Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Episode 1388

Aired: Wednesday October 20, 1971

Grayson Hall's voiceover: "Barnabas Collins has discovered that Harrison Collins, the mysterious visitor from another time, has somehow prevented him from destroying those he loved most in the Collins family. But other unknown changes have left shadows of more terrifying things to come....a future in which the entire family, including Harrison, are destroyed by some evil spirit unknown to Barnabas and Harrison. But little to they suspect that Barnabas most trusted friend, Julia Hoffman, has been possessed by that spirit and is moving forward with plans of destruction...."

Barnabas and Harrison return to Collinwood going over what they learned at Stokes'. Barnabas remarks about "the awful thing about it all is not knowing who to turn to." Harrison answers that "Angelique gave me a vision somehow. Did you know of her psychic powers? Perhaps she could be of help in locating the spirit Stokes talked of." Barnabas answers evasively that Angelique's psychic powers "can sometimes strain her too much." Julia comes downstairs and says hello. Harrison looks at her suspiciously, but Barnabas tells her "Julia! We just came from Stokes. We've learned much more about what is happening." Julia smiles and says "Well then Barnabas, let's step into the drawing room where you can tell me all about it."

After the titles, Barnabas has spilled it to Julia. "An evil spirit?" she asks. "Yes," he answers. "Evidently, I was possessed by it in he original timeline, before Harrison came here to alter it. But now it seems the future is even more bleak." Julia turns from him to hide her smile. "How interesting..." she says. Julia asks Harrison what he did to prevent Barnabas from being possessed. Harrison answers that he has "no idea" but that "from what I know of time travel, even the most insignificant thing I've done here may have changed something. The only thing now is to prevent the current chain of events from taking place." Julia asks "How can you know if another insignificant thing won't do it? Perhaps you've already altered that version of the future as well without knowing it." Harrison smiles at her and says "Somehow I doubt that." Barnabas frets "We must discover the nature of this spirit, and why it is our enemy." Julia answers "that may be impossible unless the spirit reveals itself, which may only happen right before the destruction of the Collinses begins." Harrison says "You seem awfully sure about that." Julia answers that she is an expert on such things, after all. Harrison smirks a bit and adds "I believe you, Doctor. Though I doubt you would have some of the knowledge I have from my own time on spiritualism. It's quite a science in the twenty-first century. I'll need to gather some materials, of course, but I think with the tools I have available because of that future knowledge, I should be able to identify and locate this spirit fairly quickly." Barnabas asks "Is that true?" Harrison, never taking his eyes off Julia, answers "Yes. And then I'll also have just as many tools available to destroy it." Julia wonders about this.

Barnabas says goodnight to Julia and tells Harrison he must tell Angelique of what has happened. After he leaves, Julia asks Harrison if she can help him with "the tools" he mentioned. He looks at her and answers "I'm not sure you'll be able to handle all of them. After all, we are dealing with science you are not familiar with." Julia asks how science can be used to destroy spirits, "especially considering how the science of this century denies their existence in the first place." Harrison answers "We are wiser in my world. Trust me. I'll find out what this is all about, and I will fulfill my mission here." Julia wonders how true this can be, and Harrison adds "After all, you must understand how those in my time can manipulate the laws of time and space. Else, how could I have come here so easily? A spiritual possession is rather easily dealt with, compared to that. All I need is to construct the proper instruments. And then the spirit will be powerless against me." Julia gulps and answers "Really?" Harrison nods and asks Julia if she wants a nightcap as he heads back to the drawing room. She declines, and says she feels more like some fresh air. As she gets her coat, she takes Harrison's scarf from his coat and sneaks it into her pocket before leaving. Harrison takes a drink and thinks "I don't know what you're thinking, Doctor.... whether you believed everything I said about future science. But I do know that a good bluff works in any time period...." He gulps the rest of his drink.

Barnabas and Angelique are in the old house living room, and he has told her what has happened. "Perhaps Harrison is right," she says. "I should use my powers to find this spirit." Barnabas answers "I didn't want to say it in front of him, but what if that is the trap? You said yourself that you are drawn closer to Nicholas' influence every time you use the powers he gave you. What if this is all a trick to bring the evil spirit to us?" Angelique says they can't be sure. Barnabas wonders aloud why some unknown spirit would want to destroy the Collins family. Angelique answers that the Collins family has made its share of enemies over the years, and the spirit could be anyone. Barnabas thinks a moment and says "What if it was more personal? What if it was only an enemy of yours and mine?" Angelique answers "Then it could merely be Nicholas himself." Barnabas angrily says "There must be some way! Why does this family live under so many curses?" Angelique sighs and answers "I was once a part of those curses, Barnabas. I was once a tool to be used to destroy the family. My only escape was gaining your love." Barnabas asks her why the curses exist in the first place. Angelique says that if the evil spirit that may possess Barnabas is part of the long standing curse against the Collins family, it would "have only a limited number of chances to succeed." Barnabas asks her what she means, and she answers "Remember how I told you that unless I found human love, I would be forced to return to my master in the underworld for all eternity." Barnabas nods, and Angelique answers "All of us who were sent to vex your family were only given limited chances to succeed. I was able to convince my master to give me extra chances to escape as well." Barnabas asks "Why does your master want to destroy my family?" Angelique seems afraid to tell him.

Angelique tells Barnabas that "my master has wanted revenge against your family since its founding here in Maine." Barnabas says "Since the beginning?" Angelique answers yes. "Haven't you ever wondered why each generation of the Collins family has faced such horrible tragedies?" Barnabas answers "I had thought it was due to the curse Judah Zachary placed on Amadeus Collins in 1688." Angelique answers "Judah tried to take credit for my master's work. But the curse was placed on the family earlier than that. On the founder of the family, Isaac Collins, in the year 1651." Barnabas answers "So our destruction of Judah Zachary in 1840 did not end the curse on the family?" Angelique says no, since "the original arrangement with Isaac Collins has not been fulfilled yet." Barnabas turns to her and says "Original arrangement? Tell me what this was. What did Isaac Collins do in 1651 which may mean our destruction now?" Angelique prepares to tell him.