but that wasn't supposed to happen either." Vicky says "I don't understand" as Sarah walks into the drawing room. Vicky follows her in, and finds her looking at the portrait of Joshua Collins. "My father looks very handsome in this painting, don't you think?" Sarah says. Vicky asks her what she meant "when you said I really shouldn't be all right now." Sarah doesn't turn from the portrait and only says "I don't know why he did it, but I'm glad he did." Vicky asks who, and we cut to Harrison coming down the stairs. He overhears Vicky talking, but his eyebrows raise when he hears Sarah's voice. He carefully moves near the door and begins eavesdropping. Vicky continues "Who are you talking about, Sarah?' Sarah turns from the portrait and says "It doesn't matter, you're all right now. And you know everything." Vicky kneels in front of her and says "Everything about Barnabas, you mean?" Sarah looks sad, but nods. Vicky says "Sarah, don't be sad about Barnabas. He's all right now, he's...." Sarah suddenly looks behind Vicky, and when Vicky turns, she sees Harrison standing at the door. "Oh, Harrison, you startled me." Vicky turns back towards Sarah, but she is gone. "Sarah!" Vicky says in exasperation, but then looks at Harrison, who looks at Vicky and says "Sarah. Where did she go?" Vicky is too nervous to answer.

Harrison enters the drawing room and pours himself a drink. "Yes, I've seen her too," he says and offers Vicky a nightcap. She refuses, and asks Harrison when he saw her. "One day, in the woods," he answers. "I saw a little girl, strangely dressed. She told me her name was Sarah. I turned around when I heard a noise or something, and she simply vanished." Vicky remarks how strange that is. "Indeed," Harrison continues. "how much do you know about her?" Vicky answers "not much" but Harrison sits and smiles. "I'm sorry I frightened her away. I'd like to talk to her more. Have you seen her other times?" Vicky tries to lie and says she's only seen Sarah a few times before. Harrison nods, and says "Well, I'm surprised at your reaction, Miss Winters. Most people would not have such a casual conversation about seeing a ghost." Vicky answers that "I've been at Collinwood too long to let the sight of something odd knock me off balance." Harrison tells her "When I first saw her, I became interested in why the ghost of a little girl would be here at Collinwood now. I read through the family histories and found that there was a Sarah Collins who lived in the late 1700s, who died at the age of ten from a fever of some sort." He gulps the last of his drink as he adds "I'd bet anything that's who she is. What I'd like to know is why she's here." Vicky says "Perhaps no reason." Harrison smiles and answers "I think you know more about her than you're letting on." Vicky gets a little snooty and answers "I think you're somewhat too inquisitive." Harrison says "Perhaps. Perhaps you have your own reasons for keeping secrets about the ghost of little Sarah Collins. But before I entered this room, I heard you ask her why she is afraid of Barnabas. I'd like to know why you asked her that." Vicky wonders what to say.

"I don't see why you need to be so curious. Good night, Harrison," Vicky says as she tries to leave the drawing room. But Harrison stands and stops her, adding "Please, Miss Winters. I don't mean to seem rude. I admit I am a curious person, but when I saw Sarah in the woods, she seemed genuinely frightened. I need any clue as to why. I want to help her." Vicky answers "How can you help her?" Harrison answers "I don't know. But maybe you can help me. Why would a ghost be afraid of Barnabas Collins?" Vicky thinks a moment, and then gets an inspiration. "You said you read the family history. I've read it too. In fact, I read it for the same reason when I first saw her. Didn't you read that Sarah Collins was the sister of Barnabas' ancestor here?" Harrison says yes. Vicky continues "Then it's obvious, don't you think? Barnabas looks just like his ancestor's portrait out in the foyer. Perhaps that's why she's frightened of him." Harrison thinks a moment and says "Why would she be frightened of someone who looks like her brother?" Vicky answers "Harrison, I've worked with children long enough to understand a child's mind. She might be scared of Barnabas if she wonders why he doesn't act like her brother or know who she is." Harrison asks "Then has Barnabas seen her too?" Vicky answers "I don't know. But I think it's a logical explanation." Harrison pours another drink and muses "As logical as one can be when dealing with the supernatural, I suppose. " Vicky tells Harrison goodnight as Harrison adds " I wonder....I wonder if having a child's mind throughout eternity is a blessing or a curse. Goodnight, Miss Winters." Vicky goes upstairs as Harrison drinks and thinks.

Willie sneaks into Harrison's darkened bedroom. He closes the door behind him and begins to look through the dresser drawers. He stops when he hears footsteps approaching, and then hides behind a curtain. Harrison enters the room and turns on the light. As he turns around, Willie spots the ring on his finger. Harrison takes off a wristwatch and his cufflinks and puts them on the dresser, but to Willie's frustration, he does not take off his ring. Willie hides behind the curtain as we cut to a shot of the moon rising. When we cut back, Harrison is asleep in bed, his ringed hand laying on the blanket. Willie carefully moves towards him and waves his hand around a little to see if he'll wake up. "There's just no way to do this..." Willie thinks to himself. "But I gotta...I gotta try! Blair'll kill me if I don't....or worse!" Willie looks at the ring on Harrison's hand, and takes a bottle of chloroform out of his pocket. He soaks a handkerchief with it and covers Harrison's sleeping face with it for a few seconds. Harrison's hand drops off the blanket, and Willie figures it must be safe. Willie smiles and starts to slide the ring off Harrison's finger. It sticks a bit, and Willie struggles with it. Suddenly, Harrison wakes up and grabs Willie by the throat with his free hand. Willie, in disbelief, gasps for air as Harrison tightens his grip with a smile. "Good evening, Willie," Harrison says. "I see you're still very interested in me."