Friday, September 18, 2009

Episode 1380

Aired: Friday October 8, 1971

David Selby's voiceover: "For generations the great house at Collinwood has hidden many secrets. On this day, the many mysteries surrounding the newly arrived Harrison Collins will be revealed... only these truths will create more mysteries, mysteries shrouded in matters of life and death for the Collins family...."

Harrison enters the old house with Quentin close behind. He takes a quick look around and says "They're not here." Quentin says that he overheard Angelique say they were headed for the village, to shop for toys for Sarah. "Poor little Sarah..." Harrison says. "A sad lost spirit, wandering the Earth alone." Quentin remarks "She didn't look like a lost spirit just now. She looked like a happy little girl full of life." Harrison answers "I intend to see that she stays that way. We need to search this place before Barnabas returns. I know my ring is here. It must be!" Quentin looks at him skeptically.

Harrison begins to look through the desk as Quentin protests "You are wrong about Barnabas! There's no way he could have stolen that ring. There'd be no reason for him to do so!" Harrison snaps "Didn't you listen to a word I said in the lab? You said you believed me. Do you?" Quentin answers that he doesn't know what to believe, "but it does explain a great deal, and yes Harrison, I do know what you describe is possible." Harrison says "Then you should help me search for the ring." Quentin answers "Perhaps you and I should confront Barnabas. You must tell him what you told me." Harrison turns away from Quentin and says "It was a big enough risk telling you. Telling him may alter things in ways we cannot predict." Quentin walks around to face Harrison and says "What could be worse than what you told me? We must take the chance." Harrison thinks about this as we cut to Julia holding the ring and admiring it in Nicholas' house. Nicholas enters and says "You have it! How?" Julia smiles and only says "What does that matter, Nicholas? Now that it is in our possession, we need to find out how it works, exactly." Nicholas takes the ring and tries to put it on his finger. Julia says "And where do you get the idea that you should wear it?" Nicholas answers "I think it may arouse too much suspicion if you do." Nicholas cannot get the ring on, though. "The ring is too small!" he says angrily. "Perhaps we should simply remove the jewel from it. The jewel must be the source of the power!" Julia takes the ring back and replies "We cannot be sure of that. Better we leave it in once piece. Perhaps one does not have to wear it to access its power... perhaps only touching it..... tell me, what did Harrison do when he opened the vortex?" Nicholas thinks a moment and answers "He brought the ring up to his face and seemed to concentrate... I think he did touch the crystal with his other hand." Julia nods and says "That's good to know, Nicholas. That's good to know."

Nicholas asks Julia if she is going to attempt to use the ring now, and Julia only says "Stand behind me." She raises the ring up in one hand and touches the crystal with her finger while concentrating. "Open your door through time...." she says. Nothing happens. Embarrassed a little, she tries again, this time adding some witchcraft, but again nothing happens. Nicholas angrily says "The ring doesn't work! Harrison must have some other way." Julia tells Nicholas not to be so quick. "We may need to find out a little bit more before we are able to make use of this power." Back at the old house, Quentin and Harrison wait for a beat, and then Barnabas, Angelique and Sarah arrive. "What are you doing here?" Barnabas asks, and then scowls at Harrison. "Do you simply feel the right to walk into anyone's home?" Quentin says "Barnabas, we need to talk to you. It's actually quite urgent." Barnabas says "I don't want him saying anything to frighten Sarah." Harrison says "I don't want to frighten her in any way. Sarah, did you have a good time in the village?" Sarah nods, but looks at Harrison warily. "I see Angelique got you a doll. She's very pretty." Sarah smiles a little, but Barnabas says "Angelique, why don't you take her upstairs. I need to discuss something here." Angelique tells Barnabas she'll be back once Sarah is in her room. After she takes Sarah upstairs, Barnabas angrily confronts Harrison and says "Now tell me, cousin. What do you want from me?" Quentin tries to calm Barnabas down by saying "Barnabas, he's here to help." Barnabas says "Help what? What has he told you? Ever since he's arrived he has interfered in my business and been quite curious about me." Harrison says "Yes, I admit that. I am interested in you, Barnabas. For example, I know we have something in common." Barnabas sarcastically says "Besides an interest in Angelique? What?" Harrison answers "I know we both believe in the possibility of time travel." Barnabas wonders what this remark means and says "What does that have to do with anything?" Harrison answers "A great deal. You have found ways of traveling through time. I know that from Quentin, I know all about what happened in 1897." Barnabas is shocked to hear this, and looks at Quentin wondering why this secret was revealed, but Harrison continues "I wasn't sure I should reveal myself and my motives to you, but Quentin has convinced me that there may be no other way. Besides, you are probably the most likely person to believe my story." Barnabas says "And what story is this?" Harrison answers "I too, have traveled back in time. I am from your future." Barnabas looks at Quentin stunned, but Quentin looks back knowledgably.

Julia studies the ring as Nicholas paces. Nicholas struggles to remember how Harrison made the vortex open, but cannot remember any kind of a special trick he did. Julia thinks a moment and says "When he did this, did he do this in the woods or outside, perhaps?" Nicholas answers no, "he did it at Collinwood." Julia asks where, and Nicholas says "In an old empty room downstairs. It was an old laboratory of sorts. Why?" Julia gets up and has a revelation. "The old laboratory...Quentin's old laboratory! I remember now.... the last time I walked this Earth! Quentin Collins in 1840 claimed to have built a staircase through time....he tried to explain it to me when I controlled Gerard Stiles... the secret must be in that laboratory someplace! There must be a connection!" Nicholas says "How can I search for the secret without arousing suspicion at Collinwood?" Julia laughs a little and says "You may arouse suspicion, but Doctor Julia Hoffman is trusted by everyone." The two laugh as we dissolve back to the old house. Barnabas asks Harrison "You are from our future? When?" Harrison answers "From the year 2045. In that time I live in New York. All of the Collinses live in New York, actually. David Collins moved there towards the end of this century. David Collins was my grandfather." Barnabas says "Your grandfather?" in disbelief. Quentin says "Barnabas, hear him out. I believe him." Barnabas asks why, and Harrison answers "You cannot deny the family resemblance. We both know that there is no New York branch of the family in this time. Even Roger and Elizabeth said I resembled Jamison Collins, something I was often told growing up by you, Quentin." Barnabas says "By Quentin? Quentin is still alive in your time more than seventy years in the future?" Harrison nods and answers "His portrait locked in the attic at Collinwood. We both know of it, Barnabas. We also both know Victoria Winters mysteriously returned to this time." Barnabas replies "What does Vicky have to do with this?" Harrison answers "I brought her here. I reached through the window of time to prevent her from falling to her death from Widow's Hill, as I had been told. I thought bringing her back here would accomplish my mission, and would have no affect on the world of the 18th century." Barnabas asks "Your mission? How those words ring familiar to me. Did you know of Vicky's true identity? Was that why you brought her back?" Harrison shakes his head and answers "A happy accident. I had no idea who she was. Quite ironic, really, to save a cousin I never knew existed." Barnabas asks "Why did you save her then?" Angelique comes downstairs and asks what is going on, and demands Harrison tell her why he "insists on frightening Sarah." Harrison answers "Because I needed answers. Answers to a riddle that my grandfather grappled with for most of his life. Answers I was determined to find, to save him and Sarah from their fate." Barnabas grabs Harrison and pleads "Sarah's fate? What do you know? What will happen? Tell me, what will happen to her?" Harrison looks at Barnabas with some sympathy for the first time.

Harrison answers that he doesn't know exactly what happens to Sarah. "But you came back in time, to here, to alter that fate?" Barnabas says. "Yes," Harrison answers. "There were things that I wanted to change. But I cannot be sure that I have changed them as yet. And time is running out!" Angelique asks "How do you know that?" Harrison answers "Because my grandfather told me that the disaster happened shortly after he returned from school in 1971." Barnabas thinks a moment and says "David... Roger said David will be home in only a few more weeks." Harrison says "Yes. Which means I need to solve this riddle before then." Barnabas says "But how do you know you haven't changed the flow of time already? Simply by being here, you may have altered things without realizing it." Harrison says "Perhaps. I thought about that when I brought Victoria Winters back. But after seeing Sarah, I realized that events may be taking their course as described to me." Quentin somberly says "Harrison, tell him the rest. He must hear it!" Barnabas, curious, says "What must I hear?" Harrison says "In my time, Collinwood is abandoned. When I first visited it, I discovered why my grandfather and the other survivors had fled." Barnabas asks "Other survivors?" Harrison answers "Yes. Only David, Roger and Quentin survived. In my time, Collinwood remains haunted by a vengeful angry spirit.... one whom is condemned to re-enact, throughout eternity, the murders and destruction they committed years earlier... I saw these ghosts act out their tragic fates over and over.... it was often too horrible to bear." Barnabas says "Sarah was one of those spirits?" Harrison says "Yes." Barnabas frantically asks "And the vengeful angry spirit you mentioned, the one who was the cause of all the murders?" Harrison looks at Quentin, and then at Barnabas, only saying "Yours, Barnabas. Your spirit." Barnabas is aghast.