Monday, January 25, 2010

Episode 1471

Aired: Monday February 13, 1972

In a replay of Friday's close, Maggie has come upon Angelique at Widow's hill and is taunting her. Angelique shudders and says "Josette! You are still Josette! But that's impossible!" Maggie laughs and says "Impossible for you to destroy, that's all. I have come back, back to haunt you, and back to return Barnabas to his only true love, me!' Angelique shouts "No! That's not true! You shall never have him!" Angelique gets tougher and says "I still have my powers, and while I tried to erase you from Maggie Evans, now I shall destroy you both!" Maggie laughs and says "You have no power over me, don't you understand? But my spirit has powers...look, Angelique. Look in the clouds. Remember how you told me to look in the clouds? Look at them now....look at the face of my vengeance...." Angelique resists for a moment, but then looks into the clouds. The clouds swirl a bit with the waves crashing below as a figure begins to come into focus. Maggie begins to speak "Look into the clouds, handmaiden! Behold your fate! Will Barnabas love you when you look like this?" The figure sharpens into focus - it's Angelique, but her hair is ragged and tangled with seaweed - her face is horribly disfigured the way Josette's was, with an eyeball protruding and deep jagged gashes everywhere. Her jaw hangs almost loose and her arms, bent and twisted out of shape, seem to be reaching out towards the normal Angelique on the cliff's edge as the apparition lets out a horrible moan. Angelique screams "No! No! Get away from me!" She starts to lose her footing as we see the waves pounding below....Angelique slips a little as Maggie laughs....

After the titles, Angelique gets her footing back as the horrible vision hovers in front of her. Maggie laughs and tells Angelique how "you will look no better after your bashed and battered remains wash up on the beach, as I did..." Angelique turns away from the apparition and directly at Maggie with hatred in her eyes. "You will never destroy me!" she shouts as she raises her own hands and casts a spell. "Sprit begone!" she begins. "I command you to return to the grave where you belong! You will haunt me no longer!" Maggie weakens a bit, but then comes back stronger and seems to will Angelique closer to the edge. "I am too powerful for you now," Maggie says. Angelique tries to fight back, but sees that she cannot muster the strength. She steps aside and gets away from the edge, stepping back into the woods. The apparition vanishes, and Maggie calls out "You cannot escape your destiny Angelique! I will have my revenge, and I shall have Barnabas too!" Angelique runs into the woods in a near panic. As she runs, we hear her thinking. "How could this be? How could she resist my powers? How could she have them of her own?" Angelique stops to rest a moment. "It would be so easy to kill her...but then what could I tell Barnabas? He'd think of her as Maggie....he MUST think of her as Maggie Evans." A new realization comes over her. "What if Maggie Evans were to die, but the spirit of Josette were to go on?" she says aloud. "I must find a way to rid myself of Josette DuPres once and for all....I must!" Back at Collinwood, Quentin is avoiding explaining things to Joanna and Lori. Joanna asks him what "great mystery" is going on, and he and Lori only look at each other. Lori is about to say something when David walks in. Lori quickly changes the subject and tells David that she probably won't be needing him in the lab this week. David is disappointed and says that he's finding the work very interesting. This seems to annoy Quentin, who excuses himself and leaves the room. David notices Lori's reaction and thinks a moment.

A shaken (but not stirred) Angelique walks through the woods on her way back to the old house when she bumps into Julia. Angelique simply says "Excuse me," and tries to get by, but Julia notices her emotional state and says "Angelique, what happened?" Angelique says nothing, but Julia says "You look like you've been through a terrible fright." Angelique is surprised at her sympathy, and says "You actually care?" Julia says "I know you don't believe me when I tell you I'm no threat to you, but..." Angelique says "I haven't been very fair to you, have I?" She starts to walk around Julia. "I've never understood your friendship with Barnabas, why you are so devoted to him. When you arrived in 1840, traveling through time, you were expecting Barnabas to follow you, yet you pretended to be his sister and not his wife. I found that very interesting..." Julia cuts her off with "What are you getting at?" Angelique replies "You care for Barnabas, yet do not want to possess him. I'm not sure if that has to do with you, or if it has to do with you being raised in this century and not mine. But our differences may mean nothing at all if the angry spirit around us all is not banished to whence it came." Julia asks what Angelique means by "angry spirit," and Angelique says "Maggie Evans is possessed by Josette, and she just tried to kill me on Widow's Hill." Julia gasps, and says "Maggie! She's completely reverted to Josette! Just like Ba..." before she stops herself from revealing what Barnabas told her about his feelings for Josette. Angelique asks "What were you going to say?" Julia turns away and says "I meant, just like Barnabas had intended when he was first let out of his coffin in 1967... but he's a completely different person now!" Angelique says "I know. He loves me now, not her. I must find a way to get rid of Josette's spirit." Julia thinks a moment and says "Yes.... Josette must be eliminated if Barnabas is to be truly safe..." Surprised, Angelique says "So, at last we are on the same side!" Julia smiles and says "Yes, I suppose we are. But only because we have a common enemy." Angelique says "Perhaps. But we also have a common heart for Barnabas." Julia thinks that one over as we cut to the old house where Barnabas paces. He looks at his own portrait and thinks "What am I to do? In the same dilemma I was back on Martinique so long ago....and the wrong decision led to such misery.... but I cannot deny my love! I cannot!" Suddenly there is a knock at the door, and Barnabas walks to it saying "Angelique? Angelique?" He opens the door, and it's Maggie. "You!" he says, trembling. Maggie walks in and closes the door behind her, saying "Yes, me, Barnabas....my love...." before she throws her arms around him and they kiss.

David is still in the drawing room when Quentin returns. Quentin asks if Lori and Joanna have both gone, and when David says yes, Quentin remarks "Then it's safe for me to come in" and pours himself a drink. "I thought you liked them," David says. Quentin says he does, but then keeps himself from saying anything else. David starts to talk about how interesting Lori's work is, but Quentin cuts him off. "I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the idea of you working for her," he says. David asks why, and Quentin says "Well.... it just seems as if you could take interests in other things as well." David protests "I like science! Why should I waste time with things that don't interest me at all? You once told me that I'd have to learn about all sorts of things if I was going to travel the world like you." Quentin says "Yes, I guess I did tell you that. But I'm not sure why Lori wants you to help. I don't think she's interested in helping your scientific career ideas as much as she is about snooping into our family." David answers "If her father is married to my aunt Elizabeth, doesn't that make her part of the family?" Quentin answers "That's not what I meant. I don't think you should be so quick to trust her!" David snaps "Just because you don't trust her is no reason I shouldn't." Quentin tells David "I just don't think certain things should go outside the family, that's all. The wrong information in the wrong hands can be very dangerous...." Quentin stops himself from blabbing anything and takes another drink. Curious, David asks "What kind of family information?" Quentin says "Nothing. Forget I said anything." David says "What secrets are you talking about? What could they have to do with Lori?" Quentin angrily snaps "David, it's not your concern!" David angrily answers "How do I know it's not my concern if you won't tell me the truth?" He storms out of the room as Quentin calls after him to no avail. Quentin slams the doors of the drawing room and then thinks "David....I just don't know how I can tell you the secrets Lori has uncovered....no matter what Harrison told me about our future, I just don't know how to tell you who and what I really am...and how in another reality.....my ghost wanted to kill you...." Quentin gulps his drink.

Barnabas and Maggie are still embraced when a sound of footsteps approaches. Barnabas panics and says "Angelique! She's returned! You must leave immediately!" Maggie clings to him and says "Let her see us together! She cannot harm us!' Barnabas says gravely "You have no idea how wrong you are...." The steps approach the door, and Barnabas says "Get upstairs, quickly!" Maggie gives him a loving look and runs upstairs right before the door opens. Angelique and Julia come in. Angelique runs to Barnabas and hugs him. He takes a moment to respond, but does. She tells him she's been through "a horrible fright." Curious, he asks what happened. Julia answers "Maggie Evans tried to kill her." Shocked, Barnabas says "What? How?" Angelique says "She's possessed, Barnabas! Possessed! Something Nicholas Blair did to her as a last attempt to destroy us! She is possessed by the spirit of Josette!" Feigning innocence, Barnabas says "Really? How do you know this?" Angelique answers "Barnabas, she tried to kill me! And things she said to me were things only Josette would know!" Julia asks Barnabas if he's seen Maggie, and Barnabas doesn't answer. Only then does Julia see that Maggie dropped a handkerchief on the stairway, and Julia says "I....I need to go upstairs for a moment." She picks up the handkerchief and runs upstairs as Barnabas agonizes "Whatever happened to that girl is all my fault. What kind of happiness could I deserve after destroying so many?" Angelique says "If that's how you feel, you must include me in that as well. I made you into that destroyer." Barnabas answers "That's not what I said." Angelique hugs him again and says "Hold me, Barnabas! Hold me and tell me I'm the only one for you! Tell me you can forgive me!" Barnabas starts to speak, but hesitates, just long enough for Angelique to look at him, horrified. "You can't....something has changed you....." She suddenly pushes him away. "You've been with her! I can tell! You've been with her and you want your precious Josette back!" Barnabas answers "No! That's not true!" Angelique angrily snarls "You will never have her, Barnabas! NEVER!" Angelique storms out of the house as Barnabas frets. Julia comes back downstairs and looks condescendingly at Barnabas. "Angelique knows, doesn't she?" Barnabas nods, and says "And that cannot be good for any of us." Julia shrugs and says "For any of us or for you? By the way, Maggie is gone, she must have left by the back stairway to the old servant's quarters." Barnabas looks at Julia surprised, and Julia continues "She dropped her handkerchief on the way upstairs before Angelique and I arrived, and the scent of her perfume was still in the air. You used to be much better at keeping secrets, Barnabas." Barnabas humphs and says "I also used to be better at keeping them from myself, it seems." He and Julia look at each other.