Friday, January 22, 2010

Episode 1470

Aired: Friday February 10, 1972

After a repeat of Thursday's close and the titles, Chris tries to step away from Julia when she tells him he needs to tell Barnabas where he is. "Neither of you can help me, you've tried in the past," he says. "I'm grateful for that, but nothing worked. I had to get away from here." Julia asks him why he's back, and he says it wasn't his idea. "You attacked me last night, that's how we knew you were back," Julia says. Chris says "You've got to trust me, Julia. I think I may have found another friend here. I can't tell you about any of it now, but you've got to trust me. I know I won't be attacking anyone again if I let them help me." Julia insists that Barnabas know where Chris is, but Chris tells Julia she should "stay out of my problems this time. I've got to go!" He runs off as she yells for him to come back. At the old house, Angelique answers a knock at the door, and isn't thrilled to see it's Julia. "What is it?" Angelique says. Julia says she needs to see Barnabas. Angelique tells Julia that there's no reason for her to see Barnabas, "since whatever it is, I can handle it." Julia scowls and says "this has nothing to do with you." Barnabas steps over and asks what's going on. Julia tells Barnabas that she just saw Chris Jennings. "You did?" he says, interested. "Come in, please. Tell me more." Angelique gets annoyed and says she's going out for a walk. Barnabas asks her if she'd rather listen to more about Chris, since perhaps she could help him. "I don't know him at all," Angelique says. "I'll leave it to you and Julia." She humphs and leaves the house.

Julia has told Barnabas about seeing Chris. He wonders who the mysterious friend is, and "if this friend is so powerful, why was he running loose last night? He could have killed someone, and nearly did you and Lori Slater!" Julia remarks on Lori's interest in Collins family history and Quentin especially. Barnabas says "What could her motives be?" Julia says "Well, with Quentin, they might be romantic to some degree. But I can't help thinking that she was drawn to him after gathering those clues as to his secrets." Barnabas nods, and says "I suppose for a woman like her interested in science, such a man would be especially fascinating and alluring." After he says this, Julia gives him a smile, but he turns away nervously. She changes the subject. "Angelique seemed upset... is everything all right?" Barnabas says "Yes," but Julia doesn't believe him. There's knock at the door, and it's Maggie. "Hello, Julia," she says. "I left my bag here, like an idiot! I just need to run upstairs and get it." She runs upstairs as Barnabas watches uneasily. Julia remarks how Maggie seems "back to normal," and Barnabas says "Not quite. She's fine now, but I don't understand what happened last night..." Julia asks if Maggie had "another relapse." Barnabas says "You could call it that. But I'm so worried about this one, Julia." He walks to her and takes her hand. "I'm so glad you've stayed on at Collinwood. I don't know what I would do without you." Julia starts to look hopeful and grabs onto Barnabas' hand tighter, saying "You....you know I could never leave here or leave you..." Barnabas drops her hand and says "Angelique wanted to leave here, and I might have agreed in another time, but not now, not now. Not when my heart is being torn apart." Julia says "Barnabas, we could find a way to work these things out..." but her hopes are dashed when Barnabas adds "Julia, Maggie became Josette last night! It was her! Not just some reincarnation or some madness, but her!" Julia says "What are you talking about?" Barnabas says "She appeared to me last night, in Josette's room. In her wedding dress. She offered me her love once again....and when I could stand it no more, I gave in and kissed her. I haven't felt such a kiss in almost two hundred years...that's how I know it was her. All my feelings for her, all my passions have returned! And now Maggie is Maggie again...Julia I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do! I know I'm married to Angelique and I do love her, but I also....I also still love Josette." Julia turns away, crushed. "I...I...don't know what to say." she murmurs.

Chris arrives at Lori's laboratory and tries the door. It opens, and Lori is waiting inside for him. "Welcome," she says. "No one saw you, I trust." Chris says "No, no one important anyway. So, I see you have your own rival laboratory set up here. I never knew Collinwood was such a growth market for mad scientists." Lori smiles and says "Brian fell for our ruse. He thinks you escaped and I'm out looking for you. He knows about this lab, but what he doesn't know about is the basement. Come on." She leads him down into the basement, and tells him how the room is completely locked, sealed and soundproof. "There's also another exit over there, which leads to a fruit cellar of sorts with another door outwards. You should use it from now on so no one will know you're here. But leave the key with me before nightfall so you'll stay in here and avoid harm." Chris asks her if she's sure he won't get out of there when "I become that monster." Lori assures him, and tells him that she may soon have some sort of treatment based on what she discovered in his blood. She adds "There's another piece of the puzzle I need to check on, however." and we cut to Quentin, having a drink in the drawing room. There's a knock at the door, and it's Joanna, who asks Quentin if he missed her while she was in Boston. "Quite a bit, actually," he says with a kiss. Joanna asks him if he's heard anything from her father and Elizabeth, and Quentin says "We got a card today from Rome. It seems they're making extra wishes throwing coins in the fountains." Joanna remarks on what a wonderful time they must be having, and Quentin says "I'm happy for my cousin Elizabeth. She's spent most of her life cooped up in this house. She ought to get out and see the world. It can be a wonderful place sometimes." There's another knock at the door, and this time it's Lori. She sees Quentin with Joanna, and asks her sister how Boston was. "I'd like to speak to Quentin alone for a moment, if you don't mind." Quentin says he minds, and Lori snaps "You might not want my sister to hear what I have to say." Joanna asks what's going on, and Lori says "Just a private business arrangement between Quentin and myself." Joanna glares at Lori and says "I'm not a child, Lori. You don't have to look after me." Lori takes Joanna aside and says "You don't know enough about Quentin Collins, dear sister. Trust me." Quentin tells Lori she ought to leave. Lori says point blank "How did you know what to do last night and what do you know about a man named Chris Jennings?" Quentin has no answer, and turns away from a confused Joanna.

Maggie comes downstairs in the old house where Barnabas and Julia are. She sees Barnabas is upset and asks him what is wrong. He says "Nothing....Maggie." Maggie apologizes and says she doesn't mean to intrude, though she has noticed Angelique and Barnabas arguing. "I...hope you can work this out," she awkwardly says before leaving. Julia says "She seems perfectly normal. Are you sure about what you told me?" Barnabas nods and says "I've never been more sure of anything in my life. I don't know why she's acting the way she is now when I know she is really Josette!" He looks out the window as we cut to Angelique walking in the woods. She comes out by some rocks and stops to rest. "I shouldn't be jealous of Julia..." we hear her think. "But there's something else going on with Barnabas, I can tell.... something he's not telling me...." She changes her expression. "Stop it... oh, stop it! This is how you used to behave...always suspicious, always jealous. Barnabas could keep no secrets from me.... I wonder if he was right....about the powers I was left with after our battles with Nicholas...are they corrupting my heart?" Suddenly her thoughts are interrupted by Maggie's "Hello, I didn't mean to startle you." Angelique says it's okay, and she was only thinking. "Thinking about Barnabas?" Maggie asks. Surprised, Angelique says. "I don't know what you mean by that." Maggie says "I don't mean to pry, but he seemed a little upset before I left the house. I've also heard you arguing. Sometimes it's nice to have a girlfriend to talk to." Angelique had been angry, but now seems disarmed. "I'm sure it's nothing. There's been some stressful things lately." Maggie looks out at the waves. "Oh? I suppose looking out at the ocean calms you?" Angelique says "Perhaps. Didn't your father find the sea soothing? Barnabas told me how he loved to paint such things." Maggie smiles at Angelique. "My father?" she says. "You don't remember him?" Angelique says no, she's never met him. Maggie laughs. "Of course you have, you used to work for him, remember? But that was long ago, so long ago. And look at you, still beautiful, aren't you Angelique? Do you manage to keep that beauty through your spells?" Angelique steps away and says "What are you talking about?" Maggie glares at Angelique. "You know exactly what I speak of, handmaiden. Look at me now, look at my face. Isn't it the face you always hated because Barnabas loved it so much?" Angelique shudders and says "Josette! You are still Josette! But that's impossible!" Maggie laughs and says "Impossible for you to destroy, that's all. I have come back, back to haunt you, and back to return Barnabas to his only true love, me!' Angelique shouts "No! That's not true! You shall never have him!" Angelique gets tougher and says "I still have my powers, and while I tried to erase you from Maggie Evans, now I shall destroy you both!" Maggie laughs and says "You have no power over me, don't you understand? But my spirit has powers...look, Angelique. Look in the clouds. Remember how you told me to look in the clouds? Look at them now....look at the face of my vengeance...." Angelique resists for a moment, but then looks into the clouds. The clouds swirl a bit with the waves crashing below as a figure begins to come into focus. Maggie begins to speak "Look into the clouds, handmaiden! Behold your fate! Will Barnabas love you when you look like this?" The figure sharpens into focus - it's Angelique, but her hair is ragged and tangled with seaweed - her face is horribly disfigured the way Josette's was, with an eyeball protruding and deep jagged gashes everywhere. Her jaw hangs almost loose and her arms, bent and twisted out of shape, seem to be reaching out towards the normal Angelique on the cliff's edge as the apparition lets out a horrible moan. Angelique screams "No! No! Get away from me!" She starts to lose her footing as we see the waves pounding below....Angelique slips a little as Maggie laughs....