Thursday, September 17, 2009

Episode1379

Aired: Thursday October 7, 1971

After a replay of Wednesday's close where Harrison fails to open the vortex & the titles, Quentin asks how Harrison knows the ring is a fake. Harrison says "Because the real one has an inscription on the inside. The ring itself was a gift. I had the crystal set into it after I discovered it in that desk." Quentin laughs a little and says "Well, you certainly make things very difficult to believe." Harrison says "I understand your skepticism, Quentin. If I were in your position, I'd feel the same. But you must believe me when I tell you that I am speaking the truth, and that whoever has stolen my ring holds in their possession a very dangerous weapon." Quentin replies "For someone to steal that ring, they must know about it. Who else knows about it?" Harrison says he's not sure, but that he once caught Willie Loomis attempting to steal it, and "this makes me suspect Barnabas." Quentin answers "Barnabas? I doubt that very much. I don't know what use he could possibly have for it." Harrison answers "That's something I'd like to find out." We fade to the Collinwood drawing room, where Liz is putting out some cups and saucers. Alan enters with Carolyn, and asks "Well, what's the occasion?" Liz tells Alan that Barnabas and Angelique are bringing Barnabas' niece over to meet the family. Alan remarks how Collinwood can't seem to stay without children too long. Liz answers that "David is hardly a child anymore, though it's hard for me to think of him otherwise." Maggie enters, and Liz says hello. Maggie asks what the occasion is as well, and Alan tells her that Barnabas and Angelique will be over soon with "Barnabas' long lost niece." Liz says "Oh, Alan. Sarah isn't really a blood relative, but Barnabas was very close with her parents in England. He'll be her guardian." Maggie says "Yes, Julia mentioned that to me. Barnabas was wondering if I could serve as her governess." Liz says "Oh Maggie, that's wonderful! That should work out just fine." Maggie says "Yes, it should. It's just..." Liz asks what, and Maggie says "Nothing, really. I just got a funny feeling when Barnabas talked about her. Almost like a memory, but not quite. I'm sure it's nothing." She sits down and has some coffee with Liz and Alan.

Down in the lab, Quentin and Harrison are still discussing the ring. "I can't see any reason why Barnabas would steal your ring," Quentin says. Harrison replies "Well, someone certainly seems interested in it. Barnabas has mystified me ever since I arrived. I must admit, he's not what I expected at all." Quentin asks Harrison what he expected about Barnabas, and Harrison only answers "It's a long story. And I doubt you'll believe me unless I show you what that ring can do." Quentin muses "Quite a remarkable concept, the travel through time. All the decisions of people, their choices in life. You can't help but wonder how things would change with just the simplest choices altered." Harrison looks at Quentin and says "Altering the flow of time can be very dangerous. Changing any kind of event can have numerous consequences for the future." Quentin replies "Well, if you really know everything about me as you say you do, you might realize that some tragic events can be altered and history can be changed for the positive." Harrison nods and says "I have thought about that more than you can ever know, Quentin. In fact, there was one tragedy from the past that I did change, though I'm not sure what effect it will have..." As he says this and Quentin waits for more details, we cut to Vicky, sitting with Carolyn in the drawing room with Alan, Liz & Maggie. Vicky asks Carolyn if she wants any more coffee, and Carolyn says no. "So, you've already met Barnabas' niece?" Carolyn asks. Vicky says yes, since she was visiting at the old house when Sarah arrived. "Sarah...." Maggie says to herself. Carolyn says "Hmm?" and Maggie says "Oh, nothing. I was just thinking about that name." The front door opens, and Barnabas, Angelique and Sarah enter. Vicky walks out to greet them, and Barnabas tells Sarah "This is Collinwood. It's a grand house, as you will see." Sarah looks around, and then sees Barnabas' portrait. "Why are you dressed like that?" she asks Barnabas. Barnabas tells her "He was my ancestor... people dressed differently long ago." Sarah looks around, and Liz comes out. She says hello to Angelique and Barnabas, and then sees Sarah. "And this must be little Sarah! Hello, I'm your cousin Elizabeth." Sarah says hello, but studies Liz carefully. Liz asks her "Why are you looking at me like that?" Sarah says "You look like my mother." Barnabas and Angelique get nervous, but Liz only says "Really? Well, that's something Barnabas never mentioned." Barnabas only says "Well, I suppose there was a slight resemblance." They all enter the drawing room, and Sarah is introduced to Alan and Carolyn. Everyone says hello, and then Maggie and Sarah see each other. Barnabas nervously watches as Liz introduces Maggie to Sarah. Maggie says hello, and Sarah looks her over a moment before saying "You look like my friend!" Barnabas worries.

"I look like your friend?" Maggie says, and Sarah nods. "Well, that's nice. But I know we haven't met before." Barnabas smiles with relief, and remarks how Sarah is still "a bit tired" from her long trip. Liz asks Sarah how she likes Collinsport so far, and Sarah says she "likes the woods around the old house." Liz laughs a little and remarks how Sarah is "already calling it the old house." Carolyn says "Sarah, what is England like? Did you like growing up there?" Sarah says "It's very different than here. I really don't remember it well." Everyone laughs at this supposedly cute remark, but Carolyn continues "What about London? I loved my visit there when I was about your age. I went with my Uncle Roger, you'll meet him soon. London was a wonderful city..." as Carolyn goes on, we zoom in on Maggie, who starts to hum "London Bridge" louder and louder. Sarah listens to her, and then suddenly the two of them sing a verse of the song. Barnabas gets very nervous, and Maggie says "I don't know why I did that, I'm sorry." Sarah says "It's okay, I like singing with you." Angelique says "Sarah, we were thinking of having Maggie be your governess, your teacher. Would you like that?" Sarah nods yes, and Angelique takes Barnabas aside and says "I will protect you, do not worry." Vicky asks Sarah if she'd like to see the rest of the house, and Sarah says yes. Carolyn and Maggie say that they'll help show Sarah around, and the four of them leave. Liz tells Barnabas "She's delightful! I'm sure she will be very happy here, Barnabas. " Barnabas thanks Liz, and then tells Angelique "I hope I can be sure as well." Liz says "I wonder where Quentin and Harrison are. I thought I had mentioned this to them. I'm sure they'd love to meet Sarah as well." Barnabas suddenly gets panicky and takes Angelique aside. Angelique asks what's wrong and Barnabas says "I was a fool to forget! Harrison!" Angelique says "What about him?" Barnabas says "Harrison has seen Sarah before. He's most sure to recognize her." Angelique thinks about this as we cut to Harrison down in the lab with Quentin. Quentin says "If I help you find this ring, what are you going to use it for?" Harrison answers "What do you mean?" Quentin says "I mean... you will have the power to alter time. What do you intend to alter? And what does it have to do with me?" Harrison answers "You'll have to..." Quentin says "I know, I know. Trust you. How familiar those words are beginning to sound to me." Harrison says "Please, Quentin. I will tell you everything, I promise. I know I can trust you." Quentin snaps "And how do you know that? Especially if you know me so well as you claim...not everyone who has known me has found me very trustworthy..." Harrison answers "When we find the ring, you'll be able to recognize it by its inscription. Like I said, it was a gift." Quentin says "If I help you find it..." Harrison continues "The inscription reads 'To Harrison on his eighteenth birthday....from Quentin." Quentin raises an eyebrow. "I think it's time I told you everything," Harrison says.

In the foyer, Maggie and Vicky come downstairs with Sarah and remark about how big Collinwood is. Vicky remarks that Sarah will have plenty of chances to explore as time goes on. Barnabas and Angelique come out of the drawing room and tell Vicky that they'd better get Sarah ready for a "tour of Collinsport." Angelique tells her that "there's a wonderful toy store in town you must see." Sarah says that she loves dolls, and Angelique says that they can look for a "pretty one" for her. Maggie thinks a moment and says "Doll...." Vicky asks Maggie if she's allright, and Maggie says she's fine, only she keeps thinking about things "and daydreaming too much, I guess." Barnabas tells Sarah to say goodbye to Liz and Alan before they go, and Sarah goes into the drawing room. Maggie thanks Barnabas for the governess job, and says "I think Sarah and I will get along just fine." Barnabas says he's happy to hear that, but still looks at Angelique nervously as Maggie heads upstairs. Sarah comes back out and asks if they can go, but then Harrison and Quentin come out of the door under the stairs. Sarah looks at them and says her familiar "hello." Quentin says hello, but Harrison stops in his tracks. Barnabas says "Quentin, this is...my niece, Sarah." Quentin says "Your niece?" Barnabas says "Yes. She's just arrived....from England. She will be staying with us." He looks at Quentin with a "I'll explain later" nod and Quentin looks at Harrison, who is looking at Sarah with a grave look on his face. "Hello," Harrison says. "Do you remember me?" Barnabas takes Sarah's hand and says "Well, we must be getting to town now," but Harrison steps in front of Sarah and says "Do you remember me? From the woods? You must remember me, please!" Sarah looks confused, and Barnabas snaps "How could she remember you from the woods when she has arrived from England only last night?" Harrison looks at Barnabas and says sarcastically "Why don't you tell me?" After an uncomfortable beat, Barnabas leads Sarah out the door along with Angelique as Vicky is confused. "I don't understand," she says (what else?). Quentin looks at Harrison and says "Neither do I. What was all that about?" Harrison looks at Quentin and says "It was all about what I just told you. That little girl. She's the one." Quentin is suddenly devastated and only says "Oh my God...." Vicky asks what is going on, and Harrison only tells her "Miss Winters, trust me. It's better that you do not know. Quentin, come with me, quickly." Harrison grabs his coat and leaves, and Quentin follows, asking "Where are we going?" before the door closes on a confused Vicky. Liz and Alan come out of the drawing room and ask Vicky why she looks so upset. Vicky says "I'm not sure....but something is definitely wrong!" Vicky suddenly goes out the door as well, while Liz and Alan wonder why.