Friday, August 28, 2009

Episode 1365

Aired: Friday September 17, 1971

After a replay of Thursday's close, Harrison repeats his question to Sarah, but she does not answer. He says "Please, you must tell me if I am to help you." Sarah shakes her head and says she doesn't need his help. "But you promised to answer my question if I answered yours," he says. "I'm not afraid of Barnabas," Sarah says. "It's just that I promised...." Harrison asks "What did you promise?" Sarah says "I can't tell you. It's a secret. It's not nice to give away secrets." Harrison kneels down and says "What if I told you a secret first? Would it be okay then?" Sarah thinks a moment and says she doesn't know, since "it would depend on the secret." "Well, I'll take my chances," Harrison says. "I know a secret about you. Would you like to hear it?" Sarah says "I didn't know there were secrets about me! Do I know this secret already?" Harrison smiles at her answer, and continues "I know you are Sarah Collins. And that you lived here a very long time ago." Sarah laughs a little and says "I knew that already! That's not really a secret." Harrison continues "I also know that you once had an older brother Barnabas." Sarah interrupts him with "I have to go now." Harrison takes a step towards her and says "Please... is that the reason you are afraid of his descendant now?" Sarah yells "I told you! I'm not afraid of him! Now I have to go!" She runs into the woods and Harrison takes a few steps in her direction calling her, but when he passes a tree, she has vanished. He picks her flute up from the ground and looks it over.

Willie hands the I Ching wands to Nicholas who tells him to sit and wait. "Do not disturb me during this trance, I don't care what happens!" he adds. Nicholas throws the wands on the table again, studies them for a moment, and then smiles. "Look! They have formed the exact same hexagram as before! Hexagram 36...Ming I... the darkening of the light! The rise of the evil man towards triumph! I shall not fail this time," he says as he sits down and concentrates. After a while, the hexagram appears in Nicholas' mind and then on a metal door. The door opens, and Nicholas walks inside. At first, there is nothing but darkness, but as Nicholas looks around, he sees the small ball of light in the center of the room, and it begins to grow larger and brighter. Nicholas smiles and reaches his hands out towards it. Back in his house, he starts to groan and flash with electricity again. Willie begins to panic, but stops himself from doing anything to help Nicholas. He hides behind a chair and watches Nicholas helplessly as we cut to Harrison walking through the woods holding Sarah's flute. As he turns a corner, he runs into Barnabas. Harrison says he needs to get back to Collinwood, but Barnabas spots the flute in his hand. "Where did you get that?" he asks sternly. "I bought it in town..." he begins to say, but Barnabas cuts him off. "Don't lie to me. I know who's flute that is. It belongs to Sarah. You must have seen her in the woods just now. I must know what she said to you." Harrison frowns and replies "You must know? I don't understand why you must know my business." Barnabas answers "I must know when it interferes with mine. You said you were determined to help the ghost of a small child. I need to know why she needs your help." Harrison starts to walk away with a sarcastic "Do you really...." but Barnabas grabs him. "Yes, I do," he says menacingly. Harrison looks at Barnabas' grip on his sleeve.

"Let go of my arm," Harrison says. "I will when I get some answers. You've been curious about me ever since you arrived here, and now you won't answer a simple question. Let's put our cards on the table, shall we?" Harrison answers "I would appreciate that." Barnabas snaps "I know who Sarah is, and I wish very much to talk to her." Harrison asks "Why?" and Barnabas answers "I have my reasons." Harrison pulls away from Barnabas and says "Well, perhaps I have my reasons for keeping secrets from you, Barnabas. I think the fact that the ghost of a child who lived almost two hundred years ago fears you is very interesting, to say the least." Barnabas turns away and says "I have no idea why she might be afraid of me." Harrison replies "It's certainly a mystery to me. Many things about you are a mystery to me, Barnabas. The family loves and respects you, they speak to me of your gallantry and heroism. Quentin counts you among his greatest friends, Miss Winters, Doctor Hoffman, and....Angelique.....all are so totally devoted to you..." Barnabas turns to him and snaps "And that surprises you? Why?" Harrison only answers "I have my reasons." Barnabas hmphs, and says "Perhaps you do. I don't care to know them. But I can promise you that if you do anything to harm the spirit of Sarah in your clumsy attempts to supposedly help her, I will see to it that you will be very very sorry." Barnabas pushes him aside and walks away. Harrison watches him go and thinks "Why would Barnabas be so protective over Sarah? And all the people here really do respect and admire him. None of this makes any sense and I am getting nowhere. What if the only way to accomplish what I came here to do is to.... reveal everything?" Harrison shudders at the thought.

Nicholas is still crackling with electricity and the groans have gone to screams as Willie begs for it all "to stop" as he cowers behind the furniture. In Nicholas' trance, he is holding the large glowing light and screaming as well, but he will not let go. "I....have.....it.....I have....it!" Nicholas says. He repeats the same thing in the house as Willie listens, and tells back "Nicholas! What is it? What is it?" Nicholas, through his pain and electric flashes, yells "I....have....it! I must hold on.....I must return!" Willie yells again "What are you holdin' on to? Nicholas!!!" Nicholas yells louder than ever as a bright flash cracks in the room. It knocks Willie off his feet and to the floor. He rolls over and looks towards the table. "Nicholas!" he yells as he crawls across the floor to Nicholas, who is laying face down. "Help....me....help me up...." Nicholas says weakly. Willie starts to help him up, and Nicholas is holding what looks like a large object covered with a blue cloth. "What is that?" Willie says. "Where did it come from?" Nicholas says "Help me....I'll put it down here....." Nicholas staggers to the table and sets the object down. "Get me the brandy Willie..." Nicholas says as he's catching his breath. Willie fetches the brandy and asks "What is it? Where did it come from?" Nicholas takes a drink and answers "It came from the darkest depths, Willie. And I snatched it from the abyss and returned it here, to this world, from my trance... I think an ordinary man would have been crushed by the awesome power of the I Ching, but not me. I was successful." Willie starts to look a little wary and asks again "Successful how? What is it that you brought back from.....wherever you said?" Nicholas walks over to the table and says "I brought this back from the depths of the past. The thing I need to destroy Barnabas Collins....and Angelique as well! Take a look!" Nicholas pulls the cloth off the object like a magician revealing a trick, and Willie can't quite believe what he sees - a severed head inside a glass box that we recognize as the eyes open and Nicholas says with a smile "Willie Loomis, let me introduce you to Judah Zachary!"