Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Episode 1387

Aired: Tuesday October 19, 1971

After a replay of Monday's close and the titles, Liz and Alan are going over some papers in the drawing room. "I think the weekend right after David's return from school would be the best time," Liz says. "If you really want to wait that long," Alan answers, kissing her hand. Liz tells Alan that she's waited many years to "feel this happy" and waiting two more weeks for David to return from school won't be much more. "I'll have to let my daughters know so they can arrange their schedules," Alan says. Liz tells Alan what a "delight" it was to meet them in Boston, and how she can't wait for the rest of the family to meet them as well. Julia enters and Liz tells her "You're just in time! Alan and I have decided on a date." Julia looks at them and says "Oh?" Liz tells Julia that she and Alan plan to marry in "a family ceremony, here at Collinwood" right after David returns from school in two weeks. Julia congratulates them and begins to think a bit as Liz says "I'd like you to be in the wedding party, Julia. You've been such a good friend to the family." Julia thanks her, and adds that "I wouldn't want to miss such a happy occasion in the Collins family." Meanwhile, Barnabas and Harrison are at Stokes' house. Stokes offers them some of the cheese he's having with his sherry, but both decline. Stokes agrees that "this puzzle of the future is certainly mysterious" but he feels that by going over "all the details" Harrison remembers, "especially in the original vision, the mystery may be solved." Harrison answers that he'll never forget what happened to him, down to the last detail. Stokes says that while he respects Harrison's memory, "I would rather I put you under hypnosis, and made you relive what happened. Barnabas and myself will pay careful attention, and see if we can discover what some of those clues mean. Are you willing to do this?" Harrison looks at Barnabas first, and then agrees. Stokes says "Good. I have a rather strange ulterior motive in all this, Harrison." Harrison asks what, and Stokes answers "I'd like you to complete your mission here in this time so that we can have a nice relaxed chat about your world. I'm fascinated to know more about it." Harrison smiles and answers that he looks forward to such a conversation "once I've accomplished what I came here to do." Stokes takes out a pocket watch and begins to swing it in front of Harrison.

Julia goes back to her room and begins to settle in, but then notices that some of the drawers are a little bit open. She looks through them, and then thinks a moment before checking the armoire. She suddenly leaves the room. At Nicholas' house, Nicholas is having a drink and reading when Julia enters. He asks her what she's doing there at such a late hour, and she answers "I think someone has been searching through my room at Collinwood." Nicholas stands and says "Do you think someone suspects you? That's impossible!" Julia paces and answers that she's not sure. "It could have been that idiot housekeeper, but I can't be sure." Nicholas asks if anyone seems to suspect her, and Julia nods. "Harrison seems to be watching me, somehow. I thought I had gained his trust after Barnabas vouched for me, but now I am not so sure." Nicholas snickers and reminds her that Harrison will be "eliminated with all the rest of them soon enough anyway." Julia says "Perhaps not soon enough. Perhaps we should move forward with our plans sooner than we wanted to." Nicholas asks when the entire family will be together, and Julia answers "I found that out today, at Elizabeth Stoddard's wedding to Alan Slater. But that won't be for another two weeks. What if we're discovered by then? I don't know if I want to risk that." Nicholas scoffs and answers that "no one could do anything even if we were discovered." He pulls a necklace from under his robe and we see the ring hanging on it. "As long as we have this, we control the entire game!" he says. Julia answers "I want to destroy Angelique and Barnabas most of all. I'm willing to sacrifice killing a few of the others if I can have my revenge on them. I must have that revenge!" Nicholas tells Julia to be patient, but she snaps "I say we move forward. And my say is somewhat more..... powerful than yours, is it not?" Nicholas is quieted, and then Julia adds "Perhaps we can buy ourselves some time, though..... if I find a way to silence Harrison Collins." She smiles an evil smile.

Stokes is putting Harrison under hypnosis and telling him to relive the events of 2045. Harrison retells the story of Angelique walking into the drawing room and facing the angry Barnabas. Stokes asks Harrison what is happening, and Harrison describes how Barnabas forces Angelique into the hellfire. "What does he say? Does he say anything about a witch?" Stokes asks. Barnabas asks why Stokes would say that, and Stokes answers "Please, quiet! It's only a hunch I'm playing." Harrison answers "No. He says nothing, except.... to me." Stokes answers "Then it's clear Barnabas, that you did not wish to destroy Angelique because she was a witch." Barnabas protests that he loves Angelique as his wife, and Stokes snaps "Need I remind you of your own past, Barnabas?" Barnabas answers "You're right. We must explore every possibility." Stokes asks Harrison what Barnabas said to him. "He told me I was a Collins, and that I must die." Stokes thinks a moment. Harrison continues "And then he suddenly stopped himself. He looked at the hellfire when little Sarah was burning, and he....he....seemed to change somehow." Stokes stops Harrison and asks him to describe how Barnabas looked when he changed. "Which one?" Harrison answers. Stokes and Barnabas look at each other puzzled. "What do you mean?" Stokes asks. Harrison answers "The ghost looks one way and his reflection in the window another. The ghost is sad and remorseful. The reflection is smiling, an evil smile. I don't think I can ever forget it...with those red, burning eyes of hate...." Barnabas asks "What could that mean?" Stokes thinks a moment and asks Harrison what happened next. Harrison describes how he ran out of the room but knew the ghost of Barnabas re-enacted his own suicide. Barnabas is saddened to hear this, but Stokes seems to see a revelation. "Fascinating," he says. Stokes tells Harrison he will awaken at the count of three and feel relaxed and refreshed. Harrison wakes and asks Stokes if what he told them helped. Stokes answers "Yes, Harrison. Indeed I think it may have helped us a great deal." Harrison and Barnabas wonder what he means.

"Normally I would have thought that what Harrison witnessed was the re-enactment of an episode of temporary insanity," Stokes begins over another slice of cheese. "But the image of the reflection in the window made me think otherwise." Harrison says "That smile...and those eyes. Is that what I described?" Stokes answers yes, and that "At first, Barnabas was bent on destruction. First Angelique, and then Sarah, two people he loves deeply. Perhaps it was the strength of his love for Sarah that led to the change. You said when he saw Sarah in the flames he suddenly changed and felt remorse, so much so that he ended his own life. Yet, he cast her into the fire in the first place." Harrison answers yes, and that's why he had thought that Barnabas would have exhibited erratic behavior when he first arrived. "But the reflection remained the same. Evil and angry. And, that evil spirit recognized you as a Collins and was bent on destroying you as well until it changed to the sad and remorseful one." Barnabas asks what it all means, and Stokes says "It's quite simple. It seems your spirit was possessed by another, an evil spirit bent on destroying those you love or even perhaps any member of the Collins family for some reason. When you saw Sarah become part of that destruction, your own spirit reasserted itself, but too late to save her. When you were overcome with guilt, you took your own life." Barnabas sighs deeply, but Harrison says "He said 'I will destroy you'.... that's what I heard before the gunshot." Stokes nods and answers "Then it seems Barnabas destroyed himself in order to kill the evil spirit dwelling within him." Barnabas adds "And I reenact it throughout eternity trying to undo what I did.... how horrible." Harrison tells him "It's not what you did, Barnabas. Is it, Professor?" Stokes answers "No. It's what the spirit that possessed you did, Barnabas. The same spirit that no doubt condemned your soul and the others to the vision Harrison witnessed in the future's original timeline." Barnabas answers "The timeline has been changed! We know that!" Stokes answers "Yes, it has. And for the worse, from what you've told me. Whatever it was that originally possessed you, Barnabas, seems to have been able to destroy the entire family as it stands now." Barnabas answers "We must find out what spirit this is! We must!" Stokes answers ominously "Yes, but we may also need to find out where it is, for it may already be among us." Harrison and Barnabas look at each other.