Thursday, August 27, 2009

Episode 1364

Aired: Thursday September 16, 1971

After a replay of Wednesday's close, Barnabas asks Julia if she can "suppress the dangerous portions of Maggie's memory." Julia says she doesn't know for sure, since the shock of what happened to her with Roxanne may have "rekindled" all of her lost memories. Barnabas gets very sad and says "Of all the things I have done which I regret, I would have to say the pain I caused that girl hurts the most." Julia says "We've all done things we've regretted, Barnabas. And then it seems we spend the rest of our lives trying to make up for it." Barnabas replies "With Maggie Evans in the state she is in, I could make up for a lot more if I could find another way to rid us of Nicholas Blair." As Julia thinks about this, we cut to Nicholas with Willie at his house. Willie is picking up the I Ching wands from the floor as Nicholas says "You have inspired me, Loomis. I think I know where I made my mistake." Willie hands Nicholas the wands as Nicholas continues "The I Ching is one of the most ancient divination tools....one that works on the theory that the correct reading of seemingly random occurrences reveals the greater patterns of the universe, including the patterns of time." Willie asks "Time? Is that how Barnabas used them?" Nicholas says "Yes. But the hexagram he used to travel back in time was not prearranged, as was mine the last time I tried using these wands. Barnabas randomly produced that hexagram, the proper way to utilize these wands to control one's destiny. I, too, must see what the rules of chance tell me about my chances." Willie "What are you trying to do?" Nicholas "You will see if I succeed. If it is possible for one to journey back through time, it should be possible for other transfers to take place." Willie says "I don't know what you mean." Nicholas hmphs, and throws the wands on the table in front of them. Willie looks at the wands and says "They're different than before! They made a different sign!" Nicholas smiles and says "Yes... a pattern for me and me alone." Willie wonders what that may mean.

Nicholas takes a book off the shelf and begins to look up the meaning of the pattern. He smiles when he finds it, announcing "Yes, here it is! Hexagram 36...Ming I... the darkening of the light. The triumph of the evil man! What could be more perfectly suited to what I have in mind!" Nicholas grabs a chair and sits in front of the table, saying "Willie, I am going to concentrate on this pattern. See that I am not disturbed." Willie nods nervously. Back at Collinwood, Barnabas and Vicky arrive, discussing Maggie. Vicky tells Barnabas that Maggie "didn't even recognize me" and is still upset by it. Barnabas tells her that "Maggie suffered a great shock, Vicky. You shouldn't take it personally." Vicky says she wishes there was something she could do for Maggie, but Barnabas assures her that "Julia is doing all she can." They walk into the drawing room, and Barnabas suddenly looks shocked when he glances over towards the portrait of Joshua. He picks up a small bonnet from the floor and says "She was here! Look!" Vicky looks at the bonnet and identifies it as Sarah's, saying "It must have fallen off when she was here talking to me earlier." Barnabas clutches it tightly, and says "Perhaps if I keep this, she will come for it. Perhaps she left it here for me to find." Vicky smiles and says she hopes so, for Barnabas' sake. Harrison walks into the drawing room and says good afternoon as Barnabas hides the bonnet in his pocket. Harrison asks Vicky "How is your sick friend doing?" Vicky says "Not too well, I'd rather not talk about it." Harrison apologizes for bringing it up, and Vicky excuses herself. Harrison says "She seems very upset. I hope her friend recovers from whatever she ails from." Barnabas says "We all hope for that. But I fear Maggie Evans has suffered such a severe shock that her personality is almost completely submerged into her subconscious. She didn't even recognize Vicky." Harrison asks "Could she recognize you?" Barnabas thinks a moment and answers "No, no she didn't." Harrison says "What caused such a shock to her? I don't think I've ever heard of such a case before." Barnabas answers "I really don't know. I only know it was a shock related to a severe fright of some sort." Harrison pours himself a drink and says "I can understand someone being easily frightened around Collinwood." Barnabas asks "What do you mean?" Harrison offers Barnabas a drink which Barnabas declines, and then continues "Well, the great house has certainly lived up to its legends of ghosts and spirits as far as I'm concerned." Barnabas says "Oh?" and Harrison continues "Yes. In fact, I've seen some myself since I've been here." Barnabas smiles and says "There are many people here who would not admit to seeing ghosts for fear of bring thought intoxicated." Harrison replies "I'm fairly confident that you believe me. Especially since one of the ghosts I've seen is a little girl named Sarah. I saw you put her bonnet into your pocket before I came in here." Barnabas is dumbstruck.

Barnabas turns away from Harrison and says "I found the bonnet on the floor. I have no idea who it belongs to." Harrison answers "I do. I've seen her and talked to her. I don't think I could ever forget her innocence." Facing away from Harrison, Barnabas nearly begins to cry but he gets control of himself. "What did she say to you? I'm curious." Barnabas manages to say. Harrison answers "Not enough to answer my questions. She seems very afraid, and I couldn't get her to tell me why." Barnabas looks at Harrison and asks "What could she be afraid of? Didn't she tell you anything?" Harrison answers "You sound much more than merely curious, Barnabas. She didn't tell me all the answers I wanted, but I will find a way of knowing. And I will find a way of helping that poor child's spirit no matter who stands in my way." Harrison leaves the room as Barnabas wonders what Harrison's motivations are now. Meanwhile, Nicholas is concentrating on the I Ching hexagram. We see the hexagram over his face as we dissolve to see it on a metal door. The door slowly swings open, and Nicholas walks inside. The room inside is dark as Nicholas looks around. After a moment, he seems frustrated that nothing is there, but then a small light appears in front of him and begins to glow larger and larger. Nicholas smiles with his eyes open wide and reaches out to grab the light. As he does, he starts to pulsate with electricity and he gasps somewhat. Sitting back at the table, Nicholas is also flashing with electricity and gasping in what looks like pain. Willie goes into a panic, asking Nicholas what's wrong. Nicholas doesn't answer, except to say "I.....have.....it......I have.....it!" Willie starts to freak out more, babbling how he doesn't want to be responsible for Nicholas' death, since "they'll just blame me for that too!" Willie looks at the wands on the table, then at Nicholas, and makes his decision - he sweeps the wands off the table with his hands. Suddenly, the electricity leaves Nicholas and he collapses. Willie yells at him "Blair! Blair!" but Nicholas doesn't move.

Willie tries shaking Nicholas awake, and though groggy, Nicholas comes to. Willie goes "Thank God, I thought you were dead!" Nicholas looks at his empty hands, and then goes into a slow burn. He looks at Willie and then suddenly grabs him by the throat. "You idiot!" Nicholas screams. "I had it in my hands! I had it in my hands and you broke the trance!" Gasping for air, Willie pleads that he was only trying to save Nicholas' life. Nicholas sneers "I wasn't about to die, you stupid little insignificant nothing! I am not an ordinary man.....but you are....and you, Willie, CAN die!" Nicholas tightens his grip as Willie struggles. Willie gasps "Please....don't....you can try it again...." Nicholas angrily says "How can I try it again?" Willie says "You should get the same hexagram if you're supposed to, isn't that what you said?" Nicholas thinks a moment, and then drops Willie to the floor. "You may be right," Nicholas says as Willie holds his neck, trying to recover. Nicholas looks at Willie and says "Gather the wands, Willie. And this time, if you interrupt me, you will suffer a fate far worse than death." Willie starts to gather the wands from the floor as we cut to a flute being picked up off the ground in the woods. It's Sarah, and she starts to play "London Bridge" while sitting on a rock. From behind her, Harrison appears, who watches her for a while until she stops playing. She turns and sees him and begins to run away, but he pleads "Please, Sarah... don't be afraid of me." She stops and looks him over. "I heard you playing. You play very well." Sarah says "Thank you." Harrison moves a little closer and says "I'm glad I heard you playing your song because I was looking for you." Sarah says "Yes, I know you were." Harrison says "You knew? Does that mean you're not afraid of me?" Sarah says "I don't know." "Will you be afraid of me if I ask you something?" Harrison says. Sarah answers "I have to ask you something first. Then you can ask me. That's fair, you know." Harrison says "Okay, what did you want to ask me?" Sarah says "Do you promise to tell the truth?" Harrison says yes. Sarah asks "Why did you bring Vicky back here?" Harrison thinks a moment and says "You like Vicky, don't you Sarah?" Sarah nods. Harrison sighs and says "Well, I wanted to help her. I didn't want her to get hurt. I helped her by bringing her here. Do you believe me?" Sarah says "I guess so." Harrison says "I'd like to help you too, Sarah, if you'll let me." Sarah looks confused and asks "What could you help me with?" Harrison answers "Well, I'd like to know why you're afraid." Sarah laughs and says "I'm not afraid! I'm too big to get afraid!" Harrison smiles and says "I'm sure you are. But you promised me you answer my question, and now I know if you're not afraid of anything you won't be scared to answer, is that right?" Sarah says "I guess so." Harrison says "Good. Then tell me Sarah, please - why are you afraid of Barnabas?" Sarah doesn't answer.