Thursday, January 21, 2010

Episode 1469

Aired: Thursday February 9, 1972

Alexandra Moltke's voiceover: "My name is Victoria Winters. My life has taken strange and twisted turns since coming to Collinwood. On this night I have made a strange and terrifying discovery in an abandoned laboratory in the basement of the great house. And soon, other ghosts of the past will soon rise to the surface, creating more mysteries than answers...."

Vicky looks at the noose on the floor of the lab before picking it up and examining it. "I know I saw that light before this appeared here..." we hear her think. "What could it mean? This can't be the same rope they once tried to hang me with... it can't!" She looks around. "What kind of things were done in this laboratory? Why was that diary here for Carolyn to find?" Suddenly, she remembers. "The light... it was the same light I saw in the West wing window!" she says out loud. "There might be an answer in the West wing!"

After the titles, Vicky enters the West wing from the main hallway and begins to search around. She passes Quentin's room and moves on towards areas of the wing still dark and unused. "I think the light must have come from this room," she says, but the door is locked. She hears some voices in the distance and asks who is there. Further down the hallway, Julia and Quentin have just locked the door that leads to the attic. "There's no way that Lori could ever find it up there," Julia says. Quentin agrees, but says "I can't help but be very paranoid about that portrait. It wouldn't be the first time someone has tried to use it to destroy me." They hear Vicky calling, and Julia calls back. "Vicky? Is that you?" The three meet up. Julia asks Vicky why she is in the west wing, and Vicky says "It's a long story. What are you doing back here?" Julia looks at Quentin and then lies "We were looking for a book, that's all. What's your long story?" Vicky shows Julia the noose. "It starts with this," she says. Julia asks where she got it, and Vicky says that the rope "suddenly appeared out of nowhere" in the downstairs laboratory. "The lab?" Quentin says. "Why were you down there?" Vicky says "More of the long story." Julia says "Tell us on the way down there. I want to see exactly where this rope appeared." They leave. Meanwhile, Chris sits in Miller's cell as Lori and Miller look over some experiments. Lori says she'll need more time to work with the blood. Miller tells her he needs to head into town for some things and asks her if she'll be all right alone. She says she will, and cannot leave her work right now anyway. Miller leaves as Chris grumbles. Lori waits a moment and makes sure Miller is gone before approaching Chris. "I needed to wait for him to leave," Lori says. Chris sneers "Why, so you could study the freak all on your own?" Lori says "No, Mr. Jennings. So I could help you." Chris is interested.

At Collinwood, Julia, Quentin and Vicky are in the lab. Vicky shows them where the rope appeared and describes the light she saw. Quentin examines the green curtain as well as the desk. "Something has been restoring these things... they're like new, but only parts of them." Vicky asks what could cause something like that, and Quentin says "This room has always been connected to warps in time. My guess is that has something to do with this." Julia says that "the original Quentin Collins experimented with a staircase through time...its remains are behind that old curtain. Perhaps there are still open doorways in here that lead into the past at random places." Vicky says there was nothing random about the rope. "Of all the things in the past, why would it give me the very rope I was nearly hung with?" Julia says that Vicky can't be sure it's the same rope. Vicky answers "I don't believe in coincidences anymore after moving here." Quentin laughs a little and says "I'll agree with that!" Vicky says that she and Carolyn had come to the lab because of one of Carolyn's dreams, and that they found a diary of someone in the past named Leticia Faye. Julia gasps at the name. "Where is Carolyn now? I need to see that diary!" Vicky says she's in the drawing room. We cut to Carolyn reading the diary in the drawing room when Quentin, Vicky and Julia enter. Julia tells Carolyn "Carolyn, can I see that diary? I think I can tell you more about Leticia Faye." Carolyn wonders how Julia knows as we cut back to Lori and Chris. Chris tells Lori "That's crazy!" Lori says "It's your only chance. Brian will never let you out of here once he has what he needs from you. You must let me look after things, let me study you. I may be able to help you. I've already identified some strange element in your blood. I won't tell Brian about it." Chris thinks a moment. "This lock has been fixed." Lori smiles. "You let me take care of everything." She hands him a paper. "You'll still need to be restrained at night while the moon is full. Go to this address. I'll meet you there before sundown." Chris says he isn't sure if it will work. "Just wait for Brian to get back here," Lori says. "And remember to do exactly everything I said."

Julia tells Carolyn all about Leticia Faye, claiming her knowledge comes from "her other research of the Collins family." Carolyn looks at the diary and says "She must have really had psychic powers, Julia, how else could she write my name in a diary more than a hundred years ago?" Julia says she doesn't know. Vicky asks if maybe the same thing that restored the desk and the curtain and left the rope behind might have something to do with the diary. "Perhaps," Julia says. Carolyn suggests they tell Professor Stokes about it all. "We'll need to tell him about the West wing as well," Vicky says. Quentin asks why, and Vicky says she saw a light similar to the one in the lab in a West wing window. "But when I went to that room, it was locked. There might be more clues in there if we can get inside." Quentin says that "Other than my room, the rest of the West wing is empty." Julia says "But if some sort of phenomena coming out of that lab is affecting it...." Carolyn gets on the phone to call Stokes, but there's no answer. Julia says that he must be teaching during the day. "I need to head into town anyway," she says. "I'll stop by the university and see if I can find him." She gets her coat.

Miller returns as Lori continues to work with the laboratory equipment. Chris looks to be asleep. Miller asks Lori how he's been behaving, and Lori says "He's been sleeping, mostly. Not surprising considering what his body goes through during the night." Miller looks him over. "Such an amazing stroke of luck to find him," Miller says. "Who would have ever thought that such a creature could actually exist?" Lori says "He's not a creature, really. He's a man." Miller laughs. "A typical woman's response. Why don't you mother him while you're at it?" Lori takes a needle and says "I'll need to get more blood from him. This would be a good time, while he's out." Miller picks up the tranquilizer gun. "You can never been too sure." Lori says "Oh, Brian, you're being so protective. Do I bring out the mother in you?" He smirks and takes the key from his pocket. Lori shows him a second needle she has. "I already prepared this one with sedative," she says. "I'm not about to take any chances." Miller smiles. "I underestimated you, my dear," and starts to unlock the cell. Lori enters with both needles and leans over Chris. He opens one eye and she smiles at him. Lori leans over Chris while Miller watches, but suddenly Chris leaps up and throws Lori aside. He's grabbed the needled filled with sedative and lunges at Miller before he can grab the gun. Chris jams the needle into Miller's arm while Lori screams "Brian! Stop him!" Miller pulls the needle from his arm, but reels before he can get to the gun. Chris gives Lori a last look before running out. Lori feigns more shouting. "Brian! Brian! Get up! He's getting away!" Lori grabs the gun before Brian passes out and says "I'll get him back." Once Brian passes out, Lori laughs a little and takes her time leaving. Outside, Chris is running through the woods. He stops for a moment to check the paper Lori gave him and reads the address aloud. He decides to head in that direction, but as soon as he turns and takes a step he runs smack into Julia. "Chris!" she says. "Chris Jennings! Oh, thank God, you're all right!" He's not too thrilled to see her.