Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Episode 1363

Aired: Wednesday September 15, 1971

Alexandra Moltke's voiceover: "My name is Victoria Winters. Many mysteries have been thrust into my life, some of which have revealed the dark hidden secrets of the past while others have only obscured other truths. On this night, I have gathered several of my closest friends to help me unravel one of the biggest mysteries of all....what happened to me in the past and why...."

Vicky answers the door at Collinwood and lets in Sebastian. He hangs up his raincoat and shakes off the thunderstorm raging outside. "Why did you insist on dragging me out of my warm house on such a night?" he says. Vicky apologies, and adds "We couldn't seem to find Professor Stokes, and Barnabas recommended you as the next best thing." Sebastian smiles and says "Well, I suppose I should be flattered, although I don't know what I'm the next best thing for." Vicky looks at him and answers "For a seance. I need to contact someone I knew long, long ago." Sebastian raises an eyebrow.

After the titles, Vicky leads Sebastian into the drawing room where Carolyn and Barnabas are waiting. Sebastian asks who they are trying to contact, and Vicky says "A man named Peter Bradford." When Sebastian asks how long ago he died and Vicky answers "almost two hundred years ago" Sebastian looks at her, puzzled, and asks "And you knew him?" Vicky answers "We've both drifted through time. I returned here, alive. I think that he may know the reasons why and how." Carolyn tells Sebastian she'll explain all about Vicky's past later, and that they should start the seance "before Uncle Roger gets back from town. He doesn't have an affinity for such activities." They arrange the chairs and Vicky takes Barnabas' hand. "Vicky, you're trembling," he says. "Please don't be afraid. We won't let you go." Vicky nods and says she believes him, just that the seance brought back some "bad feelings." Sebastian puts the lights out and lights a candle and the four join hands. Sebastian begins to call upon the spirit of Peter Bradford, and for the spirit to "come forth and appear to us." The candles blow out and the windows of the drawing room blow open. Sebastian continues to call for Peter Bradford, but suddenly he starts to groan. Carolyn shouts over the howling wind "Sebastian! What is it? Barnabas shouts "He is in a trance! Do not break the circle!" Sebastian closes his eyes and moans some more, and then asks "Who has called me?" Barnabas looks at Vicky, who is too scared to say anything, and then says "We have called you. Who are you? Tell us!" Sebastian says "I.....am Peter Bradford!" Vicky says "Peter! Peter! It's me, Vicky!" Sebastian answers "Vicky! Vicky....how I've longed for you...." which makes Barnabas a bit uncomfortable. But Sebastian continues "Vicky....where are you? I cannot see you...." Vicky answers "I am at Collinwood, Peter. I am at Collinwood in the year 1971!" Sebastian answers "You have returned to your own time? Then they did not succeed...." Barnabas interrupts "Who? Who did not succeed?" Sebastian continues "They who would destroy the Collins family......they must not succeed......" Carolyn asks "Who are they, Peter? Who wants to destroy the Collins family?" Vicky asks "Did they try to destroy me in the past?" Barnabas cautions them on not asking too many questions at once as Sebastian groans again, but then starts to say "They tried to take you from me, Vicky....but I will find my way back to you again, I swear...." Vicky tears up a bit and says "Peter, I am safe now....don't endanger yourself for me." Sebastian answers "You are still in danger. The Collins family is still in danger. The threat is not over. Even now, they plot to destroy you...." Vicky asks "Who? Tell us the name, Peter!" Sebastian starts to say "The enemy of the Collins family....the enemy since the beginning of the family itself....." Carolyn asks "The beginning? What do you mean?" But suddenly, there is a flash of lightning and Vicky screams as the room goes black. We hear Barnabas yell "Vicky!"

Carolyn is turning on the lights and Vicky is out of breath. Sebastian is groaning, still. Barnabas asks Vicky if she is all right, and she says she is fine. "Why did you scream?" Carolyn asks. Vicky says she's not sure, only "I thought I felt something...something pulling at me." Barnabas asks what it was, and Vicky answers "I'm not sure. It felt like a human hand." Sebastian catches his breath, and says he's all right, and asks what happened. "I was calling the spirit, and everything went black." Barnabas answers "You were in a trance. We were successful, to a degree." Carolyn asks Vicky "Vicky, what touched you? Was it Peter's spirit?" Vicky shakes her head no, and answers "No, it wasn't Peter. It was a hand, on my shoulder, pulling at me. It seemed so icy, but somehow so icy it...burned!" She gets scared again, and Barnabas tells her that it's all over now. Vicky answers "How can it be over after what we heard?" Carolyn agrees, saying "We didn't hear enough." Barnabas disagrees, saying "I think we've learned something very important. Whatever or whomever was trying to chase Vicky off Widow's Hill in the past is very much our enemy now." Sebastian says he doesn't understand how that helps to solve anything. Barnabas answers "One thing has been solved. Vicky was attacked because she is a Collins. If the Collins family has had the same enemy since the beginning, that enemy might be more easily identified by reviewing the family history." Carolyn asks "What do you think Peter meant by 'the beginning' Barnabas?" Barnabas answers "I'm not sure. It may mean the beginning of whatever enemy there is, or....." Vicky finishes the thought with "....perhaps the beginning of the Collins family as we know it." Barnabas looks at her, curious, as Vicky continues "I don't know why I know that....it's as if I just remembered it." Barnabas answers "Perhaps you did know more, as Peter Bradford did, but you lost these memories when you returned from the past." Carolyn sits next to Vicky and says "Vicky, that means you may have the answers locked up in your memories!" Vicky says she has no idea how to get them out, but Carolyn looks at Barnabas and says "I do. Barnabas, we don't need to hold any more seances. We need Julia Hoffman." Barnabas nods.

Julia is in her office at Windcliff reviewing some papers in a file folder. Her intercom buzzes and Julia answers "Yes, please show her in." A nurse comes in, leading a catatonic-looking Maggie Evans (Kathryn Leigh Scott) into Julia's office. Julia smiles and says hello to Maggie, who says nothing. "Thank you, nurse, that will be all," Julia says as she leads Maggie to a couch and lays her down. Julia takes out her jeweled medallion and begins to wave it in front of Maggie, who starts to stare at it. Julia tells her to concentrate on the "pretty jewels" and to watch the "lights dance before your eyes." Julia puts Maggie into a state of hypnosis and Maggie closes her eyes. "Maggie, listen to me. This is Dr. Hoffman," Julia says. Maggie repeats "Dr. Hoffman." Julia continues "Maggie, I want you to open your eyes and you will be just as you were the last time I made you sleep like this." Maggie opens her eyes and says "The last time...." Julia smiles and says "Yes, the same way we did yesterday. And the day before that. And the day before. You remember, Maggie..." Maggie says "I remember Maggie....I remember me!" Julia says "Yes, you remember who you are. Tell me who you are." In her normal voice, Maggie answers "I'm Maggie Evans. That's a silly question! You know me, Julia! We've known each other for years!" Julia says "Yes, we have. But sometimes you don't remember." Maggie answers "My memory....so many things are in my memories that I've forgotten.... so many things that I want to forget." Julia answers "I know. But we need to help you to remember, Maggie. We need to help you to remember so that you can remember when you are awake." Maggie says "I want to remember, Julia. I really do!" Julia asks "Then tell me...what do you remember about Roxanne Drew?" Maggie gets scared, and Julia says "It's all right, she cannot hurt you now. She can never hurt you again. But if you can remember Roxanne, it should unlock your other memories, and free your personality when you are awake. Do you understand?" Maggie nods, and says "I remember the feeling I had....I had lost all control of myself...." Julia says "Good...what else do you remember?" Maggie suddenly gets scared and says "I remember what she is! What she did to me!" Julia says "Good, Maggie. Only remember she can never harm you again. Do you think you can remember that when you are awake?" Maggie says "Wait...I'm remembering something else... what Roxanne did to me.... it wasn't the first time!" Julia starts to look more concerned, and Maggie continues "Someone else did the same thing to me! They robbed me of my will, put me under their power.... I'm remembering who....I'm remembering!" Julia takes out the medallion again and tells Maggie to watch the jewels and lights, but Maggie goes on talking about how she's remembering more and more. Julia tells her to stop remembering "too much" since it might "throw your system into a shock" and then has her concentrate on the medallion as Julia commands her to close her eyes and only awaken when Julia snaps her fingers. Julia snaps her fingers, and Maggie has returned to a near catatonic state. Julia asks Maggie how she feels, and all Maggie says is "How I feel....I...don't know. I don't remember." Julia breathes a sigh of relief.

Barnabas and Vicky arrive at Windcliff to see Julia. Barnabas tells Julia that they came so that Julia could "revive Vicky's memory," and he briefly tells Julia about the seance. Julia tells Barnabas "I may be able to do what you ask, but there's also something else we should discuss." Barnabas asks what, and after glancing at Vicky, Julia smiles and says "Oh, nothing too important. I can always tell you later, when we've returned to Collinwood." Vicky asks Julia what the chances are of getting her memories back, and Julia tells her that "it depends how deep they are within your subconscious. If we have enough cues to inspire them, perhaps we can draw more of them out." Vicky answers that they should have learned enough at the seance to "have enough memory cues." Vicky notices the file on Julia's desk and sees Maggie Evans' name on it. Vicky asks about Maggie and how she is doing. Julia says "I'm not sure... she has been in a catatonic state for over a year now. She had quite a shock to her system and it will take her a long while to recover." Barnabas asks if anything can be done to restore Maggie's personality, and Julia answers that "Moving too fast with Maggie may....do more damage than good." Vicky asks if she can see her, and Julia says "Well, I'm not sure if that would be a good idea, Vicky. She probably won't even recognize you." Vicky answers "Perhaps she might. Maybe it will bring her personality back a little if she sees me again." Barnabas agrees, and despite Julia's hesitation, suggests they go see Maggie. Julia calls the nurse and tells her to take Vicky up to see Maggie alone, since "seeing both of you together may be too much for her. Whenever you're ready to come back here Vicky, we'll be here." Vicky goes with the nurse. Barnabas asks Julia why she was so hesitant to let him see Maggie, and that "it's imperative that Maggie's personality be restored so that she can help us fight Nicholas Blair." Julia snaps "Barnabas, it's not that simple! I've been placing Maggie under hypnosis, and under hypnosis her personality and memory are returning. There's only the final stage left, where that personality and memory can be transferred to her conscious state from her subconscious." Barnabas replies "Then what is the problem?" Julia answers "I'm not sure I want to let that happen." Barnabas, shocked, asks "Why not?" Julia answers "Because remembering what Roxanne Drew was has also rekindled her memory of what you once were and what you did to her Barnabas." Barnabas is not thrilled to hear this.