Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Episode 1472

Aired: Tuesday February 14, 1972

Nancy Barrett's voiceover: "Collinwood has always been a place of legends and mystery, no matter who lived here or when. A strange phenomena has been occurring in parts of the great estate, and the things it will lead to will change the lives of the people living here, as well as people no longer living...."

Vicky answers the door to Collinwood and lets Stokes in. He has an armload of books, which he says may "help to shed some light on the strange things you told me over the telephone." Carolyn comes out of the drawing room to say hello, and Stokes tells her "I may have some answers for you as well, Carolyn, as far as Leticia Faye is concerned." Carolyn looks interested.

After the titles, Vicky, Carolyn and Stokes are sitting in the drawing room discussing the strange things they have seen or dreamed. Stokes explains how dreams "can often be the subconscious memories of past lives manifesting themselves, or could be psychic messages. There's really no way to be absolutely sure." Carolyn asks why she would dream of living at Collinwood in the 1840s, and Stokes tells her how Leticia Faye is the main clue. "Leticia Faye was a carnival psychic performer at that time who married into the Collins family." Carolyn remarks how she had no idea her "prestigious family" had such a colorful background. Stokes tells her that the man she married, Desmond Collins, was not a direct ancestor of any of the family living in Maine today. "But the fact that she did live here, and during a time of some crisis in the family, may explain why her spirit may have left a presence here." Carolyn and Vicky ask what that struggle was, and Stokes says "It had to do with the original Quentin Collins, a struggle over the control of the estate, and accusations of witchcraft." Vicky gets uncomfortable at the mention of a witch trial, and Stokes apologizes. "Suffice to say that Quentin Collins went through the same false accusations you told me about, Miss Winters. He was cleared, as well as his cousin Desmond, who went on to marry Leticia Faye." Carolyn is pleased the story has a happy ending, but Stokes adds "That's what puzzles me. I don't understand as yet why the spirit of Miss Faye would invade your dreams. Why you? What could your connection with that woman possibly be?" Vicky mentions how they found her diary in the basement lab, and Stokes says that since it was once Quentin's lab, he must see the evidence of the strange phenomena Vicky described. They are about to head off for the basement when David walks in. He tells Carolyn and Vicky that he's heading into town, and Vicky says she'll talk about his science reading with him later. After David leaves, Stokes remarks on David's interest in the sciences, and Carolyn says "He's been working in Lori Slater's medical lab and really likes it." Stokes replies "Interesting..."

In the lab, Stokes is investigating the desk and how parts have been restored to new while others still look old and dusty. "And you saw a strange light cover the desk before this happened?" he asks. Vicky says yes, and tells Stokes that she saw the "same light in the West Wing. But when I went to see the room where the light was, the door was locked." Stokes looks concerned. "I'm not sure you'd want to open that door, Miss Winters, it could be very dangerous if what I'm thinking is correct." Vicky asks what he's thinking, and Stokes explains "Quentin Collins dabbled in breaking barriers through time itself in this laboratory, and was partially successful. Recent disturbances in time may have opened a rift of sorts, centered in this laboratory. That rift could be opening and closing in different places, affecting different parts of the house." Carolyn asks how that could restore an old desk, and Stokes says "Not quite restore, Carolyn, but return it to its original time. The light you saw may have caused parts of this desk to simultaneously exist in two different bands of time." Vicky says that's impossible, but Stokes says "Allow me to demonstrate." He picks up an old dusty and crumbling paper from one corner of the room. "This old piece of sheet music is from the early nineteenth century, existing in this poor condition here in 1972. If I'm correct, the reflection of light from the restored areas of the desk should have an interesting effect..." He passes the paper over the desk, and as it passes the restored part, it too looks new, crisp and sharp - and then changes again to looking old, yellowed and crumbled as he continues to pass it by the old and dusty part of the desk. Vicky and Carolyn gasp. Stokes sighs and says "Exactly as I thought. This desk hasn't really been restored. We're actually looking at it as it was over a hundred years ago." Vicky looks closer at it and says "So....if I had opened the door of the room where I saw the light...I'd see the room as it appeared then?" Stokes answers "Possibly. But with a phenomena like this, one never knows what one may see. You could have seen any possibility of time in that room, Miss Winters. Just like that room in the east wing that Barnabas discovered, an entirely different universe could exist in there now. It's good that the door was locked." Vicky thinks a moment and says "I'm not so sure about that, Professor." Carolyn asks Vicky what she means and Vicky answers "I can't explain it, really. Call it intuition of sorts. But something compelled me to see what was in that room." Stokes wonders why,

David knocks at the door of Lori's lab for a while before trying the knob and entering. He looks around and calls for her, but she's not there. He hears a sound, and when he follows it, is surprised to find Chris Jennings in one of the rooms. David runs to him and asks him how long he's been back, and where Amy is. Chris tells him that "I'm only visiting for a little while....I'll be heading back to Boston soon." David asks him how he knows Lori, and Chris lies that he had met her in Boston. David remarks how everyone would want to see Chris, and Chris lies again that "perhaps before I go back I'll stop by and say hello. But if you could do me a favor David, I'd like to keep it all a surprise." David says "A surprise?" Chris nods, and says "Don't tell anyone you saw me here just yet. The only other person besides Lori who knows is Julia. I.... I bumped into her in town." David says "This town is too small to keep those kinds of secrets in." David asks what time Lori will be back, and Chris says he's not sure. David says "Well, I thought she'd be here by now. I mean, it's after five already. Probably be dark soon, and..." Chris goes into a near panic and says "Near dark... David, you should really be getting on home. I'll tell Lori you were here." David wants to stop and leave Lori a note, but Chris gets more agitated and insistent that David leave. David doesn't understand it as Chris grows more angry and shoves David out the door before locking himself behind an iron door in the back of the lab. Outside, we hear David thinking "What's wrong with him? That was so weird, the way he acted.... it's like he's hiding something. I wonder if that's why Lori didn't want me around.....Lori and Chris...and Quentin was angry..." Suddenly, he thinks he knows. "Great," he says. "I'm in the middle of Quentin and Chris fighting over a girl." He walks away, and we see that Brian has been watching from the woods.

David arrives back home, and after a moment, there is a knock at the door. It's Brian, who tells David he came looking for Carolyn. "I don't know if she's around, I just got back," David answers. Brian says "Back from your job? I heard you were working with Dr. Slater." David grumbles "I don't know about that anymore. I don't think she wants me around now." Brian asks "Why is that?" David says he'd rather not go into it. "Nothing you did, I trust?" Brian says. David protests "No! I did great work! That medical stuff is very interesting to me." Brian smiles and says "I know how you feel. I think I was about your age when I started getting interested in it myself. Though, I don't know if you'd find my own research as interesting as hers." Carolyn comes downstairs and says hello. Brian kisses her hand, and says he was passing by and "took the chance you'd be here. I realized I had no dinner companion for this evening and I wondered if you were facing the same dilemma." Carolyn smiles and says "I might be." David asks Carolyn if Stokes was able to help her, and Carolyn says "He had a lot of new information on Leticia Faye, but I'm not sure what my connection to her is." Brian asks who Leticia Faye is, and Carolyn answers "A psychic who lived at Collinwood in 1840. And for some reason, she wrote my name in her diary." Brian gets very interested. "Fascinating..." he says. "Do you have any idea why that might be?" Carolyn answers "None." David tells Brian that Collinwood is "full of strange ghosts." Brian says "I don't doubt it." Carolyn says she'll only need a minute to go upstairs to get ready for dinner, and Brian says "I'm looking forward to it more now. I may be able to help you with Leticia Faye." Carolyn asks how, and Brian says "I have some experience in spiritualism. We can talk about it over dinner." Carolyn smiles and says "Sounds like good conversation." She goes upstairs as David heads towards the drawing room. Brian says "David, wait a moment. I haven't forgotten about you. I can tell you're upset that Dr. Slater no longer needs your assistance, but perhaps you can do some work for me, if you like." David smiles and says "Really?" Brian nods.