Friday, February 19, 2010

Episode 1490

Aired: Friday March 9, 1972

Alexandra Moltke's voiceover: "My name is Victoria Winters. In a bizarre and terrifying parallel world, I am being told the story of another Victoria Winters and how she died there, told by that world' counterpart of a man I once loved. The other world is eerily like my own, the only differences determined by the choices made by those who live there. For that world's Barnabas Collins, the choices made were choices of evil, and choices leading down the road of destruction. But the more I hear of this haunting tale, the more I am convinced of the reason I was drawn to this strange place, hidden through the waves of time in an abandoned west wing room at Collinwood..."

Burke and Hoffman rush to the door of Burke's hotel room and start to unlock it. Burke yells "Don't worry, David, it's us," before he opens the door and finds a jittery David holding a cross. Hoffman nods and says "Very good, David. You've protected yourself just like I told you. Windows are locked, crosses in place. Good....good..." Burke tells David "We need your help. I saw Sarah." David says "You did? Where?" Burke says "Near Collinwood...David, listen...I don't know how to tell you this but....." David asks "What?" Burke says "Look, you've got to know since you'll find out sooner or later. It's about Carolyn." David gets scared and says "What happened to Carolyn?" Burke says "She's....she's gone, David. I'm sorry." David yells "Gone? What do you mean gone?" Hoffman interrupts and says "Barnabas destroyed the Carolyn you knew, David. He made her one of the undead. But now, her spirit is free." David says "Her spirit? What about the rest of her?" Burke tells David to calm down, but tearfully, David asks "She's dead, isn't she? She's dead!" Burke tells David "You've got to be strong now, Davey. I grieve for her too, but we've both got to be strong or more people are going to die too! If you help me, we can save them! We can save Vicky and everyone else under Barnabas Collins' power!" Hoffman tells David what Sarah told them, and David thinks a moment and says "She never told me where she's from..... where they put her? I don't know what that means." Hoffman says "I think we both know she's a ghost, David. Her clothes looked like clothes from more than a century ago. Where would they have put her body if she's a ghost?" David thinks a moment and then says "There's an older cemetery where some of my ancestors are buried. It's called Eagle Hill." Burke and Hoffman look at each other. "David, you stay here and keep everything locked tight. Let's get up there," Burke says.

After the titles, Burke and Hoffman are searching through the Eagle Hill cemetery with flashlights. Hoffman remarks that they haven't seen a grave for anyone named Sarah. Burke says "I'm wondering about something, doctor. What kind of connection could there be between the centuries old ghost of a little girl and Barnabas Collins?" Hoffman says "Are you thinking what I am? That she once knew Barnabas when he was human?" Burke nods. "I think we ought to be looking for any old graves of the Collins family." Hoffman remarks "There's a large mausoleum over that way. I'd assume a wealthy family would inter their dead in something like that." Burke says "Let's head over." Meanwhile, in the secret mausoleum room, Barnabas smiles at Vicky, who is wearing Josette's wedding dress and listening to the music box. "You look so beautiful.....as beautiful as my Josette," he says. "And tonight, you embark with me on a new life....an eternal life..." She smiles back at him. Barnabas begins "We shall return to the old house, and..." but then suddenly stops talking when he seems to hear something. "What is it, my love?" Vicky asks. "A foolish man," Barnabas answers. "A very, very foolish man." Outside the mausoleum, Burke and Hoffman shine their lights on the name "COLLINS" carved into the top. They move the squeaky gate and enter the mausoleum. Hoffman shines his light on the markers and reads aloud "Joshua Collins...Naomi Collins....Mr. Devlin! Look!" The two of them see the marker for Sarah Collins. Burke looks around and says "This is where they put her, all right...but I don't see anything else here. What could she have meant?" Hoffman looks up and says "Open the lion's mouth... that's what she said...open the lion's mouth. Look at the decorations above the markers." Burke sees the metal lions. They reach up and examine the one over Sarah's marker, and nothing happens. Hoffman sneezes and pats the dust off his hands. "No one has been here in years, it seems," he says. As he says this, Burke notices the ring in the lions' mouth over Naomi Collins' marker. "Doctor, look at that one. There's no dust on it. There's no dust on that ring in the lion's mouth." Burke grabs the ring, and the secret door begins to open. Burke is about to enter, but Hoffman cautions him and says "We need to be very careful here. You'd better let me go first." Reluctantly, Burke lets Hoffman, gun in hand, go into the room first. In the room, Hoffman sees 2 coffins side by side and gasps, right before Barnabas steps out of the shadows behind him and grabs him by the neck. "I had warned you, doctor! I had warned you!" Barnabas sneers. "Now you shall die!" Burke runs into the room and points his gun, but Barnabas moves Hoffman in front on him. "Let him go, Barnabas! There's been enough killing!" Barnabas laughs. "There's never enough killing, Devlin! Never enough until I have my Josette back! You cannot harm me with that crude pistol!" Burke says "The silver bullets in it will!" Barnabas smiles and answers "They must pierce my heart, did the good doctor tell you that? And it seems he's in the way!" Hoffman gasps "Shoot him, Devlin! Shoot him through my body if you have to! And destroy the coffins...the Holy Water in my bag...." From off to the side, Burke hears Vicky say "Burke, don't! Please don't shoot!" Burke turns to see Vicky in the wedding dress. "Vicky!" he shouts. "Come to me, quickly!" Hoffman yells "No, Devlin! Don't turn away! It's a trap! Fire the gun! Fire the gun!" Burke is about to fire the gun when Barnabas, in one movement, snaps Hoffman's neck and dematerializes. Burke fires the gun, but only at Barnabas' cackling apparition, who laughs "You're too late, Devlin, too late!" Burke runs to Hoffman's fallen body, and sees that he's dead. He looks up and shouts "Vicky! Vicky! Where are you?" He looks around the room and then says to himself grimly "There's no other way out of here.....except if...." and when he realizes it, he says "No....oh NO!" He takes the bottle of Holy Water from Hoffman's bag and splashes it on both the coffins, and they begin to smoke before crumbling into ashes. In shock, Burke grabs Hoffman's gun and takes it with his own as he runs out.

Burke barges into the old house with a gun in each hand. "Barnabas!" he shouts. "I know you're here! You've got no other coffin to go to and it's almost dawn! Come out here and face me!" He steps into the living room, and Roger suddenly swings the poker at him, nearly knocking the gun out of his hand. "You cannot destroy the master," Roger says. "I will enjoy killing you, Devlin..." Burke steps out of the way of another swing, and then fires one of the guns at Roger. Roger yells and falls to the floor. As Burke looks over the body, Barnabas suddenly appears behind him and grabs him. "And now, your turn, Devlin...." Barnabas shouts, moving his hands around Burke's neck, but Burke thinks fast and pushes backwards, slamming Barnabas into the fireplace and Burke breaks free of his grip. Burke turns as Barnabas bares his fangs, and fires the gun. Barnabas hollers in pain, but then forms a smile when he says "You missed my heart!" Barnabas lunges at Burke and tries to bite him as Burke pushes the gun right up into Barnabas' chest and says "This won't miss!" and fires a number of shots. Barnabas howls and backs off, holding his chest as Burke watches. He falls to the floor and when his face lifts up, his eyes suddenly lighten and the evil seems to vanish from him as he says sadly "Sarah...oh Sarah....the wicked are punished...." he starts to form a smile as he falls to the floor and then, like Carolyn, dissolves into nothing. Burke takes a deep breath and then says "Vicky!" before running towards the basement. In the basement, Burke sees two more coffins side by side and calls for Vicky, but gets no response. He takes the bottle of Holy water from his pocket and sprinkles it on both the coffins, which begin to smoke and crumble as they did in the mausoleum. Suddenly, Vicky appears and screams. "Noooo! Burke, what have you done?" She moves towards Burke, but he raises the gun. "Vicky, stay back! I had to do that!" Vicky steps towards him, and he begin to back up the stairs as she comes. "There's still time, Burke...still time before the dawn...time for us...." she says as she moves closer. Back in the living room, Burke backs away holding the gun on her as she approaches. Her eyes are dark, but she smiles at Burke seductively. "I can be yours now, Burke...we can have a new life together, a new kind of life that will go on forever..." Burke shouts "Not that life! It's not life, it's death! Stay back! I don't want to shoot you!" Vicky says "Look into my eyes, Burke. You cannot refuse me! We still have time before the dawn to sanctify new ground....but only if you look into my eyes...." Burke turns away and shouts "NO!" Vicky begins to move closer to him.....

Vicky commands "Look at me! Look at the woman you love...." Burke gets a little tearful. "I did love you, Vicky...but you're not Vicky anymore...you're like he was....an evil monstrous creature that must be destroyed! This all has to end! It must!" We hear a rooster crow, and a more frantic Vicky says "Burke! Look at me! You must sanctify a new coffin for me! I command you! Time runs short!" Burke turns towards her and says "I'm sorry....but this is the only way to save you now...." As the room begins to grow lighter, Vicky screams "Nooooo! Help me, Burke! Help me! The light! The light! It burns....." Burke says "I'd hoped to get there in time to save you, Vicky...but when I knew you had dematerialized as he did from the mausoleum, I knew you had become like him...this is the only way." Vicky screams "Noooooooo!" as a sunbeam comes through the window and hits her. Her screams grow louder before her eyes suddenly lighten and she sadly looks at Burke and he at her, and says "I....forgive...you..." He reaches out to her as she begins to vanish, but only manages to grab the end of the necklace he had given her. She vanishes in a terrible painful scream, leaving a devastated Burke only holding the necklace in his hands. He sinks to his knees and can only say "Goodbye, Vicky....goodbye...." We zoom in on him fingering the necklace and then dissolve to Vicky touching it as Burke finishes telling her the story in the west wing room. "And that was it," he says. "Liz took David and left here. She wanted to get as far from Collinwood and the horrible memories it held as she could. I couldn't leave for some reason. I guess I kept hoping you'd come back to me, somehow. I thought it was crazy, but then, here you are...from some sort of different world. What am I in that world, Vicky? You said everyone is there, only doing different things." Vicky tears up and says "You died, Burke. A plane you were on in South America...it..." Burke gasps. "It crashed. The plane I was supposed to be on crashed. I never took that trip, Vicky, I was too distraught over everything that had happened and I canceled all my business for months afterwards." He is overwhelmed by his next thought. "To think that all that horror somehow saved my life..." Vicky says "We never know the outcomes of the choices we make until they happen." Burke says "Vicky, you don't think that you from your world and me from mine...were meant to find each other again? After all this time?" Vicky answers "I don't know..." Burke says "You could stay here with me. We could build a life together...put some happiness back into this house filled with its darkness and shadows (heh, close one there!) Here, wipe your eyes." He hands her his handkerchief and she wipes the tears from her face before crumpling it into her hand. Vicky says "I don't know... I wonder about the people in my world... I wonder..." and as Vicky fingers the necklace, suddenly it unclasps and falls into her lap. She bends her head down to pick it up, and when she lifts her head, she's standing in the dark and empty west wing room of her own time. "Oh no!" she shouts. "Burke! Burke! Where are you!" Carolyn runs in and shouts "Vicky! Get out of there! Get out of there!" Vicky says "Carolyn! No, I can't! I've been there! I've been to that other world! I've talked to Burke!" Carolyn is amazed. "You have?" Vicky holds the necklace and then opens her hand to see Burke's crumpled handkerchief. "He gave me this....look! It has his initials on it!" Carolyn looks it over and asks "How did it all happen? How did you get back here?" Vicky says "I'm not quite sure...but I do know one thing. I've got to get back there. I know that now. I've got to get back there any way I can!"