Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Episode 1362

Aired: Tuesday September 14, 1971

After a replay of Monday's close and the titles, Harrison gets out of bed and slams Willie up against the wall. "So, you want my ring, do you Loomis? Is it really you who wants my ring, or someone else?" Willie chokes a bit, and Harrison loosens up. "I don't know what you mean," Willie says. Harrison answers "Don't you? I think you'd better start talking if you want to keep the police out of this." Willie gets scared. "P...pp...Police?" Harrison sneers "Y...yyy...yes, Willie. Now tell me who sent you here." Willie snaps "How can you be awake? I put the chloroform over your mouth while you slept!" Harrison shakes his head and answers "I saw you behind the curtain long before I went to bed. I pretended to be asleep and held my breath when you tried to chloroform me, you idiot! Now tell me why Barnabas wants my ring before we involve the police!" Willie is confused and answers "Barnabas? Barnabas doesn't want your ring." Harrison answers "Don't talk to me like I'm as stupid as you, Loomis. You work for Barnabas. Who else would have sent you here?" Willie answers "I told ya, no one sent me here. Really!" Harrison drops Willie to his feet and snarls "I can see I won't get any answers from you." Willie runs in front of him and pleads "Please, don't call the cops. I'm sorry. I can't help it....I love jewelry. I always want to take it..... you can ask Barnabas! You can even ask Mrs. Stoddard! Yeah! When I first came here, I got caught stealin' some jewels! I thought I was cured....I guess I'm not. I saw that jewel in your ring, and I couldn't help myself! I'm sorry, I'm so sorry....I need help! That's it! I need help!" Harrison shakes his head and says "You're not worth the police, Loomis. Get out of here." Willie smiles and says "Honest? You won't call the cops?" Harrison says "No, get out of here before I change my mind." Willie apologizes and says he'll never bother him again. Harrison grabs Willie's arm before he leaves and holds up his hand with the ring. "I know you won't, Willie. You just tell Barnabas that this ring never leaves my hand." Willie says "Barnabas? Why should I tell Barnabas that?" Harrison pushes Willie out his door with a snarl. Willie stands outside as the door closes and locks and wonders why Harrison suspects Barnabas.

The next morning, Vicky is standing by the fountain when Barnabas comes down from the patio. He thanks her for inviting him to breakfast, and Vicky tells him that it's because she needs "to tell him something very important." "Oh?" he says, and when Vicky tells him "I saw Sarah last night," he gasps. "Where?" he asks, adding "What did she say?" Vicky says "She didn't say anything about you, Barnabas. And when I asked her, well...she...." Barnabas asks "She what? Please, tell me." Vicky sadly looks at Barnabas and says "She seemed afraid of you, Barnabas. Why would she be afraid to talk to you?" Barnabas turns away from Vicky and says "I don't know. Perhaps she's confused by me being here now." Vicky says "Yes, that's what I thought. That's what I told Harrison, at least." Barnabas turns to her, curious now. "Harrison?" he asks with a frown. Vicky tells Barnabas how Harrison had appeared, scaring Sarah away, and then asking a lot of questions. "Harrison's curiosity about me seems insatiable," Barnabas remarks. "But he has seen her too. Why would she appear to him and not me?" Vicky says "I'm sorry, Barnabas. I know how much you care for her." Barnabas says "I loved her more than anyone in my family, Vicky. When she died, it was like a part of me died with her." He turns back to Vicky and asks "What else did she say to you? Perhaps there's some clue I can use to find her." Vicky says "It was strange. She told me she was glad I was all right, though she said I wasn't supposed to be." Barnabas says "That does sound strange." Vicky shakes her head and says "No, I think I know what she meant. I started to remember what happened to me in the past before I found myself in the woods. For some reason, I remembered falling....like in a dream. Those awful nightmares one has when you fall and fall and never stop. What if it wasn't a dream. Barnabas? What if I really did fall off Widow's Hill in the past?" Barnabas answers "That's nonsense. If you did, how could you be here now?" Vicky answers "That's just the point. What if I died in the past, or was supposed to have died, but instead found my way back here? It happened once before when I was sent to the gallows, Barnabas. Maybe that's what Sarah meant by telling me I wasn't supposed to be here."

Harrison is reading a newspaper in the drawing room. He peruses some stories and chuckles to himself a little when Willie comes in. Harrison sees him and scowls. "Loomis! You've certainly got a lot of nerve coming back here after I threw you out of here last night." Willie nods and says he knows. "Then why have you returned?" Harrison asks. Willie answers "I thought maybe I could make it up to ya, you know? Maybe there's some kinda favor I could do for you?" Harrison returns to his newspaper and answers "I don't want anything stolen, Willie. You may go now." Willie answers "I'm not gonna steal nothin' no more! I just couldn't help myself last night, I told ya that! I can help you with somethin' else maybe!" Harrison looks at Willie cynically and says "What could you possibly help me with? You don't even know what I want." Willie laughs a little and answers "I know one thing you want! It's pretty obvious!" Harrison asks "What?" and Willie answers "You want Angelique!" Harrison looks concerned now as Willie continues "Yeah, I see it. Barnabas sure sees it. She's really beautiful, that Angelique. I can see why you wanna get to know her, you know?" Harrison looks at Willie and says "She's Barnabas' wife. Would you betray your employer so soon to garner favor with me?" Willie answers "No, no, I didn't mean it that way, I only thought maybe I could, well, talk about you in front of her. Maybe tell her about you if I knew more about you, you know, to help you out." Harrison puts his newspaper down and stands to face Willie. "It seems your curiosity for me is insatiable, Willie. Get out of here." Willie is surprised, but Harrison repeats "I said get out of my sight!" as he pushes Willie out of the drawing room. He shuts the door and angrily walks to the window. He looks outside and hmphs as he sees Barnabas chatting with Vicky. We cut to Vicky and Barnabas at the fountain. Vicky says "If only there was a way of finding out what Sarah meant." Barnabas says "I suppose there is a chance she will appear to you again, if her business with you was left unfinished. But there's only one way we can be sure to contact her." Vicky asks "What is that?" Barnabas looks at her and answers "A seance. Perhaps we should conduct a seance to try to contact her." Vicky gets scared and says "No, no, Barnabas. The last time we did that, I vanished into the past. I don't want to risk that again, not now, not when I've only just now started to feel safe again." Barnabas looks disappointed, and Vicky suggests "Perhaps you could hold the seance without me, and you could try to contact her." Barnabas sadly answers "I doubt she would answer me. If she hasn't appeared to me, it has been by her choice." Vicky thinks a moment and says "Perhaps there's another way of finding out some answers, Barnabas." Barnabas asks "What could that be?" Vicky thinks a little more (it must be hurting her by now) and says "We could hold a seance and try to contact someone else...someone I know who would want me safe." Barnabas wonders what she means.

Willie is walking through the woods when a hand grabs his shoulder. It's Nicholas, who asks "Well? Were you successful?" Willie throws Nicholas' hand off and says "No. He's too smart for you, that Harrison! He knows every move I make. He even saw through your plan to be his friend and all that! You ain't never gonna get that ring offa him, unless you kill him! I wouldn't be surprised if you tried that, Blair! Why don't you just leave me alone already?" Nicholas laughs a little and says "Ah Willie, one can always depend on you to be an idiot. There will always be a way to steal something from someone else." Willie answers "He never takes that ring off. He knows someone is after it, even though he thinks it's Barnabas." "Barnabas?" Nicholas says. Willie says "Yeah. See? There's some things I know that you don't! Harrison and Barnabas, they really hate each other. I bet you don't know that. I bet you don't even know why!" Nicholas looks at Willie and says "Angelique, perhaps?" Willie goes into a slow burn and then is exasperated. "Why won't you just leave me alone!" he shouts. "What do you want that ring for anyway?" Nicholas answers "It's a tool for getting something I want. Something very old and truly unique. That is all. If you fail to get the ring for me, I shall be forced to find other means to get what I want." Willie laughs a little and says "Yeah? Like that I Ching stuff I gave ya? You didn't seem to do so well with that! " Nicholas starts thinking as Willie continues to try to berate him, and then forms a sly smile. Willie asks him what he's smiling about when so far everything he's tried has failed, but all Nicholas says is "Willie, you've given me some inspiration. I think I know where I've made my mistake." Willie doesn't like the sound of this.